DPL 5 stopped processing files with certain body/lens combo

I just checked the image, and it’s working as I described. When you first load the RAW image in PhotoLab without having downloaded the module, you’ll see the same lens description as you see in the exported JPG. As soon as you download the module, we use the name from the module to have a better representation.

It’s true that this could be improved with the lens name from the Maker Notes, as it is clearer, but it’s also not always consistent in all images, and sometimes not even present at all. We’re currently discussing it internally to see what we can do about this.

@kettch, when I extract tags with exiftool -G -a -u, I see two entries of the correct lens description in MAKERNOTES. I can’t imagine that exiftool is checking the presence of DxO modules, so the complete description must be in the original file.
20140626-8376.cr3.txt.zip (4.7 KB)

I think it would be best, if all possible lens tags were checked. As ambiguities need to be resolved by the user (I’m okay with this) anyway. You could try to resolve ambiguities automatically, but I’d really prefer to decide it myself. Manual module selection has been requested in the forum before too.

While it might be better to do something wrong instead of being inactive in theory and a few fields, I feel that module selection is not one of those fields. After all, DxO is after “correct”. Getting it wrong seems to be the poor choice imo :wink:

Yes, there are two correct entries of that field, but as I said, not all bodies and all manufacturers are filling those fields properly either. So yes, with that specific image and body/lens, it should work, but we also need to consider all cases, which is why we’re looking into it and discussing it, in order to try and improve it.

1 Like

Thanks for doing this. With all the proprietary RAW metadata formats (meta-dada), I feel that keeping a wider perspective should help. Nice, if one size fits all, but if it doesn’t, I’d go for asking the user. There is no shame in that. Only super heroes are on top of everything all the time…but we are only human and can relax, once we can admit it…

1 Like

I suppose, we will see that problem more often with the use of adapted lenses.

@kettch, would you like to get more images that you can test with?

I checked Lightroom, who does not give a full lens spec either.
In XMP sidecars, lens info comes up like this:

<aux:LensInfo>40/1 40/1 0/0 0/0</aux:LensInfo>
   <aux:Lens>40.0 mm</aux:Lens>
   <aux:LensID>4144</aux:LensID>

Capture One 12 writes lens info in the same way as Lightroom, but it displays the lens correctly (as does DPL), while Lightroom Classic only shows generic lens info as mentioned above.

LensID 4144 is listed in exiftool’s canon tags page.

would you like to get more images that you can test with?

No worries, we have lots of images with different body/lens combinations.

1 Like

The issue seems to have been fixed with updates of June 7th, 2023 for

• Tested: PhotoLab (Mac) version 5.12 build 93
  • Tested: PhotoLab (Mac) version 6.5 build 52
  • Untested: Other apps: DVP, DFP, Nik

Thanks, DxO!