Write keywords to XMP

:smile:
The edit function is quite good at this time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

if i want to use the search, keyword function given by DxO in the library tab then i first need to connect keywords on my rawfiles. And the given point that i am only use rawfiles (mostly) to edit in dxopl, i need to have a kind of entry capability as i can do in Silkypix(raw editor) just a simple kind of keyword tagging which is connected in the DB and written when exported in the jpg exif/itpc. Not perfect but in essence it is workable.
Or the use of a special intake application which import your images from the SD of the camera and which allows you to edit the keywords sticking to your rawfiles so when you load the folder in DxOPL and index it, you have the use of the search function, provided in dxo, and in the future when your rawfiles get sunk in your archive of thousand’s of files you can find specific types of files to make projects.

So in that matter/way of use, a full blown DAM isn’t needed(for me) but a edit/ modify keywords possibility yes please!

totally agree on this.

That’s why i looked for a easy single task app to create keywords in a easy way without much knowledge needed for "hierarchische"and professional DAM structure like some professionals needs to keep track of there work. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry I did edit my original message and replaced edit with post-process.
I am being a bit sarcastic, I might got contaminated a bit :grin:

You found your favorite tool to add keywords to your raw files right ?

sort of, :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could you add a link to this thread please?

If they are written to XMP, it would be cool, if the hierarchical ones would be written to lr:hierarchicalSubject. This is the tag, most tools do understand. But as long as there is no hierarchical keywords panel, where I can place all my keywords like files in folders and apply/remove/rename keywords of a selected photo set through commands in a context menu, and as long as there is no xmp roundtrip for hierarchical keywords, I just will continue using Lightroom Classic for that.

Thank you, Joanna.

Can you elaborate on how you use Apple Photos, Lightroom, DPL and your own browser? Are they all in your workflow and if, how?

I don’t use Apple Photos, apart from for a few Nikon D100 files that won’t open in DxO and I don’t have Lightroom.

From the camera, I use Apple’s Image Capture to transfer to disk, creating folders as necessary, in Finder, to transfer into.

If I am editing straight away, I simply double-click on a RAW file to open it in DxO.

My folder hierarchy is : place / year / month / day and if I can’t remember where or when I took a shot, I use my own browser to allow me to find stuff. Once found, I can then open the file in DxO from the browser.

I thonk it’s already the best option (Lr or other DAM).
If there was never this panel in PL it would be better !
I mean it’s not the job of DxO.
Pascal

3 Likes

Maybe, but the current implementation is a waste of time. I would never enter my keywords into a database blackhole. And typing keywords to apply and search them is also not state of the art.

6 Likes

Insert the> (or <) character to define a hierarchy

http://tuto.dxo.free.fr/EN/Efficacite/Efficiency.html#A4b_Search_for_Images

2 Likes

It is not the same, I do not want to type in hierarchy keywords with all typographic errors possible. I want to browse hierarchy trees and apply existing keywords.

2 Likes

Asser,
fully understand. That is the reason why I use a dedicated DAM software.

2 Likes

Can you guys please recommend me a good reading about hierarchy keywords ?
I have an idea but where do I find the best and easy to understand informations about how it works ?

https://www.dpbestflow.org/metadata/keywording

3 Likes

et en français
https://orchisere.pagesperso-orange.fr/logiciels/html/xnviewmp.htm#5A

2 Likes

i use a year\ 3months\ folder with date and event or place and my end archive has same system but more devided: holiday, family,daytrips, divers and pets
I am not a 10k/month shooter so no problems finding things.
i use a old pse13 library system which i can use to write tags inside the jpg’s exifdata by exporting.
if i could group photo’s by a topic but not a “tag” like “Home” “Holiday” which i use a search keywords. if you use keywords as “holiday in Paris” you end up with lots of keywords which you use only ones. and in my mind “Holiday” is a keyword and “Paris” is a topic/header a unique word to find things.
And that’s i think the issue in all kinds of DAM systems : personal way of thinking.
XMP or IPTC is depending on your use criterium and possible acces to a file.
Rawfiles are more closed containers then Jpeg or Tiff so apperantly only XMP “sidefiles” are easy to create to support your DAM without only depending on a internal Database.
But i think i would be using a image internal info based (IPTC) on the endproduct side.
Which can be rather comprehensive:

So the rawfile database and XMP files side by side on the RAWfiles. wile the export can be embedded inside the image properties. But you need/want a possible export without any IPTC data for web based upload and thus create a web folder imagedatabase where the info isn’t spread out and readable for others.

And here is a Watermark and export module come in handy: place your watermark and checkbox the IPTC/XMF data which can be export with the jpeg image for the web.
export%20to%20disk
“remove EXIF data” is much to a sledgehammer and a more specified export module which you can use to choose which exif data and xmp data will be embedded and if you like to “sign” with watermark will be a big step forward to use PL as centre of your workflow.
for now we need to relay on external applications for managing this kind of things.
Using different apps for small parts of there possible use to get a puzzle resolved as hole.

2 Likes

To keep it clean: IPTC has a location area with Location, City, State, Country. So Paris shouldn’t be a keyword but it should be a City in IPTC under Image Information.

If you refer to “Holiday Paris” as an event, then indeed the keyword should be “Holiday Paris”, although I prefer to abuse other not useful metadata fields for that so I can rebuild my directory structure time after time from metadata.

Yes correct. So a editable IPTC field in your workflow is a key feature. (as export module and internal DB inside PL only is maybe to fragile and closed in so a file side by side of the Rawfile to be flexible in the future and have a solid backup non application dependable is a pre.
That i understand from DAM’s but i am not a experienced user or builder of DAM’s and as people already wrote the more DAM structure and managing tools you build in DxOPL the bigger/slower it gets.
So i think a XMP creator/updater for the rawfiles (preferred as command triggered not automated) and a small simple export module for jpeg/tiff’s with XMP and IPTC editing&writing when exporting edited rawfiles wil be enough for most DxOpl users.
All bigger/ heavier users shall probably relay on Photomechanic or something suitable.

2 Likes

Fully agree. Most important is reading all the info (keywords, color tags and ratings) from external applications and duplicating inside (e.g. add DxO specific keywords). And then a manual export to .XMP file or write to .DNG/.JPG whatever file somewhere buried in a menu.

It should be there just to aid workflow/browsing. E.g. I forgot to add a keyword. Now I have to leave DxO, open another application, add the keyword and go back to DxO. Or I wait and I probably forget to add it. So there is value, but it needs to be implemented with caution.

3 Likes