Blur still there after being erased

I paint a mask over the entire face and set the Blur to a number that clearly shows the effect. I then erase the portions of the mask that cover the eyes, teeth and lips. The blur does not get removed in these areas and still exists. Why?

This is the only adjustment made and no other local adjustments exist. Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, PL version 2.1.1.

Thanks,
Brian

Can you describe the specific tools that you used ?
Brush, Auto masq, eraser !?

Pascal

I tried using Auto Mask and Brush. Used Eraser on the masks created by both. No difference.

I tried to recreate the problem and I couldn’t. Are you sure you didn’t inadvertently create a new mask and then select the eraser?

Mark

No, there is only one mask. After creating it, I held the Alt key down to use the eraser on these areas.

If it makes a difference, it’s an old NEF file shot on 9/18/2012 by a D200. The file had some editing done to it back then using Capture NX 2 (not sure the version). ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/250, 0 EV, 40mm. Lens was the Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6.

I have not tried doing this with an image taken by my new camera, a D7500. I can give that a try, but wanted to find out if this is a known problem first. I have a lot of images taken with the D200 and it would be disappointing to find out it was camera-related and couldn’t be fixed.

Again I had no problem doing exactly what you did. I can’t imagine the NEF file being the issue, but others may chime in on that. Are you saying the eraser does not work for any adjustments?

Mark

Beware of eraser with alt key !
http://dxo.tuto.free.fr/RegLocaux/Local_Adjustments.html#4_La_Gomme

Pascal

2 Likes

Pascal makes a good point. While ALT should have worked, did you also try to explicitly select the eraser icon?

Mark

No, I just used Alt. Did not select the eraser icon.

I think I found the problem. I didn’t notice that the brush attributes listed at the top change when you press the Alt key; a different set of numbers! It appears that Flow and Opacity were set to values that didn’t provide enough for the eraser to completely remove the effect. I don’t know where these values came from (is there a default?).

I’m new to PL and this was not intuitive to me. You erase the mask regardless of the values set. Yet if you want to remove the effect entirely, you’d better make sure those values listed above are correct. There’s nothing during the act of erasing that will indicate how much is being taken away.

So to completely erase (100%) the effect in areas of the mask using the Alt key, what should Flow and/or Opacity be set to? Pascal, I read the note from your link but I’m not sure I follow.

Thanks to both of you for your help. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

Each tool has its own settings.
For eraser, a good start is define feathering (100%) and, generally, a very weak flow.
In your case, flow 80% or more is a good point.

Ah ?
I wrote these howtos like referential for my interventions on the forum.
I pay attention for any question.

Pascal

Pascal, let me clarify. My statement you quoted refers to the sentence before it and was not a general disparagement of your tutorial.

So to completely erase (100%) the effect in areas of the mask using the Alt key, what should Flow and/or Opacity be set to? Pascal, I read the note from your link but I’m not sure I follow.

So does Opacity play a role at all? Why set Flow to 80% instead of 100% if the goal is to remove the effect entirely?

Any thoughts regarding my first encounter with Eraser (as I’ve described) from a usability standpoint? I know from my own experience that some great insights can be gained from new users. Thanks!

YES I wrote too " - Increase brushstrokes (go and come back) on the area."
In fact, in two or three brushstrokes all the area is clear.

Pascal

Somehow I had missed your tutorial. I need to review it in detail, but thank you!