DXO Softwares on LINUX ! (please .....)

Just get it working under Wine man and DxO would make a killing as Serif and Adobe are ignoring this space. There are a metric ton of web developers who use Linux to ensure their apps work properly.

2 Likes

Just because web developers don’t know any better doesn;t make it right.
Also if you are going to have to resort to wine wny not run Windows nativley?

Part of the problem will be unlike running web apps stuff is that programs like DXO, Resolve etc need to access the hardware and many drivers and codecs that are simply not agailable on Linux.

PhotoLab would run adequately under Wine. The effort needed from DxO would be modest. It’s a lot simpler proposition than maintaining a completely independent platform on fractured Linux. Wine would be more portable between the different Linux flavours as well.

Firing Wine up is quite a different proposition than rebooting one’s whole computer into Windows and maintaining a full Windows install.

I wouldn’t know as I don’t run Linux. There is no point.
There is also no point in developing a Linux Version for DxO.
Even where BMD developed a Linuxversion for One version only of Linux it is missing some drivers and codecs because of licensing. And that one version is dissapearing.
The best bet is to use either MAC-OS or Windows.

3 Likes

It’s quite rude to just tell people to use macOS or Windows.

I wouldn’t know as I don’t run Linux. There is no point.

This is hardly an adequate evaluation of Linux. There’s a lot of point. Linux is the only OS which offers both freedom and the hope of reasonable data security.

Both macOS and Windows are riddled with vendor spyware (telemetry is one of the euphemisms for the cancer of vendor spyware).

There is also no point in developing a Linux Version for DxO.

While I agree that developing a whole Linux version of PhotoLab would be a very high support burden (there’s so many distributions for which one must tweak each complex software), making the Windows version of PhotoLab Wine-friendly would be much smaller hill to climb and open up new markets.

No it is not rude to suggest using winfdows or Mac. Just sensible advice.
Linux has no hope of any data security. It is the least secure of Mac, Wiindows and Linux.
The Linux Core and most distributions are riddeled with pooly writtten software and software of compleltey unknown proividence.
There are thousands of differente versions of Linux the majority are obsolete and or unsupported.
Also you can’t license many codecs for Linux.
If you are going to run WINE you may as well eun windows properly
If I was DxO I would not make PL WINE compatable.

2 Likes

It would be very silly of DxO to develop another version for another OS (and which dialect of the various Linux variants will survive long enough to make the effort worth the extra work?) as we can clearly see a huge backlog of requests for improvements for the two supported OSs. There are already some differences between MacOS and Windows-Versions. Creating more differences would not be helpful for anybody. Currently DxO is not even able to fully support file/folder management within MacOS. It’s like building a new house while two other houses are still in the making, but lack some windows, are missing some doors and feature incomplete roofs. At the end all houses will become ruins.

4 Likes

I have to agree with @JoJu It would be very silly for DxO to develop a Linux version, especially after the experience Black Magic had with Linux. The costs far outwiegh any benefits.
There is no point developing a WINE version either for the same reasons.
DxO will want to concentrate on making sure the (slowly moving) targets of Windows and MAC are improved. That is something like 98% of the market. Especially as they will have advanced information of the Windows/MAC roadmaps. and early access to the new versions.

4 Likes

From what I can glean from various OS survey sites, Chrome OS has a larger market share worldwide than Linux, although both are minuscule proportions (2.8% for Chrome, 2.2 for Linux)

The only countries I have found with a more significant following for Linux are India and France, although a lot of the French share is mainly down to government departments, not domestic use.

1 Like

The other interesting stat I found (via the WINE wiki page) is that only 1/3 of Linux Users don’t use any Windows programs. Which would make the Linux only market 0.73% of the market.
So no point in doing a Linux version.
No point in putting any effort into a WINE version for less than 2% of the market.
The reason why Black Magic did a Linux version is the high end editing houses in London and LA used it but they were also buying multiple BMD editing desks (hardware) at £30K-£50K a seat. So if you have a a couple of dozen customers spending over £250,000 each you can see why they did it. A guaranteed market of a £ million or five. And it was for only one specific Linux
The other problem is that some of the codecs aren’t licenced for Linux so they didn’t get them anyway.
How long the Linux version of Resolve lasts is anyone’s guess now the Linux it was based on has gone.

BTW when I mentioned some one said " Linux is the only OS which offers both freedom and the hope of reasonable data security." to my lot they fell about laughing but then we work with OS that are 61508 and ARINC 653 certifed. Linux is one of the least sexure systems out there.

1 Like

I said potentially secure. It takes some work.

This is impossible as Windows and OS X are insecure by design, with deliberate faults built-in which are nigh impossible to patch.

Some people choose the side of darkness by nature, some are blinded by shiny objects. I shall not heed your tones of defeatist or condescending menace. All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

And no CentOS is not gone, as RHEL is now free for up to 16 production servers. Fedora remains free and permanently available without limitation.

1 Like

I am not blinded by shiney things or religion.
I am certainly not on the dark side.
I have to work on solid reality. Hence the 61508.
Also I am not qualified in modern languages or lituature.

1 Like

That’s a very bold statement. And I can’t see any prove for your claim.
I’m a Windows user since Win 3.11, I’m an administrator for two small companies using Windows machines and yes - I was also an Apple user for some time. It’s part of my daily routine to read security news and keep an eye on current issues. In fact, Microsoft has not been a good security performer in the last year. I would like to mention “Print Nightmare” as an example. It took Microsoft months to finally close this actively exploited security hole. I don’t feel like digging up all the other problems now. But certainly Windows is not one of the most secure systems at the moment. There are security holes in Linux as well, but Linux wouldn’t have become the central system on the web and smartphones if it were as insecure as you claim. When Spectre and Meltdown appeared, Linux had the first and also the most optimal solution. Linux tries to do a lot better on the system level, out of conviction. Microsoft and Apple, however, work for their share holders and are much more limited in their resources. On the other hand, Apple and Microsoft have a nicer GUI and better usability in many aspects. Linux has more an ‘form follows function’ approach. :slight_smile:
Actually, this thread is about Linux support. An OS war doesn’t really belong in here. Completely off-topic. Chris, if you don’t like Linux that’s ok. But please let others discuss here undisturbed. DxO can decide for themselves where their preferences lie.

So, back to the topic:

You don’t have to create a release for every Linux distribution for a while now. There are universal package formats like Flatpak, Snap and AppImage that run everywhere. You just have to install the appropriate package managers. DxO could pick one of them - problem solved.
Nevertheless, it would be a big initial effort for DxO to create a Linux port. Maybe too big for a small company. A much easier solution would be to support Wine or at least help the community to solve problems. That would not be a very big effort.
Lot’s of Linux users are willing to pay for software. But they don’t want to feel like they are being tricked or spied on by software companies. It would be rather difficult for Microsoft or Adobe to get the trust of users. But DxO could do that. They have trust. Even Darktable users speak of Photolab and DeepPrime with great respect.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Snoere I don’t know how much of an overview you already have about “problems DxO needs to solve” for paying customers on Windows and MacOS. Helping the LINUX company as a *free of cost" extra would be a slap in the face of paying customers who are waiting partly for years to get support for lenses, get a problem fixed and so on. And opening a new construction site does not decrease any problems or reduce the number of it. But apparently LINUX users have their own ideas of what a company should do. Hey, why is there no free PhotoLab clone programmed by a LINUX user, company or community? Not happy with darktable? :grin:

Could it be that it is very difficult and would take years to emulate the present version, let alone keep up with upcoming innovations?

Sheesh!!! I downloaded a copy, to see what it was like, to be able to help a member of our club photo who insists on using it - No way José! After failing to work out how to use it, it has remained unused, just to be able to show others who might be tempted how much of a world of hurt they would be heading into.

Once I was cycling I passed a place called “Studio Exquisite Pain”. Might be a kind of a gym but door arrangements, CCTV and high walls around indicated a different kind of services. Like a testlab for DarkTable? :disguised_face:

1 Like

Be careful. Talking sense and being reasonable is not fashionable on the DxO forums. OS holy warriors (this is what happens when you take organised religion away from the masses, they seek faith via the worship of worldly objects, historically known as idolatry) are standing by to make sure Linux users will never get a taste of DxO, not even under Wine.

Amazing that cutting off others from enjoying PhotoLab could so pre-occupy some. Perhaps forcibly converting apostates to the one true church of commercial US spyware OS is what drives them.

On the other hand, some of us are still waiting for Mac and Windows users to get the same experience and for everything to work on both existing platforms, without distracting the hard pressed staff at DxO into trying to add yet another platform into the mix.

2 Likes

Hello Alec,

please try to take off your alu-hat before posting, or think before you post :innocent:

1 Like

Well we had got back to the topic until you reignited it.
Windows and Mac-OS are single source with a controlled development and update system. They do a lot of testing.
Linux on the other hand is developed by a large number of unknown people (and this included unknown to the Kernel maintainers) and there is limited testing.
Though I do know three companies that have done some testing of the Linux Kernel with tools usually used on critical systems software… some Linux SW is good, most is mediocre and a lot is atrocious. This was for their own internal testing and is not public (and under NDA).
Several of the unknown contributors were thought to be state actors as one was adjusting some of the cryptographic code in a very subtle way that was well beyond most people.

As for updates… When MS and Apple do updates all users get notifications unless they have explicitly turned them off. When it comes to Linux it is totally random if any particular distribution does the update and or tells their users. Some Linux distributions never get updated.

As for spyware… no one has any idea what is in the Linux code or who put it there. The versions of Linux used for some things like phones are heavily modified and maintained by the phone companies but not in the public sector.

T here are no universal Linux. That is a myth. In any case the systems you mention could disappear at any time. With MS and Apple a company developing SW for them can be a partner with access to roadmaps and betas. With Linux any distribution can turn on a dime because a group “has a good idea” Then you come to IP and protection which doesn’t happen in the Linux world… For example if I have a Codec ProPhoto for example I can sign an agreement with Apple or MS. Who do I sign with at “Linux Inc”? This is why even for the Linux version of the paid for Resolve Studio tyou don’t get all the drivers and codecs you get on the Windows/MAC versions.

As the number of Linux users is less than 5% of the market and those interested in photography smaller than that why would DxO put any effort (that costs money) into that.
As most Linux users tend to be religious and not interested in cold reality there is no point in trying to convert them anyway.

BTW The only reason why BMD did a Linus Resolve was those customers, though small in number were spending £50K to £500K a go on BMD hardware. It remains to be seen if they continue to do so

The easiest way is for the very small number of Linux users to use windows or MAC for photo editing.

1 Like