Wrong lens detection

Nikon D500 + Sigma 800 1:5.6 APO EX DG
is wrongly recognized as Nikkor AF-S 400mm 2.8
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-05 um 17.42.41

sample image - developed with PL4

Did the RAW file come straight out of the camera? Or was it edited in other software before being opened in PhotoLab?

straight out of the camera as NEF (Nikon raw) and opened with PL4 (latest patch)

I would guess that is something for @Marie to have a look.

Hello,

it’s very strange we identify a 800mm as a 400mm :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@avalon can you provide an image from the camera ? A JPG one is enough.

Regards,
Marie

it’ already in the opening post, Marie

Sorry but no it’s not, or I really missed something :sweat_smile:.
I need an image straight from the camera, not developped by any software.

so, you want a raw file and not a jpg500_4207.NEF (23,9 MB)

the image with dove in my initial post is only converted to jpg by PL4. Here, you have the original file

Thanks for the RAW. I’ll check Exif/MakerNote datat.
What I meant is I could do with a JPG from the camera (when you set the type to JPG or JPG+RAW in the camera) and not an image developped by PL4.

Regards,
Marie

OK now I have everything.
We don’t propose the module for the Sigma 800mm F5.6 because we didn’t make it, and I’m sorry but it’s not in the roadmap for now.

To match an image and a module we use several Exif/MakerNote information in following order:

1. LensName
  2. LensID
  3. LensInfo (for example : 18-35mm F3.5-5.6)
  4. Current information of focal and aperture

Information 1 and 2 are not always available (especially for cameras of old generation).
Any of this information could fit several lenses (1 and 2 are supposed to be unique but all makers don’t respect that).

So when a module for a couple doesn’t exist yet PhotoLab can propose a module for one or several other lenses.

In your case we propose the AF-S Nikkor 400mm F2.8E FL ED VR with AF-S TC-20E III because it is a 800mm F5.6.

Of course you don’t have any obligation to download that module. And yes our lens information is wrong. I’ll see with concerned teams if we can improve it when a module is not downloaded.

Regards,
Marie

I’m really wondering, Marie, as I used the same combination in the past (2017). I just checked one of the developed files and it’s developed with PL3.2.
I guess I’d have filed a bug/complaint when you would have attached the wrong lens module to those images.
Btw. I’d really appreciate having a function to select the lens myself from the database and assign it to an image in addition to the automatic assignment. So, I’d be able to select a similar lens or completely relinquish on using an optical module as it’s not the first time I’m running in this probem

2 Likes

Suite du sujet Wrong lens detection :

Hello everyone, new on the forum since I found a thread describing my problem, but old user since DxO v1 (when you had to pay for the lens modules)…

Same issue for me (PL 4.2.1) with a Canon EF 300mm f/4 IS L mounted on a Sony A7R3 (via a sigma MC-11 adapter), modules for the lens and camera installed, but PL sees the lens as a Canon 75-300mm f/5.6 and wants me to downloads these modules. Any help would be appreciated.

I agree with most people that a way to assign manually a module to a lens would be a great option.

1 Like

Indeed, but DxO chose a different path with the modules. They not only include lens properties but the combined behaviour of a specific lens attached to a specific body.

The current way of selecting a module can get you a wrong selection as @Marie or @sgospodarenko wrote somewhere out there. Under such circumstances, skipping a module altogether could be better than applying corrections of an other combo.

As for your individual case: Your lens is not so terrible that you’d really need a correction other than maybe a slight manual nudge in the CA tool.

I know that, but in my case, there is profile for the Canon 300mm f/4 IS L, a profile for the Canon 5DSr and Sony A7R3 for this lens, it works with the Canon combo, but not with the Sony camera Canon lens combination, probably due to the Sigma MC-11 adapter. In that case there is no possibility to use the profiles already existing in DxO, the only choice is NOT to use the profiles or download one that has nothing to see with my lens (in this case a 70-300mm zoom lens is the one proposed). This is one of the reasons, while having been using DxO since v1, I always go back to Lightroom at some point where you can choose the profile you want.

Agreed, the DxO RAW engine is better, the noise reduction is brilliant and the their lens profiles are the best, but if you cannot select them manually when they don’t work, I don’t see the point.

okay…so I guess it’s scrambled metadata, possibly caused by the MC-11 as you suppose, which means that currently, the only fix would be to edit metadata in the affected files. To prevent future complications, a different adapter could help - or maybe a firmware update for the adapter. All of this is annoying nevertheless.

Maybe, DxO could also offer a wider set of lenses that might fit instead of a perfect miss.

• Better offer a wider selection to make things more resilient!

As @Marie put it some way up in this thread:

To match an image and a module we use several Exif/MakerNote information in following order:

1. LensName
  2. LensID
  3. LensInfo (for example : 18-35mm F3.5-5.6)
  4. Current information of focal and aperture

Information 1 and 2 are not always available (especially for cameras of old generation).
Any of this information could fit several lenses (1 and 2 are supposed to be unique but all makers don’t respect that).

So when a module for a couple doesn’t exist yet PhotoLab can propose a module for one or several other lenses.

1 Like

Hello @Symmar22

Could you provide an image so we can analyze it ?

Regards,
Marie

[quote=“Marie, post:16, topic:19061, full:true”]
Hello @Symmar22

Could you provide an image so we can analyze it ?

Regards,
Marie
[/quote]

I’ve sent you a JPG (out of camera), since the RAW is too heavy for the forum (87Mb), strangely discovered 2 other files, same camera, same converter, same lens where the combination is recognized, with and without tele-converter. There is however an ambiguity on the model of the converter, I am proposed the x1.4 converter v2 AND v3 (mine is v3).

Thanks for your support, it is much appreciated.

Hello @Symmar22 ,

thanks for images but they don’t contain Exif information.
Could you, please, upload RAWs to upload.dxo.com under your forum name (instead of the support ticket number) and let me know when ready.

Best regards,
Marie

Sorry Marie, I just didn’t know how to do it. I just uploaded the RAW files on your server.

Best regards.

Jean

@Symmar22 ,

no problem :slight_smile:

Image identified as Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM has LensID equal to 170.
Images identified as Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM with TC 1.4x have LensID equal to 177.
So they appear not having shot with the same lens when they have all 3 been done with the Sony A7R III.
If you confirm they have all been shot with the smae lens I’ll open a bug to improve it.

Concerning the ambiguity between TC 1.x II and III once you have donwloaded the right module it’s OK. If you have downloaded both you should remove the wrong one (through the menu DxO OPtics Module → installed modules)

Regards,
Marie