Artificial bokeh

To mimic radial filters use Control Points with Chrominance and Luminance set to 0.

• start with one or more smaller CPs, to fit the face as shown in the video
    (several CPs appear as one CP in the Local Adjustment layer)

• set LA Blur to a lower value, e.g. to 10
    (you can trim the blurring for the ‘overall appearance’ with the Opacity slider)

• in LA layer revert this one CP

• in LA layer duplicate the reverted CP

• enlarge the radius of the CP(s) to ‘restrict’ to the further surrounding
    (CPs have a nice fall-off and blend smothly)

• set LA Blur to a higher value, e.g. to 30
    (you can trim the blurring for the ‘outscirts’ with the Opacity slider)

activate the mask view with [ M ]
set Chrominance and Luminance to 0 !

have fun :slight_smile:

Thanks.

I can see what you are doing.

What is the reason for ‘activate the mask view…’ ?

Why set Chrom and Lum to 0 ?

Presumably you need to do Invert at the end. Yes?

Tony

Experiment and try what I wrote – should work. :slight_smile:

I have done. It worked.

Thanks again.

Well, at first I thought ‘what a silly idea to mimic the rendition of a good portrait lens’. But then I watched the LR video and read the whole thread, which somehow slipped off my radar.

Experimenting with your idea was interesting and I noticed, that the blur tool enhances highlights, which is quite different to reducing texture (microcontrast) or sharpness – I’ll remember that.

Using an artificial blur technique is not a replacement for bokeh but when done well it can still be a useful effect.

Mark

1 Like

After trying the Control Point suggestion I moved on to try using Auto Mask. Here is one effort with a before and after.

Another that already had a bit of bokeh

And finally an attempt using the graduated filter

By no means perfect but, for me anyway, encouraging enough to justify more experimenting

Tony
London UK

Hi Tony,
as Automask generates a quite sharp ‘edge’ instead of a smooth transition, I don’t think it’s the ideal tool. And different to duplicated control points you can’t change it’s size to further manipulate with new settings.

• The 1st example doesn’t look convincing to me. The bridge and the reflection in the water are much brighter now and as such distracting. Suppose you can lower the highlights.
    But what I don’t like at all is the sharp wall against the bright and completely unsharp plants at the riverbank. Apart from the illumination, there is no sharpness fall-off.
  • The 2nd example looks better, as you could make use of the original’s bokeh. Again, try another version and carefully reduce the background highlights.

Your attempt with the Graduated Filter looks like an (overdone) demonstration, far from reality.
Just an idea, if you have access to FilmPack try the Miniature Effect with low settings (or from the Nik Collection → Analog Effects’ Bokeh).

Anyway, thank you for sharing your attempts. We all profit from examples. :slight_smile:
Wolfgang

I’ll have another go with Control Points but my first tries found them blurring the bit I wanted to keep sharp. Maybe the feather was too strong.

Your points are interesting and valid. I did not expect approval on the third set. The second has already got a start to work on. The first I can revisit and darken the water. Yes the plants are lost in the mask and I could try to remove it with the Eraser.

But I will look at Control Points again of course.

1 Like

I’ll put these up and you can see what is not working for me.

Original first.

Then using Control Points

Then Auto Mask

Not the easiest orignal to work with but I wonder if my first circle is not large enough or maybe too large?

Try with less blurring + reduce the background highlights or maybe better reduce the background highlights before trying to blur (blur just a little to stay believeable).

Can you upload a raw-file (or pm)? For this pic I would try with a graduated filter to mimic 3D and manually exclude the guys from the mask. That could work as they are the pic’s subject and both close to the cam.

well, I couldn’t resist :slight_smile:

VC1 → _1150415-1.jpg.dop (158,9 KB)

Screen Shot 12-10-21 at 08.12 PM

• ‘cut’ the overall overblown highlights with tone curve

Screen Shot 12-10-21 at 08.12 PM 001

• CL to counter background highlights
  • GF to mimic 3D
    (excluded the guys with eraser at 100% and the top of the tree/trunk with low settings)
  • CP to brighten the shadow under the cap / add some texture

compare the VC1 to the ‘original’

Sorry about the slow reply. Dinner time.

I have been working with some indifferent files. Too lazy to dig out some older ones.

My work is photojournalism and I can see how the folk who use my shots gravitate to the ones with better bokeh. I use m43. I am too old to cart around FF kit.

I’ll dig out some better RAWs and send something to you so you can see what you can do with them.

A bit busy over the weekend - so as soon as possible.

Tony

Thank you all, good ideas, I think I’d prefer the inverted Auto mask, not perfect though and quiet some effort.

An idea would be to be able to create a mask based on sharpness (this exists on other software - maybe this is a bit more complicated than only sharpness).
This would be great to increase DOF (can looks like at least 1 more stop without looking wrong).

Totally agree.

You can do it on a phone so why not a PC?

There is a vast pool of folk who have moved from FF to m43 and who regret the ability to separate their subject from the background when on FF the background would be softer.

I’d pay megabucks for this. Far far more than DxO are wanting me to pay for FilmPack!!

and try to soften the hard edges with the eraser, set to soft edge and low(er) opacity – as an idea. :slight_smile:

The Wolfgang suggestions do work.

But each image has to be hand done.

An algorithm that created a mask based on detail would work automatically on every frame selected - leaving only the fine tuning of how much softening it needs to be done by hand.

Everyone who reads this thread please add your vote. I cannot believe there are (currently) only eight folk using DxO who would not use it!

Tony

I’m one of many who aren’t interested at all in such image manipulation features. If I needed those, I’d get more special-fx oriented software to complement my raw processing chain, like Luminar Neo

Thanks Dirk,

Never heard of it before.

I’ll investigate.

Tony

1 Like

Dirk - you are a genius!

Original shot:-

Out of the box adjustment with Luminar AI

Just what I wanted and I did not even bother to ready the instructions - so plenty of scope for fine tuning.

Another go to see if it works with more than one person.

Tony

1 Like