HEIC/HIEF-Support

It’s really sad that DXO doesn’t even bother to comment on the situation. They’ve promised this feature a long time ago and after postponing it several times they went silent.

@Marie what happened to this feature?

3 Likes

hello,

I’m really sorry I didn’t follow that topic.

We are not giving up on HEI F support but team in charge of it was really busy with other topic for PhotoLab 5. I hope to get back to it soon.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

My guess is that by delaying HEIF support until PhotoLab 5, DxO just saved themselves €100,000. I expect it will arrive shortly as license fees will have to be paid across all PhotoLab 5 copies regardless of when DxO add HEIF support.

I’d be a big fan of adding HEIF read support. Not sure I care if DxO add HEIF write support (and would prefer DxO kept the license fee for themselves).

Hello Marie, can you be a little bit more precise when we should expect HEIF support in PL ? Soon is what we here for the last two years !!!

4 Likes

just bought PL5 and i’m disappointed that HEIF -READ- is missing!

4 Likes

Until today I’ve never tried to open an iPhone photo with PL4. Good thing too because I just discovered PL4 won’t open .HEIC files. Wow! I’m sure not going to upgrade to PL5. I wonder if there’s degradation when converting to JPEG with Preview.

You can always save it out as TIFF or PNG to avoid losing any more quality, but it’s the faffing about at all that’s not good.

Personally, I consider PL to be a RAW processor only, but I understand the allure of “one tool to rule them all”.

2 Likes

@Marie I once used DXO Optics Pro 10 elite but after the purchase of a Sony A7 IV, I decided to upgrade my software suite to PL5. The camera allows to take pictures with the brilliant HEIF/HIF format, a fantastic format for many good reasons :slight_smile: I must say that I was sad to realize that I could not visualize them!! Since I do not take jpeg anymore, do you know if I can expect this in the upcoming weeks/months?
If not I need to reconsider my software suite again :confused: Salutations de Norvège

3 Likes

I took it for granted that Photolab would support the HEIC format from version 5 at the latest. After all, it is one of the most used image formats due to the frequency of iphones, and even a photographer who shoots RAW with his main camera often has an iphone in his pocket and would like to process his images with the same tool without annoying conversions. I certainly do. While the format doesn’t give a problem to editors like Affinity, Pixelmator and even the one-man-developed Acorn, Photolab not only won’t open it, but can’t even display an intelligible warning that it doesn’t support it. This, of course, means it can’t even work with the standard Photos library on a mac. I consider this a shame.

3 Likes

I have a practical sense; my iPhone 7 was set to output HEIF.
Since this format is not widely used, I changed the setting back to JPEG.
I noticed that exporting photos from the iPhone to the Mac was very slow; I don’t feel like I’ve lost anything but a few MB: I still have 60 GB free on the iPhone and 400 GB on my SSD!
When HEIF will be more common, I will switch again.
I didn’t verify if Exiftool knows HEIF, which would be an additional inconvenience for me.

1 Like

Well, it does ; powerful Exiftool !

Indeed. All hail Phil Harvey!

Recently a computer scientist flipped out and introduced rotten code in a java library used in 20,000 programs, themselves reused in many others; if Phil Harvey flipped out, he could erase all the images on the planet!
I trust him but I never process the original images…

I would also like to be able to process HEIF files with DxO. C1 can do it, you can do it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No it’s been asked but no sign of it coming

The way C1 managed to add HEIF without having to pay royalties is that they support HEIF at the level of the OS. I.e. there’s built-in support on macOS and for Windows, a photographer must install some Microsoft software to allow HEIF. Which makes sense as more Mac users would have iPhones than Windows users.

The limitation here is that C1 has no HEIF export, but just supporting import, as CaptureOne does, would be a good start.

1 Like

Please add my name to the list of people requesting HEIF support.

3 Likes

Really? The year 2022 and still: nothing? Did I waste my money?
TIFF an JPG is 1980 or something. Hello, some at R&D to read this. I can’t believe it.
How should import iPhone photos? as jpg?

If someone reads it ( I doubt it, the thread has grey hairs) do not forget the EXPORT function.

What a bummer

3 Likes

TIFF = 1986, JPEG = 1992.

But then…
AAC (you’re probably listening to it if you stream music) = 1996. Age isn’t everything. JPEG has dominated for so long because it works well for the masses. Google have tried to supplant most media types with their own, technically superior, formats, and even they aren’t getting much traction.

Nobody cared about HEIC until Apple used it in iOS 11 (and even then, it was slow to gain any traction in the industry) in 2017, so it’s still very new.

I agree HEIC support should be included, but age is not a great argument. It should be included because many customers are asking for it.

3 Likes

Good that you have the facts, I won’t argue against. Yes, there are many abandoned formats around.
Still, it is about time, for a better one. If somebody does not like that apple and google created facts, I don’t care.
If there are good reasons to not implement a format, put them on the table. Instead of asking and don’t do a thing.