Automatic corrections applied even though "No Correction" preset selected

I finally found the “secret”! In the “light” section, the “DxO Smart Lighting” facility was activated. Which doesn’t seem ok to me! That is, if you select that from the start the program does not intervene in any way on the raw photos and lets you choose the corrections you want. I hope all this discussion is useful to developers otherwise I’m very happy with what PL5 “knows” how to do

Yes, that would be natural. So why is the raw I’m viewing with DxO PL5 so different from what I’m seeing in ACDSee organizer? Basically this phenomenon is misleading because I don’t realize what the correct correction setting is as long as the PL5 starts doing the corrections even though I set it to not interfere with the raw correction. And I didn’t find any facility to go back to the original state

Even if I set “no correction” after a few moments I noticed a rather significant change. Now I set it to “Standard DxO” but I didn’t notice any difference

There will always be a difference because the RAW processing engine in each app does things differently.

What you are trying to do is to match the RAW rendering to the JPEG preview image, which is determined by JPEG settings in the camera.

PL5 is not interfering with the RAW conversion, it is simply applying the algorithms that DxO deem give an acceptable rendering. If you want the truest of renderings, always use the “No corrections” preset as default - ll the others have been engineered to give differing looks, that might please some who like this or that JPEG rendering including the Standard DxO one.

Don’t forget that the preview you see for the first couple of seconds is purely the embedded JPEG and not a true RAW rendering, which appears once it has been rendered.

1 Like