Dual screens iMac / Eizo usage

While I am not on a Mac, and use only a single 28 inch 4k monitor for my Windows version of PhotoLab, I believe there are a number of Mac users on this site who use dual monitors. It would be interesting to hear from some of them about their experience.

Mark

2 Likes

Here’s another vote for dual monitors, although I am a Windows user. I had been running an old Acer 24" and last year bought an Eizo CS2731. Even though they are different sizes and resolutions the combo works out fine for me. Win 10 allows me to set which is the primary - in my case the old Acer. I also set the text size to 125% for my old eyes. Interestingly I can move a text file, or my Outlook, slowly from one screen to the other. Magically the text sizes stay the same.

When I’m editing I have PL on the Eizo and the film strip on the Acer. No problem at all and it is really nice to have the whole screen for PL! There is other non photography work I do that it is very helpful to have the duals.

Most likely your Apple will have the same or better features than Win 10.

Agree with you, Mark! The more experiences, the better. Preferably with Mac (and Eizo) ofcourse.

Maybe Windows vs. Mac. Different results(?)

I understand that PhotoLab may not be optimally designed to work on multiple monitors, but I do know that many Windows and Mac users seem to be doing it successfully. This in no way suggests that @JoJu is incorrect. However, user expectations can vary significantly.

Mark

also not on a Mac & some ideas

How many of you uses a big or dualscreen mode and hoe many is working on tablet/laptop? - #82 by Wolfgang

Favorites correction sorting - #3 by Wolfgang → still using such a custom layout

• the PhotoLibrary is on the bigger main screen (left)
  • I keep the Filmstrip below the ‘workspace’
    (if it’s in the way / more space needed, I just hide it)
  • TONE CURVE 2 (LHS) and LIGHT 2 (RHS) are part of my custom workspace
  • all other Tabs / tools are on the extended screen (right)
  • to have a certain tool temporarily on the main monitor (less mouse travel, better resolution & colour), I activate the hardcoded button, replacing LIGHT 2 (RHS) with the tool (tool list now in alphabetical order)

(on Windows) DisplayFusion is a nice way to manage program windows on large and/or multiple monitors… Gives you a lot more flexibility than windows normally dows.

If your needs are ‘in the middle’, the windows powertoy fancy zones is there as well.

No, it doesn’t sound good.

The second screen is not in it’s native resolution, but one step downscaled. Which is not my main problem. I have the editor window on the Eizo and the library window on the iMac which is my main display – I can’t switch it off and all other apps are living there, except Capture One. As long as I’m only working in PL, no problem. As soon as I need Mail, Safari or whatever app, the editor window on the Eizo is visible and the library window of PL gets hidden. Going back then to edit an image doesn’t bring the library window on top. Also, it needs an extra click to get activated, a behavior no other app on Mac OS has.

Capture One’s library view remains connected to the edit window, so whenever I activate C1, both views get active and in foreground. Joanna works on a small 16" display, maybe that’s easier to handle but two 27" are a different story.

Thank you for this information Joachim! Can’t you get your second window fixed to native?

Thank you Wolfgang!

No. Once “undocked”, it becomes independent from the first. As if you’d run two different apps.

I don’ t want that. I want the Eizo to be at native resolution. Just as Eizo advices.

thnxs. Good for window users. I’ m on Mac.

Yes, that’d be the best. Only problem is, if you move a view window from the iMac to the Eizo, you’ll see it enlarging. And if you need just a bit more view and widen a window from the iMac to the Eizo, tracking the mouse pointer can become confusing.

If you use to use dual screen with other graphics software, you will be extremely disappointed and annoyed.
PL interface is really outdated.
But some people manage to work like this.

1 Like

Ok. Thnxs Joachim.

Thnxs for your input JoPoV. To keep it simple…working in Photolab with dual screen (iMac 5k and Eizo CG2700S 1440p), will cause disappointment and annoyment. That’ s the bottom line, according to you (?).

Like you, I also wanted to split the image browser and the main editor view and bought the Eizo to have a calibrateable monitor. The tool palettes and the library don’t need to be calibrated right? But at least the tool palettes need to be rather close to the main (editor) view: if you do local adjustments, all the slider are inmidst the image, very distracting, but the gain slider (to adjust the effect of the local adjustments) again is in a tool palette.

So you better get a mouse with cool pads underneath. :grinning: I agree with @JoPoV: working with two screens and PL is not the biggest fun :unamused: But to be fair: Working with different screen resolutions doesn’t make anything simpler. And even the Samsung 49" curved monitor in the office (5120 × 1440 pixels) is no better solution for long mouse moves.

If you use to work with 2 monitors with professionnal graphic software, yes ! That’s the bottom line.
BUT, if you use to work with 2 monitors on a daily basis with graphic softwares, you will anyway need to accept those disappointment and annoyment, because you know the difference between working with one or 2 monitors.

My very first thought was to just sell my iMac and buy Mac Studio and a Eizo CG2700S. Then quite a few users warned me for going from 5k to 1440p (I “really” would miss that 5k). Dual monitor then seemed like the most logical idea (maybe just as an in-between step to 100% Eizo). On DPR there’ s at least one user (by the looks of his website a very competent photographer), who sold his iMac Pro and now uses Mac Studio and Eizo CG279X (1440p) “only”. He doesn’t miss the 5k at all. Comforting to know.

I definitely want to stay with DXO PL. Beside that, I also use Affinity/Qimage One/ ApolloOne / PhotoPro /Pixelmator Pro, but Photolab is my main software for photography.
The CG2700S isn’ t yet available (and probably can take some time). I will read more and more reviews and experiences. Partly it will be a personal thing I guess. Thinking and more thinking here.