Filmpack as a plugin for Affinity Photo 2 is broken

Filmpack 6 doesn’t work quite right with Affinity Photo 2. Window 1 shows how off the presets are when returned to Affinity Photo from the plugin. Window 2 shows how it is supposed to look like using the standalone Filmpack 6 app. Window 3 is the original TIF image. Every preset I chose doesn’t return correctly to Affinity Photo when used as a plugin. It’s not the end of the world, but it is nonetheless, not polished software and buggy.

quickly tried with AP2 and FP6 – so far it looked alright

maybe another Mac problem (?)

Hello there.

Are you running Ventura?
There are some other instances of color shift problems with Ventura and some processing PL does.

1 Like

I’m using a Mac Studio with Ventura, yes.

Exactly why anyone using pro or advanced applications (video, photography, music) should not go anywhere near the latest version of MacOS until all the creative software publishers have time to troubleshoot.

Which is why it was so infuriating that DxO dropped support for 10.14 at the launch of PhotoLab 5.

1 Like

I totally agree on what you said. But maybe it’s time we stop making excuses for vendors for things like this. Why shouldn’t we be on the latest OS? It’s not like Apple sprung a surprise OS release on the vendors.

People have different reasons to use the latest OS, especially when they are very tightly entrenched in a particular ecosystem. For example, if you update your iPhone, it may not work properly with the last OS. And you would probably have to update your watch and your iPads so they can all work together properly. And because you updated your device, you also need to update to the latest macOS because your devices need the latest version to work right. Most people I know use and rely on their devices more often that their photo editing software. Not everyone has the financial means to have multiple systems in place for their work. Even some “pros” that I know don’t. And the list goes on and on.

On the flip side of this, when people who use “pro-level or advanced” applications pay lots of money to a major or reputable software publisher (you know, pros will pay big bucks to use pro software because it has to match their pro status), they expect the major bugs to get worked out during the OS’s beta stages. Software publishers that wait for the actual release of a major OS update to “troubleshoot” shouldn’t be defended or get the sympathy of the end users. I am not talking about minor bugs here or there.

A perfect example of this is with DxO’s very own Nik collections. The M1 Mac was released on November of 2020. As of today, it’s still not M1 ready. You still have to run some of the modules through Rosetta. As an “pro” end user, I simply expect to get what I paid for. Otherwise, I might as well use the Photos app that came along with macOS or Gimp – for free. For example, see this article

I may be knocking on DxO a little here, but after waiting years for what I thought was the right time to get into the DxO ecosystem (yup, bought Elite 6 and all the addons/modules) , it’s a little disheartening to know that I may have to continue using my plethora of existing tools for a while longer.

And professional vendors should treat posts like this to remind them to do better. Sorry for the long post. I tend to get “emotional” after spending this much money in such a short time for “pro” software.

We can’t blame DxO for everything.

Apple have for many years supported the last thee versions of its OS.
But things changes and the they are now pushing the latest and updates to the latest very hard to keep up security.

Also - there’s no guarantee that a properly working PhotoLab on the last beta/GM from macOS will actually work when the macOS goes live. Apple is known for last minute changes and DxO can’t be blamed at all for Apples surprises that suddenly appears.

On top of this - as production environments always strive to be stable and known the push Apple is doing is taxing the IT and PO’s very hard. The same goes for the application companies and their developers.

I’ve been in a quite large media conglomerate with many thousands of macOS clients.
It’s not an easy task.

Here’s a good link about Apples view on updates and security.

It would be nice if sensible people would stop carrying water for Apple and Microsoft and other near trillion dollar companies.

With those kinds of revenues, Apple, Microsoft, Google have plenty of money to keep multiple versions of their OS secure.

The reason to force all these upgrades is to eliminate security and privacy. With the underlying OS moving so fast, those of us working on securing our computers and our phones from the borg are at a permanent disadvantage. With each update, less and less privacy is afforded to end users with more services and more daemons phoning home.

Someone (including most of us) has forgotten who pays for all these computers and software. We do. There is no good excuse for not providing proper security updates across three versions of the OS. There is no reason for a major update every year except marketing and to make end users lives more difficult.

What is not a joke is the effect that these endless, buggy, rapid-fire updates have on third party app developers. It puts them at a huge advantage (and the smaller the worse the disadvantage). It’s very hard for a company like DxO to keep all its applications working properly on the latest version (that’s not an excuse for DxO hamstringing support for recent OS, as DxO has already figured those out).

If you would like your creative applications to work properly, don’t be a dummy end-user or a thrill-seeking nerd hanging on the latest emoji feature – do NOT run the latest version of an OS. The golden rule is to stay away from anything Apple with a lower point version than three. Personally I won’t touch anything with less than a point five, unless forced to by the purchase of new hardware and normally here, I’d prefer a proven platform.

That is of course for those of us who would like to work and not spend our time troubleshooting our OS and our primary apps.

2 Likes

AP1/2 and FP6 – doesn’t work !

1 Like