Workflow ACR to DxO and back to ACR

I’m struggling to find a way to this workflow in the Topic : ACR > DxO > ACR

Recently I have moved away from Lightroom to ACR , mostly because I don’t like the import and catalog system in Lightroom. I know it’s possible to open a RAW file in LR> DxO>LR , hopefully ACR can do the same…

:grinning:

Can I ask why you would use ACR, which is only essentially a RAW coverter, when DxO does the same job but better?

3 Likes

… and a lot more.

John M

3 Likes

Hi Jon - Welcome to the PhotoLab world.

You will be able to continue using LR for its cataloguing features (without need for an Adobe license) - while using PhotoLab for all your RAW file development.

John M

1 Like

Don’t think its possible as the DxO plugin is in Lr which uses ACR as its engine. Have you tried managing it via Adobe Bridge - it is free and powerful. Not sure why you want ACR though, not if you are editing in DxO PL. I use it (ACR) as some of my images are Fuji X but that is another story.

1 Like

Did you read my first post ?
I still have and can use it at any time , but moved away because i can’t stand the import and catalog.

I’m using Fast Stone
:blush:

There is 3 reason I’m using ACR.

1: Range mask - color or luminosity mask. I cannot find something like this in DxO

2:Highlight recovery. DxO is doing a good job , but I think ACR/Lightroom is better.

3:Calibration - Primary color. It’s not the same as working with HSL.
It enhance the color in a subtle way. Giving the whole picture some kind of glow. Especially the saturation slider in blue primary is just fantastic. It’s not only affecting the blue color, but all color. It’s like magic. I don’t think any RAW editor on the market has something like this.

1 Like

I haven’t yet found an image that DxO can’t work well with.

The big problem occurs when someone comes from ACR/Lightroom and can’t find the exact same adjustments in DxO. The truth is DxO is not ACR/Lightroom and does things differently; it just takes time and effort to find the DxO equivalents.

One thing ACR/Lightroom definitely can’t match is the DeepPRIME noise reduction in DxO, but you have to do that at the de-RAWing stage.

Out of interest, find an image that you feel requires the ACR features you mention and post the RAW file here, along with a jpeg of how you expect it to be after editing.

This is impossible since both apps require a RAW image to start with and, once you have made changes in one app, you would only be able to move a bitmap version from one to the other, thus losing a lot of the benefits and RAW tools available

1 Like

As Joanna has said if you post a raw and LR jpg people will have something to work with. Descriptions of effects are not all that useful. I am sure people on the forum will try and help you understand how to use DXO more efficiently. They’ve helped me :slight_smile:

DXO has different tools compared to LR. I primarily use C1Pro and have to take a different approach to editing in DXO compared to C1. This was exactly the same when, after using LR since V1 for 10 years, I moved to C1.

First , my workflow has been ACR > Topaz Denoise > Photoshop. Lately there has been tons of threads about Deep PRIME in Dpreview/forum. I gave it a try and was really impressed. Deep PRIME is just a game changer and superior to Topaz.

I already has edited some pictures in DxO and the outcome was at least as good as in ACR.

My first problem is , in local adjustment , how is DxO making something that looks like color mask in ACR ?
I know about brush and control point + protected point, but can I focus on a selected color ?

The same with luminosity mask. In ACR I can use a slider to adjust between highlight and shadow. How am I doing it i DxO ?

Like we have said, without an example of what you want to achieve, it is very difficult to help you, because you may well use different DxO tools and techniques to those you are used to.

Or, in DxO terms, PhotoLab beginning to end. Once you’ve got to know which DxO tool does what to an image, you will find you can work with the same tool, on the same RAW file from camera to print.

If you supply us with a sample image, we can then tell you which tools you need to achieve the same result.

I used a luminosity mask to adjust the overexposed area.
On the upper left side, I made a color mask , and changed the color.

SAM_0253.SRW (22.4 MB)

I couldn’t find any over-exposure - I just used Smart Lighting, a very slight ‘S’ tone curve and some highlight contrast from FilmPack.

As for the balcony panels, I used the Auto mask tool to select and then altered the colour.

And here’s the .dop file

SAM_0253.SRW.dop (24,7 Ko)

I also use Lightroom and Photoshop with ACR (and also C1P) so I somehow agree with those three points jon1 mentioned.
If I may add 4th reason why someone would use ACR or Lightroom.
On the link below is a video I’ve just made. I did a sloppy work and I could do much better but you will understand.

Is there someone who can show me how to do this in DxO Photolab?

I hope this link works. If not just mark it and copy it and then past it to your browser.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y8uN62sihDZ1y3maL-JSu6Hx_MUfucr_/view?usp=sharing

Best regards;

1 Like

Thanks , this has been discussed in the Dpreview forum many times.

Did you record with the cell phone ?
Try OBS studio ( open source) to record.

Thanks for the tip jon1. I’ll try it.
I could also use game bar to record screen but I forgot so I just used my new smartphone.

I hope someone will jump in and teach me how to remove this nasty green and purple fringe in DxO.

@jon1 did I manage to reproduce your image well enough?

Show us what you mean and let’s see what we can do

Yes , but pay attention to the lower right side of the building. I think I managed to play down the exposure a little bit better. The yellow color was also recovered better , I think.

Have you tried downloading the .dop file to see what I did?

Yes , I have downloaded it.
Opened it in PL4 ,but nothing’s happening. Haven’t a clue about what to do … :thinking: