Lens Module Correction Issue

I’ve discovered a specific issue with the DxO lens correction module for the Nikkor Z 14-30mm f/4 S and the Nikon Z6, with both PL 4 and PL 5 (latest versions). On most images, the correction works flawlessly. However, I’ve encountered an issue with images taken in low light at 14-15mm at f/4. Specifically, the automatic vignetting correction isn’t sufficiently strong (e.g., dark corners are present). Here’s a link to one such image: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Enabling/disabling ‘Auto with DxO Optics Module’ doesn’t seem to have any visible effect. I can use manual vignetting corrections to address most of this, but I’m surprised it isn’t corrected automatically. I suspect this has some relation to automatic Nikon lens corrections, but I don’t know for sure. Opening the image in the latest version of Photoshop (using the built-in lens correction) shows less of an issue in the corners.

Or is there something I should have done differently?

As far as I can see in DPL5, the module is recognized correctly, but the tools remain in “manual” position and cannot be changed to “module based”, as can be seen in the screenshot.

I tried the vignetting tool. Although it shows the correction to be at “100”, I have to lower that value to about “66” to compensate the vignetting.

Good morning!

Yep, I can also see that Vignetting correction does not apply the vignetting properly. I’ve sent the issue to the dedicated team.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Thank you!

I’ve discovered that the same thing seems to be happening with both my Z 24-70mm f/4S and my AFP Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6E ED VR on my Z6 (i.e., changes in ‘Auto’ don’t seem to have any effect, unlike ‘Manual’).

And I seem to be having similar issues with ‘Auto with DxO Optics module’ in the distortion panel…

Good morning!

Could you, please, share these files as well in order we can correct the issue?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Of course:

Thank you! The files have been sent for the investigation and correction.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello @jch2103 ,

we will fix this issue for the Optics module release of beginning of December.
Do you have other lenses ?
Can you tell me if you use a software to transfer images or something like that ? Because your images don’t have Exif tag Sofware which is the cause of troubles :frowning: we will update modules to avoid that issue.

Regards,
Marie

1 Like

I’ll check for other images. I copied images from my camera memory card to laptop via Windows Explorer, and from there to my desktop to a portable SSD to my desktop (also via Win Explorer). On my laptop, I had added various metadata (description, location, rating, etc.) using IMatch 2021.10.2, which uses ExifTool version 12.31.

Which exact tag is missing? The image processed in PL has the tag XMP::\tiff\Software\Software\0 with a value of ‘Ver.03.31’. I compared the image on the desktop that I had used w/ PL with a new copy from the memory card. Both have the same ‘software’ tag, with the same value. However, the image straight from the card also has the tag Exif::\Main\305\Software\0 with the same ‘Ver.03.31’ value. You can see this image at Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. (It’s the same image at the one I previously provided with the name 2021-10-16 12-36-13 NIKON Z 6.NEF.)

Comparing PL processing of the image I had sent you with the image straight from the card, the image straight from the card shows the proper vignetting correction. I will check with both IMatch and ExifTool to see what might have caused the second tag to vanish.

EDIT
I was able to track down and correct the Exif ‘Software’ tag problem in my images, which traced back to a small error in an ExitTool configuration file. Apparently this issue also affected some other PhotoLab users until they fixed it.

Thank you for the prompt response; it pointed me to the solution. You can consider this problem resolved.