Changed behavior on 6.3: cropped image not automatically maximized after cropping

I note on the v6.3 release notes…

New in DxO PhotoLab 6.3
New features
• The paper & ink simulation for Soft Proofing is now available
• The DxO Wide Gamut working color space is now available for RGB images
• A new workflow to download multiple optic modules (modules without ambiguities) has been implemented
• The global value for Lens Sharpness is now set to 1 by default
• Support for color profiles in multi-display setups
It’s now possible to see the whole image without constraint when using the crop tool
• The shortcuts for size/feathering modifiers have been harmonized between ReTouch (previously “Repair Tool”) and Local Adjustments
• Preferences regarding Metadata synchronization are now available in the “Metadata” tab of the PhotoLab preferences

I have made bold the part that caught my eye…is this what the developers are describing and the above being seen???

PS due to PC issues I have yet to update v6 much and I think I am still on 6.1 ???

PPS in regard to the way the issue has revealed itself and (some) of the posts…IRRC the Mac & Windows version have always had differences in GUI and some functionality, therefore I wonder if the smoothing out of these differences a root cause of such ‘bugs’(?) creeping in???

I keep all the .exe installers I download and have v6.2 to hand.

On a side note, DxO don’t delineate the versions in the name.exe a source of annoyance to me and I nagged Topaz about the same matter and they thankfully changed and their versions and they became individualised :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, HOWEVER this implementation has completely broken the “zoom to fit” functionality. And it needs to be fixed.

1 Like

Me too. Whenever I download a new version I change the name. I have a few of the older versions still.

This really needs to be fixed now, not in some future version. It is very annoying even for the occasional crop. For those who crop a lot, this becomes a very significant issue. I can’t imagine why this was done and what they thought the advantage would be.

Mark

1 Like

Try editing a two camera event where the two bodies have different image resolutions. Total frustration…

3 Likes

Even for simple crops this was a totally unnecessary change which clearly is upsetting a lot of users on this site.

Mark

1 Like

Thanks…useful to know about the names. Unfortunately I think I came in at 6.3 so I really need the downloader for 6.2 and hope they (or someone) will provide it.
And just for clarity re the crop - it is an appalling problem which needs fixing ASAP - my previous post was just quoting what they were telling me

Since the V6.3 the version is indicated in the property of the file.
This is the case for all DXO software, PL was the last where the version was not indicated.

2 Likes

Yeah. I know. Sorry if my comment came across otherwise…

Obviously I agree about fixing this issue, it’s slows me down a lot also… Fortunately I saved 6.2 also.
I am a bit hesitant to call it a bug (see my initial post also), but it’s a big issue for me, and others in this thread.

Rolling back to 6.2 is actually a good idea. I have to see if I still have the installer. Checking the release notes there’s really nothing big in the changes between 6.2 and 6.5 and with all the zooming hassle I’ll be able to work much quicker in 6.2…

Hopefully I still have the installer.

Let me know. I can put it up on my page if needed. I assume DxO wouldn’t mind since they caused the issue :wink:

Thanks for the offer… I still have it… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also can’t understand why they didn’t fix this bug immediately.
Especially with lenses that have a lot of optical equalisation, it looks terrible and requires extra work.
We are now two versions further along and still no correction :frowning:

1 Like

Photolab 6.6 is out today: this bug is still not fixed…

I’m getting tired…
DXO still has not addressed some really simple things.
And capture one is starting to release AI based auto edits and really optimizing their tools for fast editing.

I have a 500+ image gallery to edit and deliver this week and a day job too…. and I am not looking forward to it…

1 Like

The question that comes to mind is why are DxO support & developers are (so) ‘silent’ on the matter???

1 Like

This is a very annoying bug in the Photolab software.
This bug is still present in version 6.6!!
Why isn’t DXO fixing it???

but it’s in the changelog:
New features
• The “Constrain to image” option in the Distortion palette and Volume Deformation palette is now checked by default