Wrong behaviour of horizontal scrollbar

When viewing an image placed on this forum it’s shown first as window sized. When clicking again it’s shown in real size. What happens I can see and use the vertical scrollbar but to get to the horizontal toolbar I’ve to scroll downwards first. It seem that the vertical scrollbar is part of the window and the horizontal scrollbar is part of the image.
Try it out with a big image.

George

No answer and no fix yet.

George

Well, that seems to depend on screen resolution & window size and picture size & aspect ratio.

Experimenting with a ‘panorama size’ → first screenshot
while reducing the windows’ horizontal width,

• the first click showed the screenshot fitting in the ‘small’ window
  • and the second click the screenshot heavily enlarged plus the horizontal bar.

View it on real size. No horizontal scrollbar.

Only when scrolling down the horizontal scrollbar becomes visible. And the X to leave the window becomes invisible.

It seems that the horizontal scrollbar is owned by the image and the vertical scrollbar is owned by the frame.

George

I just tried with your image and it behaved as expected. Don’t forget you are looking at a web page and the vertical scrollbar is provided by the browser but the horizontal scrollbar is provided by the image widget. If the default height for the image widget is taller than then the window for the browser, then there is no way you can see all of it without scrolling vertically.

Of course, with images that are not as tall, you don’t need to scroll vertically to find the horizontal scrollbar, but the behaviour is identical if the bottom of such an image is below the bottom of the window.

See what happens if I crop half the height off your image…

Both scrollbars must be owned by the frame and always visible.
I opened that same image in FF: two scrollbars. That’s how it should be.

An image from wikipedia

George

Viewed on Safari for Mac, your full image displays both scrollbars but not simultaneously. They only appear automatically when the appropriate mouse scrolling happens. But this may be due to having an Apple Magic Mouse, which scrolling in any direction because the whole mouse top is a scroll pad.

Nonetheless, I only see expected behaviour.

Hi George, not to argue with you :slight_smile:

My standard web browser is Firefox (screen 2560 x 1440 px / 125 % scaling in Windows).

• Like this your pic shows up with ~ 863 px for horizontal / ~ 20,09 cm,
    ( measured with → Pixelruler / adjusted to the above conditions)
  • 1x click opens it to ~ 1672 px / 38,94 cm
  • 2x click enlarges it to ~ 2400 px / 55,91 cm
  • while the real size is 1920 x 1282 px / 44,72 cm
    ( → download opened with FastPictureViewer / 100% view).

When I open the downloaded version in Firefox, it shows different sizes, depending on the mode
( fit in the window, real size or enlarged → 2400 px ).

To countercheck I used MS Edge …

• showing up with ~ 863 px for horizontal / ~ 20,09 cm,
  • 1x click opens it to ~ 1800 px / 41,92 cm
  • 2x click enlarges it to ~ 2400 px / 55,91 cm

@Joanna, I wouldn’t call that expected behaviour. Scrollbars should be owned by the frame that contains the image. On this forum the vertical scrollbar is owned by the frame but the horizontal scrollbar is owned by the image. Expected by me anyway is how FF or Wikipedia acts.

@Wolfgang, the image is 6016x4016 pixels. Standard D750. The forum makes it smaller, and in a bad way. But my problem in this thread is the horizontal scrollbar.

George

Yes, I know – a while ago it was limited to 1920 px. :frowning:

And then there is the question of the correct profile (besides that pics for web should be converted to sRGB anyway … to ‘maximize’ the chance to be seen with more or less correct rendering in case the app (browser, viewer) has no correct(ly set) colour managment.

@Wolfgang The problem is still the scrollbars. When viewing an image that’s bigger as your frame you should get the scrollbars. The viewport is starting at the left top of your frame. In this forum software it’s impossible to directly move the viewport to the right. I’ve to scroll down to become the horizontal scrollbar to become visible scroll to the right and then scroll upwards again. Can you confirm that?
I’ve never seen this behaviour before.

George

Please excuse my lack of realisation of the problem you are seeing. With a Mac, no matter what the software, users normally don’t need to use the scrollbars because the Trackpad or the Magic Mouse both provide scrolling in any direction simply by swiping on the surface of the pad or mouse.

When you are used to such functionality it is difficult to appreciate that other folks might still require to physically access scrollbars.

I am guessing this is also possible on a Windows laptop that has a touch pad. And a Windows mouse with a scroll wheel can be made to scroll sideways by pressing the shift key whilst rolling the wheel.

Don’t forget the forum software is not something that DxO has control over.

Yes – and usually I click once, in case I want to see the presented pic (mostly screenshots) a bit bigger OR download the file to see the result really sharp.

With two clicks and depending on picture / window size (ratio) my simple mouse also allows to press & hold the middle scroll wheel and with some vertical / horizontal motion to move (scroll) the visible part
Screen Shot 04-23-22 at 10.19 AM or Screen Shot 04-23-22 at 10.19 AM 001

Moving the image with the mouse is possible too. PL doesn’t use scrollbars. It’s a choice the programmer makes. But when you made the choice for toolbars do it good.
DxO does have control over the forum software.

George

@Wolfgang , those pictures are from the internet browser? How did you manage to move the viewport horizontal, and vertical?

George

Yes, screenshots taken while running Firefox …

With two clicks and depending on picture / window size (ratio) my simple mouse also allows to press & hold the middle scroll wheel and with some vertical / horizontal motion to move (scroll) the visible part

that is, I changed the browser window size / ratio to ‘provoke’ both variants.

( screenshots taken with the Print key and trimmed back afterwards )

You can do the same with the wheel on a mouse in Windows by rotating the wheel or pushing it to the left or right. I rarely use the Windows scroll bars. Some people may use them out of habit.

Mark

2 Likes