How to show the "repair from" screen

I am following the discussion on this video on how to use the repair tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=fURQ1exfQPY&feature=emb_logo

I have the repair tool selected, and I click on a spot I want to repair. Nothing I do cause the “repair from location” to show up. The video just says to “click on it” to get it to show up, at which time I can move that spot to a more appropriate location.

I’m using a Mac.
I found that holding the SHIFT key allows me to adjust the FEATHERING.
What am I supposed to do to control the SIZE.
(Neither of these is critical, as I can just change either in the control window, but it would be nice if it worked as the video suggests it can.)

Oops, never mind. It works as intended IF the “show masks” button at the bottom is turned on.

So, my remaining question, what do I click or adjust to change the size of the repair circle? Again, this is on a Mac, Catalina if that makes a difference.

cmd+mouse wheel to adjust size.
For the repair to adjust, click the “show mask”? bottom right, same with the clone tool.

*edit, I think your question is in the wrong category. This is what feature do you need!

opt+cmd+mouse wheel to adjust size.

Oops, sorry, I’m new to these forums. I’ll try to find the correct place next time.

Thanks, Tom. I’m getting there, slowly. Help from here makes a big difference!!!

@mikemyers

That’s why I think videos are not the good media to learn a new software.
I took many time to write tutorials to give you a maximum of details.
And you can read it at your own pace :man_student:
Pascal

http://dxo.tuto.free.fr/index.html

4 Likes

The post is moved to the proper place.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m just old and senile. I found that page a couple of weeks ago, and if I remember correctly, it was suggested I open it in Firefox, so I installed Firefox.

To someone who knows next to nothing about PhotoLab 3, that page is totally confusing to me. Once I know more, it will be invaluable. What works for me, is to open one of the “how to” tutorials in my browser, open the DxO software, and whatever the fellow does in his video, I try to do the same thing on whatever photo I’m working with. It is very slow going, especially because I’m making notes, but presumably at the end of each step, I know one more thing about whichever DxO software I’m working with.

Not sure which version of PhotoLab you are working with, 2 or 3. I bought 3 but apparently I now also have 2 because it came along with Nik Collection, and I haven’t yet tried to remove it.

If I’m ever going to learn the DxO software, it will be through using it, and as I find something I want to do to my image, I try to find a video showing that.

The instructive web page didn’t seem intuitive at all to me, probably because I’m slow, old, and dense, and new things slowly sink in. I don’t know enough yet to correct an entire image, but once I know the “vocabulary” I hope I’ll have a good start. At that point, your write-up will certainly help me.

I know what I want to do to an image (such as my post about converting a gray sky to blue) but it seems like a struggle to find an answer. I’m 99% sure it’s somewhere in the “color wheel”, but to use that, I have to select a color before I can modify it, and in my case there’s no “color”, just gray.

Thanks, and thanks for taking the time to create your write-up. Like I said, at some point it is going to be a huge help to me, but I’m still in either kindergarten or the first grade… :slight_smile: …and despite that, I do usually succeed in improving my images, somewhat with “trial and error”.

Indeed.
Only the first tutorial is designed for beginners.

If your “in either kindergarten or the first grade” you must to find general information.
Find in google “photo raw first steps” for any software BUT keep in mind that PhotoLab is the good tool for you :wink:

Pascal

Can I ask why you bought Nik Collection as well as PhotoLab? As others have said elsewhere in this forum, Nik Collection is primarily for those who want to work on non-RAW files, whilst PhotoLab is for working on RAW and includes a lot of the Nik functionality.

Whatever you do, don’t try to use PhotoLab 2 on images that you’ve already edited in PhotoLab 3, the sidecar files are not backwards compatible.

Sure, ask anything. I bought Nik Collection 2 because it seemed like an excellent utility at the time. Maybe I didn’t need it.

Nik Collection 2 came complete with PhotoLab 2, which I want to delete as soon as I know it’s safe, and removing it won’t create any problems. I’ve never opened it, and I guess I’m not even sure I have it - the documentation said Nik Collection 2 would install PhotoLab 2, but the software was smart, it wouldn’t do that unless someone selected it.

I work on both RAW and JPG files. I use PhotoLab for both - seems to work OK, but I’m only shooting RAW now. Again, I didn’t realize what you just wrote - I thought Nik Collection worked on both RAW and JPG ??

I’ve seen very little of this forum - I’m out of town in India, and I’ve got three or four hours a day (late night) to learn. I have Photoshop, which came along for free when I subscribed to Lightroom. All my work eventually ends up in Lightroom.

From what you wrote, I will see if PhotoLab 2 is in my applications folder, and if so, move it to the trash - any reason not to do this?

I can highly recommend the DxO Youtube channel, especially the webinars (available in English, German and French). For the older versions you find complete editing sessions using many different tools. Even the DxO OpticsPro webinars are still mostly applicable. For PhotoLab 3 the webinars focus on the new tools.

Most of the Webinars are around one hour, so enough time to follow along and take notes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pieloe, I read (tried to) your page about ten days ago, and gave up as none of it made any sense to me. Since then, I’ve been watching videos, and struggling to learn. I just read your first page of instructions again, and this time not only did all of it make sense to me, I learned a lot of new things I was unaware of. Well done, and very helpful. I just needed a little help getting started. Thank you!!!

I’ll try everything you wrote about in the first instructions, then move on to the next set.

3 Likes