In camera lens correction on or off?

Hello!

I am planning to buy a Sony Alpha 7 iii and already read a bit in the manual. As far as I understood the camera has a built in lens correction (for supported lenses) which writes at least the vignetting correction into the RAW data. Does PL recognize this or would it apply the correction a second time? So better switch off the in camera lens correction?
Btw, do you recommend to use compressed or uncompressed raw?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards, Volker

I can’t speak to the Sony Alphas, but generally speaking, when camera systems write settings directly to their raw files, that information is usually only available in the company’s own proprietary software. Nikon does this as well. When I edit raw files in Nikon’s NX Studio I can see all the in-camera settings. When I edit those same files in Photolab I do not see any of the in-camera settings.

Mark

1 Like

Hi Mark,

thanks for your quick reply. As far as I understood what I read on the internet in contrast to other vendors they really change the RAW file instead of adding some information read by there software. But maybe I misinterpreted the term “bake into the raw file” which I read several times, I am not a native speaker and didn’t find much information about this in German.

Best wishes, Volker

If you’re planning to use PhotoLab as your sole RAW development software, I would just turn it off and not have to worry about it.

Larry

4 Likes

Volker,

Once you have the camera, experiment by comparing images with those camera settings turned on and turned off. You should be able to quickly discover whether those settings have any effect on the raw files when edited in Photolab. But as Larry indicated, you can always just shut them off in camera to be certain.

Mark

1 Like

Thank you both!
You are right, I will play a bit with it when I have the camera and just switch it off as long as no one claims that the DXO corrections are generated with in camera corrections enabled.

I know for a fact that panasonic’s vignetting correction is “burnt in” the rawfile which cause overcorrection by the optical module. (so i turned it off.)
Downside ooc-jpegs and panorama shots have some vignetting.

1 Like

Thanks Peter!

1 Like

FWIW: I have a Sony Alpha 7 iii - and I have lens correction switched OFF in the camera settings … I rely on PL to make all the necessary corrections, and it does so very well.

JohnM

1 Like

My experience with the Canon R5 and RAW photos is that regardless of how you have the camera set, DXO strips out the lens corrections that the camera makes, and applies its own. This is very noticeable with the RF 24 - 240 lens. At the wide end, the uncorrected image is pretty much unusable because of the extreme vignetting. If you open the image in DXO and click “no correction” you will see the vignetting. As soon as you apply the lens correction it gets fixed. If you open the same image in Photoshop or any other program, it will have a different correction applied. DXO does a better job of correcting the vignette than the camera itself. Of course, other camera brands may work differently than Canon.

1 Like

Thanks guys!