Is the horizon tool a "straighten" tool? What am I not getting?!

Hi All,

I’d guess that the selection you make with the horizon tool would straighten the photo to match what you are telling PhotoLab is straight, but it doesn’t seem to work that way. In fact, it seems to straighten in exactly the wrong direction at times.

What the heck is going on?!

• Jon

Did you activated the perspective correction ?

Pascal

Yes. I use that. Does that screw up the horizon tool? Why would it?

• Jon

Do you mean “Distortion”? I don’t see “perspective correction”.

• Jon

It depends on the order of execution

• Horizon and then Perspective is OK

I speak about ViewPoint perspective.

Pascal

If you haven’t purchased Viewpoint you won’t see the perspective correction panel in PL.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I haven’t. So then - why is the horizon tool NOT working properly? If I draw a straight line using the tool, why isn’t it straightening on that line?! It’s driving me crazy.

• Jon

Could you give us a example ?

Try drawing the line along the edge of the tilted horizon or object so that the line matches the tilt. My guess is you’ve been drawing a straight line as horizontal as you can get it, and expect the image to respond. But the software doesn’t know what’s off and to what degree until you select the angle with the line. Hope this is clear.

Mark

I think he misunderstood how to use the tool as I explained above

Mark

Ok, got it.

See here: https://youtu.be/GXEAxrTNkBo

So I straightened on the stage and applied the change. Then, I show you that it is in fact NOT straight by loading the cropping tool. See how it’s not straight? Why not?

Thanks in advance!

• Jon

I saw and I can’t replicate it.
Give this image to helpdesk.

Pascal

Watching this this popped up in my mind:
you set the line left off the middle not completly end to end.
And using a crossline of tiny take horizontal and vertical lines arn’t 90 degrees.
Its leaning over to right.
The podium is leveled and the other horizontal lines are too.
Its more a perception thing.
look at the neon thing: it isnt square but crooked leaning right.

Step one: perception lines, make the neon figure lines 90 degrees or visual straight.(use grid.)
step two: horizon lines. (sometimes the lowest line isn’t the line which levels the image: i think i would use the lights, spots and neon figure to level. (that’s what your eyes is drawn to.)

Do you mean perspective rather than perception? I’m not sure if he has Viewpoint to make perspective changes.

Mark

No - I did the 30 day trial of Viewpoint, but didn’t license/buy it.

This issue happens no matter where I put my horizon selection points.

• Jon

I think his point was that If perspective is off there may be no absolute horizontal for everything. Certain things will be absolutely horizontal other’s won’t. The fact that the crop doesn’t line up with your horizontal line at the bottom just means you didn’t draw the horizontal line accurately enough and distortion adjustments automatically made to the image may throw things off a bit too.

Mark

1 Like

Yes sorry auto correction can be a b…
As far as i know, i have viewpoint, the “force parallel” tool and other angle tools are manual avaible. ( i did this before i got the “auto modes” of viewpoint always in SP7pro: using viewangles tools.)

I would start with visual straighten the neon figure and then using the spotlights lineup to level horizon. cutt of the stage border if it is distracting after that.

Hi Guys,

If I want the stage to be straight across horizontally, why can’t I do that?! It seems like I have to draw random guesses with the horizon tool until I get it straight. I appreciate your suggestions for fixing the image, but the basic problem I’m having is a big one for me! I need to be able to straighten dependably, of course.

• Jon

Unfortunately I am currently out and about and responding from my phone and viewing your video of what you were attempting to do on a very small screen. When I get home I will be able to view it on my 28 inch 4k monitor so perhaps I will then be able to give you more effective feedback on the difficulty you’re having unless somebody beats me to it.

Mark

Oh I see. Thanks Mark!

I finished editing my festival shots from the weekend, so it’s no rush! Just would really like to figure this out so that I don’t lose my mind in the future! :slight_smile:

• Jon