History managment. and editsettings copy paste functionality (putt together in one list.)

i didn’t made a feature request on history things but i talked about it in some other postes.
got me thinking of collecting the idea’s, so here i go:

-1- a history-log which is recording editing wile application is open, - so you can go back to a earlier adjustment moment by opening a editting log and scroll towards the point you want to go back to and click on that point. (this is the most common historytool)

The dopfile which records the last settings. (is available) (indicating which preset is used is in backlog i believe.)

-2- So maybe a function to lock dopfile so that if you change something wile you locked the dopfile earlier of the original rawfile, it creates automatic a virtual copy, so you don’t ruïn your final settings if you want to change temporaly for a other export type. (add a lock icon in open and closed.) (so you can lock finished files to prevent unwanted changes.)

-3- adding a “savepoint” button for quick return to a self chosen point in history-log without creating a virtual copy. (this is a great feature for when you have a good developed image to a point that the next steps are less obvious to do in one go right. (local corrections and controlpoints stuff like that.) there are tool resetbuttons already there but sometimes it is used earlier and you try something to get it better which goes south/bad and a reset set you more back then wanted. this is where that savepoint comes in handy.

-4- temporally storing settings, not editing a Preset (then you have to keep track of temporally ones and repetable used ones.) but a selective copying of editing setting which i can store in a “box” for fast cloning settings on multiple images except the image depended corrections.
(like copy paste but not in scrapboard which you accidental override by a other copy past action but a box system.)
Selective paste function: copy all settings = and before paste a step for what you want to paste or not selected with checkboxes. (like the editing preset function, so you can uncheck things you don’t want to paste on a other image like perspective corrections.

to create this functions without taking lots of extra screen space you can make a button in the top bar called “storerooms”
If you make “store rooms” (1-2-3-4-5) to put this state of developement in with a selective row of checkboxes like the preset editter you can used this for “copy ones, paste developementsettings multiple times”, make a savepoint (by selecting all) and make it possible to select a store room and then select the things you want to copy paste , you can make one of those five rooms a quick store. (Selective copying is born and the savepoint button also.)

1 quick store: hit “save” and all settings are copied, (savepoint) , hit paste, a screen opens with checkboxes to selectively paste settings to the present selected image.( so by saving in this on selected image 1 and then select image 2 , hit paste, you can selective copying settings image after image. Or go back to a earlier saved moment on the same image. (savepoint)
(this isn’t a PRESET in Preset-Editor.)

2-3-4-5 store are for those temporally developement settings you use in a set of images (project) and delete those when your done. A preset made in Preset Editor named: Temp preset xxx will do also but then you have to remember to name those to the project and delete them afterwards and you don’t have the selective paste mode. (i am not used the “project mode” yet in PL so don’t know if that will help.)

So if the Presets have a possible selection: right mouse click, select selective apply
chose the boxes, apply. Then those 2-3-4-5 store rooms arn’t necessary. (if its remembering the last selected boxes it can be used as a multi paste copying tool.) and is that “Quick Store” enough for mostly al other things you want to do.

did i forget something?
edit: ok i think i have untangle this more.
there are serveral roads to the same solution:
if historylog is detailed enough a savepoint isn’t needed., just scrol back to a point done.
A selective copy - past tool is the same function as a quickstore When all settings are copied and as long as you can see which origin it has. (time stamp?)

same as the visiualisation of applied preset , if that’s possible , then te store rooms arn’t needed. you can make a preset bij hitting the editors button make preset from current settings. and use that as fallback point or multipaste. (it still needs also selective paste and time stamp)

History is cool, but stopped reading at 3). Too many implementation details for me. :slight_smile:

Hope you don’t scare off the programmers so that they never touch 1). :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree. The history function in PS is very handy for returning to an edit step without undoing the intervening steps. Something similar in PL would be a valuable addition.

5 Likes

lol, i know its difficult to describe in words how i like to see things.
short one.

1 historylog.
2 lock dopfile posibility to avoid unwanted changes.
3 selective copy paste modes.
4 quicksave with selective pasting.

better?
:wink:

3 Likes

Yes. Now apply the 80-20 rule on these points and we are done. :grinning:

That’s an interesting set of suggestions OXiDant.

Here are the two that I would most like to see in PhotoLab:

-1- A history log to record our editing steps …

… but from my point of view this log would only list the changes we had made to each image (or Virtual Copy).

I would separate this relatively simple ‘history log’ feature from the much more complex feature which you described as going “… back to a earlier adjustment moment …”.

I think that “going back to a earlier adjustment moment” could be called an ‘Editing Rewind’ option, and I fear that the complexity of a well-tuned ‘Rewind’ feature would be too ambitious (for now, at least) for the DxO PhotoLab Developers.

My second-favourite choice from your list would be …

-2- (…) a function to lock dopfile (…) to prevent unwanted changes.(…)

This would improve our existing ability to create multiple intermediate virtual copies as we work towards our final version(s), because - of course - during a long editing session, or when returning to a ‘work in progress’ image after break of a day or two, it’s all too easy to re-open and make an accidental change to one of those ‘so far so good’ intermediate virtual copies.

Colin P.

5 Likes

I only have used one other kind of image edit-history logging and that one is a tempfile. it is gone after closing the application.
That is fine for most work but sometimes i want to try a other time later in the week a new attemped. Then you have to let your pc running with open application to avoid losing historylog.
So a record placed in the dopfile(?) would be great. Or a ability to save that temporaly history log file which is deleted when application is closed some where by a manual choise per image. To avoid too much cache usage and slugging the system.

Those storerooms are more “save preset settings and adjustments” of this selected image. (use as turn back to if f* up edited image to try again, or as usage for multi pasting on other images of the same kind.selective pasting needed.)

I voted for this largely because of item 1 – basic history functionality which would allow you to see, step by step, exactly what was changed, and to be able to go back to a previous point, either temporarily (for a visual comparison) or permanently (as the current point for moving forward).

5 Likes

I don’t see that this would be relevant to PL - - It does not work on the concept of step-1, followed by step-2, etc, with each step being co-dependent on those made earlier.

With PL, each tool is applied independently - and it’s easy to de-activate and re-activate any specific tool to evaluate its impact, without undoing any other step … Such that I don’t see any point at all in the concept of tracking history of applied corrections.

John M

2 Likes

John,

I was thinking of control points. I have edited a photo with several control points and saved it. Later, I decide to change one of the points. I haven’t found a way to return to a specific point without starting over. Any suggestions?

Ah, yes - On that issue you are correct. I now see value in recording history for Local Adjustments, with ability to jump back to a specific point - - but not at all relevant for Global Adjustments.

John M

Click on the adequate control point !
No !?
What do you have missed ?

In my view it is one of the benefits of control points on others Local corrections tools.

Pascal

Speaking just for myself, what I want to be able to do is something like this, for example:

• Open an image which was previously edited
  • Make changes to contrast and tone
  • Click on the last change before today’s changes to see if the overall effect is positive
  • Click on the last change I made today before making tone curve adjustments
  • Continue editing

I think the sense of “not undoing intervening changes” is that it’s possible to back-track from where you are, evaluate the situation, and then directly return to the most current change or any step in between.

Just another vote for some kind of history panel like in Photoshop. I’m really missing the ability to go back a few steps, take a look and compare with how the image looks after a series of adjustments. This would probably be top of my list of feature requests.

4 Likes

Hi Philip,

I suspect you may(?) be missing the point - PhotoLab is different to LR/PS in that you can very readily “back-up” to evaluate the worth/benefit of any corrections/adjustments simply by checking/unchecking the relevant tool (it does not matter that the adjustment was made many steps previously) … in order to see how it impacts your image.

OR, for evaluation of an adjustment you have just applied, you can use Ctrl-Z (un-do) and Ctrl-Y (re-do) in a Windows environment … to see the before&after result.

Then again, it’s equally possible that I may have misunderstood your concern(?)

Regards, John M

That’s not the same as being able to go back to a particular point in time. It’s not just a case of turning a particular feature on or off. It about going back to an earlier time when a number of settings may be different. Some of that can be accomplished with virtual copies, but if you preferred a version of your image earlier on in the edit process there is no way to get back there directly and requires undoing each and every step one at a time. That ability to go back to a particular point in time is not a big deal for me, but for some its an important feature.

Mark

3 Likes

Hello, Dave.

A Virtual copy could be used to “freeze” the before version of your image - whilst you apply your changes to contrast and tone … then you can compare before & after to decide which version you prefer.

Important to note: A Virtual copy is just another version of an image - you can delete any version (including the “original” version).

Regards, John M

3 Likes

Thanks for your responses. Virtual copies are the closest to what I’m looking for but they do add clutter and I’d really like to have the option of going back to a particular point in time, as described by Mark. TBH, I’m surprised that PhotoLab doesn’t have this functionality. I would have thought it would be relatively easy to include, but hey, I’m not a programmer!

Yes virtual copy 's are sort off safepoints, like in games.
if you think entering a difficult task create a safepoint go on and return if “dead”
try again from there. :grin:

A regulair history log (undo redo) is there but it doesn’t present a list to return in jumps.
I , for that matter requested such a feature.

I like the idea of a history option which at least includes the current session. Going back step by step just redoes the interface actions of the user.

Here with all these lock options, you lose me Peter. We already enjoy the dead simple Virtual Copy which allows all of these options without complicating the interface or adding a lot of storage space.

KISS is very important to keeping software usable. DxO have done a great job so far empowering photographers with sophisticated functionality but an uncluttered interface and workflow. Long may simplicity reign at DxO!

Vive la simplicité élégante!