Color explaination of the clipping warning

i think your right: according to FRV

and thus:

Still this doesn’t explain why the coloured box in the rgb histogram of dxo shows the clipping warning color. some how i think it’s wrong info.
it should show a RGB of 233, +10(255+10) , 245 and the image color of that spot in the box. (white-isch)

practical use:
shot in the dark in snow and led lights.
high DR too high for my camera.
what the camera did:

lot of shadow would be “noisy”
what +2EV would give;

the shadow boost version of 0EV

What does this in your shadows? (200% blowup)

So if i would shot this image with a +1 1/3 EV i would have same highlight clipping as the 0EV and nearly as good noise in the shadows as the +2EV. Thus the best exposure possible
This is why i use raw histogram. ((i shoot a 0EV, a +1EV a +1 1/3EV when i need more shadow detail wile my camera’s blinkies would go besurk in zebrastrips and ordered me to expose less.)
afterwards i do a culling in FRV and decide which would be best to use first. (star rate that one )

Do you really need a RAW histogram for this?
If you enlarge the exposure with 1 1/3 or 2 stops, then you’ll have more highlight clipping as you had before.

George

No it’s one of the things i use it for.
Let’s face it, the output histogram on the camera isn’t very usefull when you shoot raw.
This 11/3EV thing is great when i have time and oppertunity to bracket and such but normally i just aim , decide AV AE EVC frame and click. Reset Aperture or something else click again. So i have something to choose.
Yes i am a amateur and i am proud of it.:joy:

I use FRV also for edge and detail detect. (fining the focus points and DoF i wanted in a row of images.
Making xmp’s,
Awb see if dxo’s wb can be changed if i needed to by using there auto correction.
Also silkypix’s version of awb i use…
Is it a tool i can’t bare to not have?
No but it’s handy so i use it.

Back to the clippingcolors.( Because that was the question not FRV usage)
It’s odd that the dxo manual isn’t in detail about the use of this.
Important? Well why having colors if you don’t know why?
Just use blinkies or stripes closing in to full plane.