Changing/resetting the default preset applied to an Image

The real default preset is shown in the preferences as my screenshot above shows.

Your example oversimplifies: it is possible to combine multiple presets as a preset can include some palettes and not others. In that case, which is the default preset to show: the first, second or third one a photographer applied?

As you know from your own workflow, once one starts working on an image it doesn’t matter what preset you start with. As I mentioned above, the preset give away for me is which Color Profile is selected.

Photographers spending their time chasing down which preset they started with creates a red herring situation. The photographer will not be focusing on what is important. A good interface is made up of choices. Many programmers like to abdicate choices and just throw everything in. This is why Linux and many Linux programs remain only marginally usable.

Photolab historically has been opinionated software which makes design choices and has a clear aesthetic and a clear workflow. I’d hate to see Photolab become a hopeless hodgepodge program with too much information everywhere. In that case, we could all have just kept using Lightroom.

What shows up in the History doesn’t bother me, as I don’t really think the history palette is necessary either (it only turned up in Photolab 3) and is already something of a distraction. But let’s not add more flashing lights to the subdued and professional interface of Photolab.

@George I’m also a Nikon shooter. Photolab basically completely ignores what Nikon’s picture control, apart from white balance. I’m okay with that as I’ve never used that picture control apart from when experimenting with jpegs, where in fact picture control is more important.

What you might be arguing for is a dedicated Nikon Picture Control palette which would allow Photolab to leverage Nikon’s Picture Control Options. Nikon tends to hoard technical information and not give it away so such a palette would be difficult to build. Manufacturer specific palettes would be a new direction for Photolab. CaptureOne has built some Fuji-specific profiles and Sony-specific profiles so there is precedent in the space.

What exactly is it that you want to do with these Nikon picture controls in Photolab?

I don’t want these picture controls in PL. For me they are equal to presets. What I want to say is that I want to know what was used. In the Nikon software that’s visible. Just as an example.
When one starts working with PL and is discovering the possibilities and the tools, it is desirable to know what a tool is doing. If I want to compare the presets by example I need to know what is on the screen at the moment.
I don’t care about the presets anymore. The standard is good enough for me for most of my pictures. Sometime I change to ‘no corrections’, depending on the image.

George

Alec,

I completely agree with you. However, I was trying lo view this situation from the point of view of those who want to see the last preset applied clearly identified. For some people it is obviously an issue…

Mark

ref to → Changing/resetting the default preset applied to an Image - #39 by mwsilvers

As if to me I had noticed such a behaviour … I did some experiments and copied a bunch of developed pics (raw, jpg, tiff) to a new folder, stopped PL4, deleted all *dop-files externally and restarted PL4.

With PL4 set to
Screen Shot 09-01-21 at 06.18 PM

The Advanced history indicated for the raw-files
Screen Shot 09-01-21 at 07.08 PM 001
while they had kept their previous corrections (visible with “Active corrections” ON).

With PL4 still running, I applied “No correction” and the change showed up
Screen Shot 09-01-21 at 07.52 PM

Then, after closing & restarting PL4, the Advanced history indicated for the raw-files
Screen Shot 09-01-21 at 07.08 PM 001
inspite of having lost their corrections (visible with “Active corrections” ON).

Well, that could be irritating. – In Windows, the Advanced history is not permanent.

1 Like