HEIC/HIEF-Support

a lot of formats are closed - like every other camera has a non DNG formatted raw, so ? what about Nikon compressed files (HE* & HE) ? they are what open formats ?

My daughter sent some iPhone photos for perspective corrections. They came in as HEIC files.
No, not RAW photos, but it sure would be nice to use DXO perspective tools!!!

2 Likes

And for phone DNGs

1 Like

While not as good as having PL support HEIC directly, there is a free HEIC to JPEG converter available for MAC and Windows - iMazing Converter | Free Photo HEIC to JPEG and Video HEVC to MPEG-4 Conversion Tool. At least you would then be able to apply perspective corrections to the JPEGs.

1 Like

@SAFC01 for Mac, HEIC conversion is already in context menu. What does this converter better than the already available OS-tool?

Probably nothing. I’ve never had a MAC so wasn’t aware of the built-in converter.

Ah, I see, I was just curious :slightly_smiling_face: Mac OS‘s inbuilt preview still surprises me from time to time. On the other hand, Apple did introduce the HEIC/HEIF types to iOS, so they were under pressure to move them to OS X as well. And they did.

I’ve created a simple Automator Quick Action which convert the selected image format into jpg.
I simply right click and chose Quick Action and convert to jpg or another to tif.

Works with what ever format macOS can mange, .nef, heic, png et al.

I use Finder’s context-menu > quick actions (Schnellaktionen) > convert to JPEG / PNG / HEIF to also change the output size (only in 3 steps and Original), but if I do so, the picture gets a Klein / Mittel / Groß suffix.

1 Like

You missed the point.

I have HEIC converters too, which I used and the DXO perspective tools worked well. I also have other perspective corrections too. But are we suppose to jump between software tools for photo processing depending on the source of the photo?

I originally came to DXO just for the RAW processing (converter) and I read many folks do just that - convert the RAW file to another format and then switch to other software to finish processing.

I sense that DXO wants to be a more complete software suite of tools for any photo that needs basic tone/color/perspective correction without all the “photoshopping” photo manipulation tools.

I vote for DXO to consider the any photo aspect.

5 Likes

I try a change from Capture One to PL7 and a not supported HEIC/HEIF Format from iPhone is a big issue for my final decision.
The Support of HEIC is a musst have today!
Is there any offical statement from DXO?

1 Like

They said years ago it was going to be supported (it will be before PL4, don’t worry about that.) but never did so.

1 Like

I voted for this request today and tried to go through the entire thread but could not… just a lot to read through.

I want to understand the latest situation. I am not interested in editing HEIF/HEIC images from iPhone / iPad / Mac / etc. I want to export my raw files to HEIC/HEIF after editing/NR in PL.

Does PhotoLab 7 export to HEIF/HEIC? Or, is there a plan to add this feature in 7, or upcoming 8?

Thanks.

a workaround is to export tiff to application which is a command line script that will convert your tiff to whatever you want and then script deletes tiff … that way you do not need to wait for DxO to do anything

What is the command line application/script you’re referring to? I am not familiar with any Windows 11 programs that convert from TIFF to HEIF/HEIC. Thanks.

command line tool imagemagick ( https://imagemagick.org/ ) converts to HEIC

PS: if you have troubles compiling required additional binaries , then - for example - you can use precompiled ones = Release v1.14.0 - codec plugins / svt-av1 backend · pphh77/libheif-Windowsbinary · GitHub ( not the latest release, but shall be OK )

1 Like

Thanks for that link. I will try it

you can directly use compiled binaries from LibHeif w/o integrating them into imagemagick, unless you want to use some additional imagemagick functionality