Apple ProRAW support?

Does DxO PureRAW support Apple ProRAW images from iPhone 13 Pro . . ?

3 Likes

As has been answered many times before, no.

ProRAW is not a true RAW file format, it is an Apple proprietary format that contains already processed image data, sometimes from more than one image, along with metadata.

Every RAW-format except DNG is “proprietary”. It’s a very bad excuse for not supporting ProRAW because nearly every other RAW-converter does so…

3 Likes

I agree, it’s a question that has been asked and answered many times before. But why is that, and why does the answer keep coming back as No?

As regards the format, this is from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211965:
"ProRAW uses the industry standard digital negative (DNG) file format, so you can open ProRAW files with apps that are compatible with DNG files. For the best experience, however, use apps that are compatible with ProRAW files . . "

It’s not as if ProRAW is a new thing or impossibly complex. Other major imaging software makers have recognised the rising demand from photographers using iPhones, and incorporated it - except DxO. Until this changes or the reasons for excluding it (which may be other than just technical) are known, photographers will continue to ask. And to weigh up their options.
That would be disappointing as DxO has some brilliant features and is excellent software in many respects, but if I was looking to invest in a new RAW processor today, and read that DxO was incompatible with images from the latest iPhones, I would not consider it.
This goes beyond the cost of the software. It takes considerable investment in time and effort to develop the skillset specific for any application to a point of business efficiency, so having invested that time and effort to become proficient in DxO one might be hesitant to ditch it and start over with another application – hence the question keeps cropping up. Perhaps DxO are banking on that hesitance, but it’s a time-limited strategy. When a large and increasing proportion of a photographer’s images cannot be processed in their chosen software, an alternative one-stop-shop application becomes an increasingly attractive option.

8 Likes

Because the reality is that DxO has not prioritized supporting Apple’s ProRAW format, so far.
You can’t change reality just by asking the same question over and over. :wink:

If you have a Mac, Raw Power is a cheap and a nice RAW development tool which supports Apple ProRAW.

1 Like

Wow. I just purchased DxO PhotoLab a few days ago. I didn’t realize it didn’t support ProRAW until I tried opening some photos.

Between this and the lengthy lag time in fully supporting Apple Silicon without Rosetta, I’m beginning to thing I need to look elsewhere for an alternative with more reliable support.

1 Like

Please, please, pretty please add support for Apple ProRAW. Too many of my photos are taken with iPhone nowadays to be able to do away without support for ProRaw!

1 Like

OMG - I just bought an iphone 14 pro for the camera to supplement my A7Riv… I just assumed DxO would support Apple raw, as they have been generally good in the past. In fact that’s why I switched to Dxo. No??? OK, no upgrade then. and I guess I go back to Adobe. Sad.

2 Likes

DXO is primarily a raw converter and Apple Raw is NOT a raw format. Apple just calls it “Raw” but in reality it is a heavily processed file with a misleading name. IF you want to shoot raw then make sure that whatever you use is actually a raw file.

1 Like

What’s the problem? Past versions of DxO have supported JPGs from iPhones, and that’s most certainly not a RAW format.

1 Like

That is correct. But who would spend quite a chunk of money for DPL to work on jpgs while most of the useful tools within DPL can not be used with a jpg?

1 Like

I strongly think that Photolab should support all smartphones RAW (including apple ProRAW) for people who want to process all their pictures with the same software.

However for PureRaw & ProRaw i don’t really see the point.
If one day Photolab supports Apple ProRaw, DeepPrime would not be applicable because the image is already demosaiced and denoised, in camera.

Keeping all the ProRaw data in the resulting DNG may be difficult, as ProRaw for instance includes a “tone map” of highlights & shadows to be able to simply adjust the amount of “HDR look” in post-processing.

Capture One now supports ProRaw: link.

“Do you use your phone for shooting? With our latest release, you can now display and edit your Apple ProRAW images just as you see them on your phone.”

3 Likes

With the new phones having 48mp, DxO needs to take this seriously and get this done ASAP. :angry: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

…
I have bought an iPhone 15 and it took me a while to get used to it.
I am not complet satisfied with the result : the iPhone decides automatically the corrections of colours, contrast… and the result is exaggerated ; I must do some more tests compared to my iPhone 7 which satisfied me.
I want to use ProRAW to improve processing.
Do you know a practical solution to edit the RAWs ?
iPhone Photos : just for kids, very insufficient
Mac Photos : probable the same ; I don’t want to use it because it is a blackbox that manages directory storage in its own way
DxO : see above
Thanks for your ideas !

1 Like

To edit iPhone ProRaw files use the Raw Power app available in the MacOS app store. Forget DxO for this. You can use Capture One, but I believe Raw Power does a better job.

The Fotos app can be set to work with existing/custom image folder structures, in which case it leaves images where they are.

I mostly use Fotos for finished images and sharing.

J’ai à nouveau examiné le fonctionnement de Photos et modifié le point de paramétrage.
J’ai aussi trouvé les différents réglages nécessaires mais je regrette néanmoins l’absence de support dans DxO qui est plus ergonomique que Photos.

DxO clearly has no interest in supporting Apple ProRAW (or any other iPhone .DNG files), for whatever reason, despite iPhones being used by many advanced amateur and pro photographers who would prefer to use that native format. DxO Photolab doesn’t even support the .DNG files from the ProCamera app (which btw is quite good, and in many ways better than ProRAW - but it can’t do macro focus in 3x mode . . ).
I’ve been experimenting for over a year to find a processor for ProRAW - with some success. I’ve tried Nikon Studio (it can’t even open the image!), Affinity (ok), ACDSee (ok), Luminar (so-so).
So for now I develop RAW images from my iPhone in either ACDSee or Affinity. Both work fairly well, but as I’m much more familiar with ACDSee and it is my DAM app, I tend to use that. The .DNG files usually open slightly over-exposed but details can be recovered with minor adjustments. (Fwiw, ACDSee is an excellent cataloguing, editing and RAW processing program which does not require you to import and export images, supports layers, and lets you control where your images are stored. It also has a companion iOS app called Mobile Sync which makes transferring iPhone photos to your computer over wi-fi extremely quick and easy.)

Thanks for pointing on Affinity.
I like ergonomics of DxO and ability to apply several parameters at once : is it possible with Affinity?
Affinity is not much expensive and I will perhaps buy any way.