Choice of Legacy or Wide Gamut and export sRGB or Display P3? and softproofing or not?

The bigger the difference between working color space and output color space, the bigger the corrections that has to be done. Theoretical.

George

No, green and blue.

George

Correct. Theoretical. Big correction / small correction / not so much correction / just a little correction /etc. I guess it all comes down to personal experience with images/software/printer/paper / output.

Ok. But still the question remains…how far out of gamut.

You’re quite right - It shows the areas that are OoG (and, therefore, will be clipped) … but not by how much.

John M

For those of you wanting to read more in depth on color managment, I suggest visiting Andrew Rodney’s web page

He also wrote a very informative book on Color Management “Color Management for Photographers”. It was first published in 2005, but the information inside is very relevant today. If you want to broaden your color management knowledge, it is a great place to start.

3 Likes

There is no direct indication about that quality. The histogram and its colour indicator are bound to the on-screen preview.

If we wanted to know exactly, we’d need a histogram and a colour indicator that are both based on raw data or the latent image.

Geeky stuff: how about a 3D histogram that shows - instead of the x-axis - the CIE 1931 horseshoe?

The histogram will in no way tell you something about the gamut. It’s gamut independent.

George

… and he also offers a ton of videos …

1 Like

Yes this guy is “godhimself” in colormanagment and theory.
Some times i read his posts and blogs every time i think geesh i learned a thing.
Mostly my initial assumptinon of something was wrong but that aside. :rofl:

I would love him to play with photolab to see if he understands all the bells and wistles in it’s tech. A walkthrough so to speak.

Another reading is Manual of Photograpy. It’s the successor of the Ilford Manual of Photography, first published in 1890. The tenth edition 2011 also covers digital photography.
This side gives a full view of the contents The Manual of Photography, 10th Edition [Book]

George