Metadata Presets

PhotoLab offers no possibility to create metadata presets.

We therefore ask DxO to add such a feature.

Yes it’s obvious for IPTC and keywords.
To be specific to the metadata or included in the presets.

From my pont of view, it should be specific metadata presets.

Patrick

1 Like

It’s actually even worse than that; all versions prior to PLv5 had this feature - but, it has been “broken” with the inclusion of IPTC handling …

That is;

• Prior to PLv5, entries for UserEXIFAuthor & UserEXIFCopyright found in the default preset (as applied to newly encountered images) were applied to the sidecar/.dop file for all images.
    – and, it was also possible to create partial presets to apply these EXIF settings :ok_hand:

Now;

• When PLv5 encounters a sidecar/.dop file containing UserEXIF settings, as created by an earlier version of PhotoLab, it creates corresponding IPTC settings … which is good :+1:

• BUT , PLv5 does not respect IPTC settings in default presets - - this feature has been “broken” :-1:

A suggested solution would work as follows;

• If there are IPTC = {ContactCreator & StatusCopyrightNotice} settings in our default presets … then PL should respect them - rather than taking metadata from the camera.

• Otherwise, creator & copyright metadata can be taken from the camera (if the camera provides it).

This would be an all-round Win-Win-Win solution;

• Backwards compatibility would be fully maintained
  • Those of us with default IPTC settings in our default presets would have them respected
  • Otherwise, IPTC metadata would be primed from camera values.

John M

3 Likes

You mean we can’t have a Mac-Mac-Mac solution? :crazy_face: :rofl: :roll_eyes:

Seriously though, this is totally logical and should be how it works.

3 Likes

I was assuming that it was implemented in the release… :innocent:

What i need is; (some have have already)

• IPTC template’s preferable 1 in automode an a few in partial template’s or a question for overwrite existing data.
  • Exif data editor multi image and single image.
  • a good keyword manager. (if i change a keywoord like “food” to “food & drinks” i would like the question popped up “change keyword attached to image’s also?” [yes/no]
  • keyword templete’s (less interesting because when you multi select and do this three time you have the same and more freedome in selecting.)

Peter

I didn’t vote for this, not because it’s not a good idea. It is. But if one starts to manage metadata in PhotoLab then gradually one requires a full scale metadata manager and editor. If you would like to know what a full scale metadata manager and editor is, PhotoMechanic offers a free trial.

I don’t know where all this will fit inside of PhotoLab while retaining the simplicity and design elegance of PhotoLab. Good luck ladies and gentlemen!

1 Like

Well i don’t instal a free trail of photomechanic.
If i do i can be spoiled and stop using Bridge or photolab and buy a too expensive tool for my use. :yum:
For one’s who do i understand there frustration like watching a toddler starting to walk.

But i am pleased to say, i am watching dxopl wiie using Bridge speak my thoughts and wait until i can switch “mastermanager”. Discard Bridge in the equasion.
I am not a heavy user nor a spoiled user of a DAM which evolved to a full blown metadata manager.
Socif there gone a be some small steps forward i am happy. Stil be carefull to switch to writing

Well then you’ll be ignorant forever about what real metadata management really entails. My point is that PhotoMechanic in PhotoLab will be awkward. But at the same time, as PhotoLab adds metadata management features, demand for new features will multiply. Then end result will be users asking for the granularity of PhotoMechanic.

You may as well look into your future.

2 Likes

I will as in watching youtube tutorials to grasp whats out there and whats needed to grow in. But what i ment in not installing is when i starting to find out after some of the setups, i understand first setup is a bitch, and find the full grown DAM i would be torn to buy something i didn’t know i needed.

So i choose to be in the “bridge level” of metadata management.
No judgement for others who don’t. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

PhotoMechanic is surely a nice metadata and search engine tool for an “editor” manager that needs strong multiple search criteria. From a “creator/photographer” point of view, I agree that during the editing process it would be great to have a quick tool to name, tag, mark, keyword and metadata fill-in without managing another software and juggle with different window interfaces.

Adding constant data like photographer datas (name, function, website…) are time consuming and should not be an extra. Adding an IPTC preset feature is effortless from a developing point of view but it’s worth doing and won’t kill the light ergonomy of PL5.

3 Likes

No more reaction for this missing feature ? So boring, time consuming (and not very professional for a raw editor software) to copy and paste from one photo to the other while waiting for an update with this feature…

PhotoLab is a RAW editor not a metadata tool. There almost no metadata in PhotoLab at all until v5.

So unprofessional to demand advanced metadata editing tools from a RAW developer, when you could just go and buy a metadata management application which have these tools in spades.

Most of PhotoLab users are far more interested in the RAW developer part, including timely updates for new camera bodies and (finally) support for mobile phone DNG.

3 Likes

“Unprofessional” is an inappropriate term. We do only ask here about a Metadata preset, just because after using PL5 deeply and ONLY PL5, we are asking ourself legitimately why should I search for a photo with an already fulfilled metadata details to copy/paste recurring metadata infos (name, url, phone, copyright, etc) instead of choosing one or more metadata preset from a list ?

PhotoLab is a professional RAW editor software mainly used by professional photographers or enthusiast. photographers with the same goal.
DXO received a TIPA award for the “Best Imaging Software Professional” category.
And last but not least, in the DXO Photolab’s website, one of the new “advanced” PL5 features is :

Metadata management in PhotoLibrary
Modify, categorize, and search for images more easily with EXIF and IPTC metadata editing.

To plagiarize a famous writer, To be or not to be a PhotoLibrary ?
Sorry but it’s difficult to hide that PL5 is now more than a Raw editor…

As many of us here, we discuss how to improve DXO Products whose first target is professional photographers (tell me if I’m wrong…) and I don’t think we’re asking the moon by proposing something that cost nothing in terms of software development and can help a lot to give a good professional look and feel to PL. Marketers use to name it “experience” but maybe as a professional photographer my exigence is too high or PhotoLab is not the right choice for my basic needs that are managing a classic digital workflow from shooting to editing and archiving photos (only by processing photo with embedded Metadata). I don’t need to catalog, print or publish with PL because as you already said it, there are dedicated software for this.

3 Likes

I understand that people would like to use one and the same tool for EVERYTHING.
But to me this makes no sense. PhotoLab is an excellent RAW editor!!! That is what I use it for.
Metadata management until PhotoLab 4 was virtually non-existent. I consider that a pro. No distracting metadata. Good.
For my image management I prefer to use PhotoSupreme from IDImager. It does metadata management and keyword tagging very, very well.
I think a raw editor and an image cataloging software are two very different pieces of software. That’s exactly why I don’t like Adobe Lightroom. It does a decent job at RAW editing, but is very poor at cataloging. But unfortunately one cannot get rid of the cataloging bloatware in Lightroom.
Now PhotoLab is going into that same direction. They should stick to what they are really got at and not get sidetracked by developing metadata tools that already exist and where other programs really excel.

3 Likes

Just a simple - Yes!

1 Like

I know that some of you are happy with PS, and I’ve tried it (and buy it) at some point of time as my previous workflow was not supported anymore.
But I found it very strange, first to define preferences to avoid multiple unwanted keywords created, and finally when I come back to a folder previously defined, I saw some thumbnails going in B&W while they were in color…

So I’ve been very happy to see a basic DAM in DPL which covers perfectly my simple needs to add no hierarchical keywords, title, description city…

Ironically, I had planned to use PhotoSupreme 3 years ago, but I could not go ahead because of an installation bug issue(active internet connection required) that could not give me access to a trial licence without any reason (I was connected for sure with my ISP, never installed before, tried with antivirus/firewall unactivated, no VPN, proxy etc .) !
After the lack of support, I finally gave up with a bad taste for a first contact with this software that was recommended right here.
Sometimes it’s better to know that before loosing too much time.

Presets would be welcome with all this metadata.

1 Like

There is value in providing “standard” metadata presets (look at Capture One for a solid example). For “advanced” metadata management, Photo Mechanic may be the answer.