Changed behavior on 6.3: cropped image not automatically maximized after cropping

I’m not sure what this escape issue you’re talking about is but the “fit to window” bug with the cropping tool that is the topic of this thread was introduced in version 6.3.

2 Likes

Thanks MikeR, I am also a bit puzzled as to which issue is at least put on the list.

I see that hitting esc when in cropping mode, it crops which is indeed unexpected.

However the issue I raised here is about showing the result maximized in the ‘correction preview’ after cropping. That was how it was before 6.3. Now I have to manually adjust the zoom-level (scroll wheel) each time after cropping to get the preview maximized.

Could you share what was put on the list @Cecile-C ?

1 Like

Depends on what you mean by before.

In PL5 the image magnification wasn’t coupled to the Crop tool at all: the Crop tool respected the user’s chosen magnification just like every other tool. This made perfect sense to me since there’s no more reason for Crop to force a specific magnification than there is for ReTouch or Horizon or anything else. This wasn’t the case on Mac, which did couple Crop with magnification.

Now, in PL6, they’ve started messing with this on Windows. I jumped in a 6.3.1, but I find this auto-zoom fairly hideous, both for the inconsistency with other tools and the the fact that it doesn’t play very well with rotation in the Crop tool: start rotating the image and it has to be continually resized and the rotation changes. In practice I have zoom out a bit for the experience to be smooth, to undo the Crop tool’s auto-maximize.

They should have made this an option instead of just breaking Crop for new group of users.

Edit: I think coupling magnification and Crop is a mistake, but if they had to do it to make some users happy then it should have been an option. The justification for the change from Support was the usual “user feedback”, but I don’t think many people send feedback on things they like to try to prevent DxO from randomly changing them.

1 Like

In PL4, PL5, and PL6.0-6.2, when you clicked the zoom to fit button in the top toolbar on windows, the image was scaled to fit the window. If you selected tools and made edits to the image that changed the size of the image (notably horizon and crop), no matter how you activated and edited the image, the image was scaled to fit the screen…. I.e. the zoom percentage would change automatically, almost as if you clicked zoom to fit after every action…

In version 6.3, this behavior is broken. The zoom level is at this point unpredictable after a crop. It is broken and it should be fixed.

Some “escape” discussion was only a diversion and is clouding what’s being discussed here. It should have its own topic instead of hijacking this one.

2 Likes

Ah, then there seems to be three different issues: the behaviour of Crop when zoom-to-fit is pressed first (that I didn’t know about; never use it), the new auto-zoom-to-fit when it isn’t (my gripe), and the behaviour of the Escape key.

The first two in your list are the same and the one brought in the first post on this thread.

1 Like

Can’t be, since in PL5 there was no change in magnification when the Crop tool was selected. This has been added in PL6.

Relaxed people think in decades…so only 2 years to go
:sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy: :crazy_face:

I can assure you in PL5 on windows if you had selected zoom to fit before entering the crop tool, then when you entered the crop tool the zoom level was changed to shrink the image so you could see all 4 corners.

I don’t understand what the description of the change means in PL6.3. But the behavior is not good and was the reason for the original post.

1 Like

I don’t dispute that, but my second point is the behaviour when you don’t press zoom-to-fit before Crop, which I actually thought was the issue until you clarified it.

I usually edit with some space around my image, so less than zoom-to-fit. In PL5, if I then selected the Crop tool the magnification was unchanged: the Crop tool respected my chosen magnification just like every other tool. This changed in PL6, which now zooms the image as if I had pressed zoom-to-fit, and then returns the magnification to my previous value when I’m done. That’s the behaviour I dislike.

Yes - there does seem to be some confusion here - with unrelated mention of the old Esc-key issue (whereby the Esc key functions to “complete” the action, rather than “abandon” it).

Instead, this topic is drawing attention to the change to Crop tool behaviour that was introduced with PLv6.3 … with the very annoying implication as described above by @miloman / the OP.

@Cecile-C: Would you please confirm that it’s this Crop-tool issue that’s “on the list” for correction.

1 Like

@John-M Hello, Yes !! I can confirm this is really identified and planned, but we cannot communicate on a delivery date or version.

3 Likes

Any automatic zoom scale change will cause trouble with some users and a recalculation of the preview. This can get a real pain in the neck, specially on old hardware.

Why can’t we stick to the zoom level set by the user? Maximizing while cropping can be okay, but afterwards, the preview must return to the zoom level that was set by the user before cropping.

Yes, exactly. That’s what changed with PLv6.3 … Probably best explained with an example;

1. Zoom set to “Fit to Screen” …

2. Crop enabled …

3. Crop applied …

The result is no longer “Fit to Screen” … it’s left at the crop size.

This is the issue the OP is reporting, and I agree that it’s very annoying !

5 Likes

Yes, zoom factor set by the user should include “fit to screen”.
:+1:

I suppose that behind the scene, DPL remembers zoom as a numerical value and “fit” is no such thing, unless it is made either “0” or something that can be recognized as “fit”. At least, it looks like it in the DPL settings file…but restarting DPL makes it come up in “fit”, no matter what was set when I quit out of it. Something smells odd here…

2 Likes

What you’re describing (I rarely use zoom-to-fit) is how it used to work at magnifications less then zoom-to-fit. You cropped and were simply left with the cropped image. Now they’ve broken Crop both for users that choose zoom-to-fit and expect the crop to be zoomed as well, and for users that don’t use zoom-to-fit and expect Crop to not mess with the magnification at all.

3 Likes

Thanks for explaining the issue better than I did.

Today 6.5 was released, unfortunately the issue is still here.

@DxO: could you make the ‘Fit to screen’ button sticky for example? In the old days I used a development tool in which it was possible to make a button stick, I think it was (keep) pressing control (or shift,…) and than clicking the button. The button would stay ‘active’ (change in color) until clicked again.

1 Like

For the record, I got a reply from DxO on the issue:
Our development team reviewed the information in your ticket, and they asked us to thank you for bringing this issue to their attention, and to let you know that they have added it to their list of items to correct in a future version of the program. At this time, they do not have any information regarding when this will be completed.

I raised this and support said they “asked the PhotoLab developers to take note of your feedback about this change when planning future releases”.
I stressed that it was not feedback but a bug and when will they fix it

I then got this reply this morning:-
“The developers have replied to previous queries about this change by saying that the change was made deliberately in order to bring the Windows version of PhotoLab closer to the way the Mac OS version works, so I cannot log this as a software error. I’ll forward the ticket on to them so that they’re aware how strongly you feel about this issue, but it doesn’t seem likely to change in the near future.”

At the moment I have reverted to using DXO v5. I would not have upgraded to v6 if I had known about this change.
I have also asked to be able to download v6.2 since earlier comments said it was not an issue in that release

If they get enough support calls they might actually do something about it?

2 Likes

Either they don’t understand the issue as you are reporting it, or their reply is BS.

I’m hoping it’s the former.

I get the idea of the new feature to change the scaling when you select the crop tool and that specific bit I’m okay with. But the fundamental problem is if I had selected zoom to fit before, I don’t get zoom to fit after

It is absolutely broken. It absolutely needs to be fixed…

I have been a big advocate for DXO but my patience is wearing thin…. There are some absolutely basic usability issues that are easy fixes that have remained for years.

This latest bug is causing me problems. Slowing down my workflow and even caused me to misrate a few images that I thought I had cut off hands because I assumed the image was zoomed to fit but it was zoomed in a bit.

As I said, it’s absolutely broken.

1 Like