Focal Length Incorrect with Coolpix P950

I have used DxO for several years with a Canon, but recently got a Nikon Coolpix P950. In the image properties on my photos in DxO, the focal length is incorrect. The lens goes from 24-2000mm, however, the focal length listed in the image properties on a photo with the lens zoomed to 2000mm is around 378mm. Has anyone else experienced this?

Welcome @smalone

Because PhotoLabs give you the real focal length.
The captor is 1/2.3" (6.17x4.55 mm), 378mm is 2000mm equivalent 24x36.

Pascal

1 Like

Yes. as Pascal noted, you have to take into account the equivalency compared to full frame.

Here is screenshot from NIKON webpage.

Lens Focal Length: 4.3-357mm (angle of view equivalent to that of 24-2000mm lens in 35mm format)

Hey ChatGPT what can you tell me about equivalency in photography?

"In photography, equivalency refers to the concept of comparing the characteristics of different camera systems and lenses to determine their relative performance. This is typically done by comparing the field of view, depth of field, and exposure settings of different cameras and lenses.

For example, if you have a full-frame camera with a 50mm lens and you want to achieve the same field of view on a crop-sensor camera, you would need to use a lens with a shorter focal length, such as a 35mm lens. This is because the crop sensor effectively magnifies the image, making it appear as if you are using a longer lens.

Similarly, if you want to achieve the same depth of field on a smaller sensor camera as you would on a full-frame camera, you would need to use a wider aperture on the smaller sensor camera. This is because the smaller sensor camera has a greater depth of field due to its smaller sensor size.

Understanding equivalency is important for photographers who use multiple camera systems or who want to achieve consistent results across different cameras and lenses."

1 Like

That’s why we should talk in field angle.

Pascal

Thanks so much for the replies! I didn’t understand that before. Is there a simple equation that I could use to figure out when DxO lists the actual focal length and I want to know the length the Coolpix displayed when I took the photo?

You can multiply the real focal length from Photolab by roughly 5.6 to get the equivalent focal length.