A little confused

After a lengthy period of testing various photo editors, I was left with PL Elite or LR. I chose PL Elite to save the pennies over LR.

When opening any folder in organiser I see the thumbnails of that open folder auto adjust and remain as such. It’s not, after opening half of my collection over several hours I started to check on folders opened earlier and to my annoyance I was watching the auto adjust going through the folders it earlier had adjusted. I think this is related to the cache in preferences? If I clear that cache the auto adjust starts all over again.

If the auto adjust is stored in the cache then it just rolls over when it hits 1000mb? this data is at risk of being destroyed and at present I find waiting for a folder of several hundred photos to auto adjust is time consuming. Are there any issues where increasing the cache slows down everything else? Is it simply just best to turn auto adjust off in the preferences/advanced window? - the presets are available via the UI anyway.

I think I have got my head around the lens optic modules, had no problems with my Sigma or Tamron, just the kit Canon EFS 18-55 IS STM is being a pain, the module updated images in two folders, but the remaining images in later folders still show with a yellow dot in the camera top right of thumbnail and that was after selecting the correct (only) lens from the augments window.

A quick question on DOP files, I see they should go in the folder with the original image, do they go anywhere else? And is it possible to create these files as jpg rather than .dop.jpg?

Thanks

//A quick question on DOP files, I see they should go in the folder with the original image, do they go anywhere else? And is it possible to create these files as jpg rather than .dop.jpg?//

The .dop files contain the adjustments you make in PL as the RAW edit is non destructive (you can check this by using another RAW viewer editor. You won’t see any changes that you have made to the RAW file as only PL reads the .dop file).

So no, you can’t have the dop file as a jpg as it is really just a set on instructions containing the edits you have made.

Not certain where you get the term .dop.jpg though. You should have the original RAW file (.CR2 as I see you are using Canon?) + a .dop file containing the adjustments you have made. If you output this file (export) as a jpg it will merge the CR2 and the .dop instructions to create your finished jpg, but still preserve the original CR2 + dop. separately.

I had an issue with a lens module not being detected properly and failing to apply the corrections. Just delete the module, restart PL and then add it again. That worked for me.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum,
about the “image plop”, this happens every time you select a image again and again. It’s one of the things that users can annoy. It reads the dopfile for editsettings and the optical module for lens characteristics.

…the .dop files (sidecars) contain the customizing recipe (the things you did to the images) in order to keep the original images untouched for non-destructive operations. The sidecar naming convention (name.jpg.dop) allows to distinguish sidecar files that belong to different source files, e.g. if you have both raw and cooked files (name.cr2 and name.jpg) from your camera.

Moving or renaming sidecar files (outside of the app that manages the sidecar file) breaks the connection between the original file and the recipe and might create a confusion because recipes are also stored in the database.

If you don‘t like the sidecar files, you can switch them off in DPL‘s settings. The downside of this is that you lose a kind of backup of your edits as well as the possibility to edit the same files (stored externally) with more than one computer.

3 Likes

Using DxO PhotoLab as a tool for culling will waste a lot of your time and increase your frustration enormously with the application and with image processing in general. Those of us who use PhotoLab a lot and on large shoots generally work in a fast culling application first. iMatch, PhotoMechanic, FastRawViewer are some of those applications which play well with others and actively use XMP sidecars (neither Lightroom nor Aperture created XMP sidecars reliably and pro-actively, only on export or sync). I choose FastRawViewer as it can be configured to a minimalist interface, it’s very fast and it costs all of $15. FRV is also cross-platform. In a world where you pay more to get less value in photography applications, FRV is a breath of fresh air. In seven years, I haven’t had to pay for an update yet.

In any case, the easiest way to work with DxO PhotoLab is to first grade all of one’s photos in FRV. I then move all of the five star or four and five star photos into a selects folder which would include 30 photos instead of 400. PhotoLab reacts much more quickly when pointed at a folder with 30 images than 400.

I then systematically work through those images

On a smaller shoot, one can

1. rate the photos in FRV
  2. point PhotoLab at the folder
  3. filter the 100 photos to show only the 5 to 20 four or five star photos

I often use the traffic lights in PhotoLab to further refine my selects for processing.

PhotoLab is not Lightroom. It’s a much better RAW developer (here’s an example of a difficult image better processed in DxO PhotoLab, albeit it’s C1 in comparison, I’ll add Lightroom when someone wants to complain about Lightroom’s absence and create a good Lightroom version for me) but it’s not a photo management tool. There’s some tools in PhotoLab that look like photo management tools but PhotoLab is fundamentally slow at moving between images which makes it useless for large scale image evaluation.

4 Likes

Hello Steve,

fully agree with Alec. do not cull within DPL. I use a DAM software - in my case Photo Supreme. My workflow is:

• dowload into Photo Supreme
  • cull
  • keyword, geotag rate etc… within PSU
  • edit raws in DPL
  • export as 16 bit tiffs master files.

DPL will take over all the keywords, ratigngs, tags you synced in Photo Supreme into your masterfile.

3 Likes

could i just increase the size of the cache as 16000+ images are more than the 1000mb the cache defaults at?

Yes, you could, but I doubt that it will make your experience better. I‘ve tried with different cache sizes and noticed no change in responsiveness. Your mileage might vary though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice Alec