Windows 10 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling

Hi all

I noticed this setting and having read about, although it seems it primary target usage is gaming, there is potentially some benefit with PL and indeed other such GPU using editing softwares.

It is as far as I can tell turned off by default and once switched ‘on’ the PC requires a re-boot. I have done so but not yet looked to see if I can notice any difference in PL performance?

PS I was hoping to add a screenshot to show the Windows Settings page but cannot do so :frowning:

Oh, the section under this in the Windows setting has the separate part where you can choose which programs (in my case all my editing ones :wink: ) that you use and can optionally select them to use High Performance power usage with the GPU.

1 Like

Didn’t know this one.
Will give it a try.

I don’t know if it will make a difference, but it’s worth a try.

Hi

A very simplistic test I have done is to observe how long Deep Prime takes to show(process?) the preview.

It is approx 6 seconds but though not counted prior to switching the GPU scheduling on I think it was closer to 10 seconds.

PS I have the nVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB VRAM and the latest Studio Driver v511.65

PPS on a side note I just wish the NR preview window was at least double the size it is :frowning:

2 Likes

If this ratio is true and proportional to the whole image it is a huge gain !

for how to → https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=windows+10+hardware+accelerated+gpu#kpvalbx=_Ez8zYrrOPJOGxc8PoISK4AE46

Sorry I spoke too soon :upside_down_face: I have just disabled it and count tested again and there is no difference :frowning: It just seemed quicker :lol:

Having said that there may be improvements ‘under the hood’ and possibly in the export but for now I will simply leave as enabled unless I experience any negative effects :slight_smile:

FWIW, gamers have looked at this closely and found very marginal gains, if any.

I enabled it for a couple of months for testing a while back. No noticeable difference and certain applications went a little funky. Oh, and then it started the odd blue screen.