In PL5, should RAW file have DeepPrime applied before any other corrections?

I just started trial of PL5 but have used PureRaw for almost a year. In the instruction for PR, it was emphasized to process RAW files first & then export to whatever ‘editor’ you use to do your WB, lighting,colour etc. However in PL5 I see that the Denoising corrections all come after the other ones so does that mean I should follow the order of corrections in the Customize section rather than first using the Denoising corrections? I don’t want to start on the wrong path and thereby not give a fair trial to the PL5 software. Any guidance from experienced users would be appreciated!

Hi,
No, the order is not important because the image will be processed only at the export time.
What you see on your screen is only a (approximate ?) preview.

It doesn’t make any difference when you use DeepPRIME denoising. It is only applied to the image when you export it. In fact the order you apply most of the adjustments in PhotoLab doesn’t not make any real difference. However, as a general rule I would apply Local Adjustments after Global adjustments.

When using PureRaw you have to use DeepPRIME prior to an external editor because you can only apply it to a camera’s native raw file with the output being a linear DNG file. You can’t start Raw editing in a different app and then send the native raw file to PureRaw. You would lose all your edits.

Mark

1 Like

Thank you! That makes sense.

1 Like

I have processed my first Raw file into a jpeg which I can compare to the same image processed in PureRaw followed by Photoshop Elements (2020). I hope I will like what I was able to accomplish in PL5 because I would rather not continue with the Adobe products ecosystem! Thank you both again for your quick replies.

Keep n mind that PhotoLab lab is a raw processor and Elements is primarily a pixel editor. Two different paradigms. As such, Elements has many features not present in PhotoLab, true layers being a primary example.

Mark

Yes, I knew that. I don’t much care what the methodology is but what I am able to do with a given ‘program’. I have watched all the learning videos and gone through almost all of the TuTo ones so I have a fair idea how it will work. I would rather spend time taking photos than processing them but I do spend the time to learn how to use a program properly so I plan to go back to review the video-tutorials by Pascal P which are excellent. PL5 seems very intuitive to me & so far I have liked it. I have used many different raw processors & ‘editing’ programs over the years & am comfortable trying new ones.

1 Like

That’s great. Enjoy the journey. I have experience with over a dozen different post processing programs and for my needs PhotoLab is superior to all of them.

Mark

1 Like

Dear @gtagal / Cathy

welcome to the show that never ends :grinning:

Here is one link to a very good turorial made by one of the forum members Home - TuTo DxO

Have fun

best regards

Guenter

1 Like

Thanks, Guenter. I had already found and watched almost all of the tutorials posted by Pascal P. I agree they are excellent!

1 Like

Cathy,
@Pieloe (Pascal) will be pleased by your comment…

1 Like