Canon EOS R5 conversions are dark

PureRaw’s processing of RAW files from the EOS R5 seems to be a bit off. There’s a noticeable amount of darkening in the middle of the image and corner vignette is over brightened. If you compare an R5 DNG from PureRAW against the same image converted using Lightroom’s profiles, the latter looks noticeably different (and better). Looks like this profile needs some additional work.

Hello @tdominey ,

it’s probably a probem with the Optics module.
Can you provide us one or two RAW image (on https://upload.dxo.com/) so we can analyze it and have a fix ?

Regards,
Marie

Hi Todd,
Was the issue ever resolved ? I edited a few yesterday and they looked terrible. Your description of the fault is spot on.

I edited a few images yesterday. They were very dark in the middle of the image. Has a solution been found ?
Camera - Canon R5

I’m having the same issue with my R5. In DPP4, it looks great, but once processed through DxO, it’s darker. It’s not a LR issue b/c when I import the .CR3 file to Lightroom, the histogram stays the same.

Has there been a fix to this problem?

1 Like

Hi Wanda and welcome.

Are you using Canon’s Highlight Tone Priority(HTP, D+) or Automated Lighting Optimizer(ALO) when you are shooting your RAW files?

Thank you, Mark.

ALO is high and HTP is off.

Okay, you need to turn ALO off. These are adjustments that are proprietary to Canon. DPP and the in-camera JPG(if any) will automatically apply these adjustments thus making the photos appear lighter. However PR2/3 does not see these Canon-only adjustments and ignores them, making the photos appear darker. There’s nothing you can do about the photos that you’ve already shot(except increase the exposure in a photo processor), but if you leave these adjustments turned off, you shouldn’t have this problem going forward.

Thank you so much, Mark. That explains why I never had this problem with the earlier version. I will turn it off and see how it works out.

I really appreciate your assistance.

1 Like

This never made a difference.

I do have the same problem. Are you working on a way to fix this issue so that we can still shoot with the HTP or D+ and when we are converting an image, we do NOT have this overall darkening effect??

Mark has not posted here since the spring. I was in contact with him in July but it is not clear when he will return. I didn’t want you to think he was ignoring your post.

Mark

I do have the same problem. Should I send you two sample pictures so that you can analyse them and have a fix?

@yvesg888 hello, fix for that issue will be released in November. thank you for your understanding

Great news! Thank you! So anxious to try it! Shall we be informed of it when it is released?

@yvesg888 yes, an update window will popup when launching the software

Ok. we are now December 20th and no fix for that issue has been released yet!!

Up to when shall we have to wait for that issue being fixed???

Thank you for your help!