Will HEIF be the Nikon replacement for JPEG?

Just like battery-gate? (That wasn’t.)

People are free to believe what they want, but planned obsolescence is a crutch for the unexplained — that’s what I believe.

1 Like

In the case of my iPhone 7, it was quite effective despite its age.
The switch from iOS14 to 15 was a disaster; when I take a picture, it takes 16s to display it properly; it took 2-3s in iOS14. There are also noticeable slowdowns in other functions.
It’s programmed obsolescence if there’s a will to slow down old devices, if not at least incompetence on Apple’s part despite its 100,000 employees.

In case of smartphones and tablets which only get updates for like 5 years (Apple) or less (Android) it IS planned obsolescence. The devices might still work perfectly fine, I just don’t get anymore updates and I also don’t get updates for a gazillion apps, because they depend on the OS.

I wonder how long we keep accepting buying a thing and throwing it away in working condition just because of that artificial OS limitation. Dubious “Security reasons” never need to be explained, but are the big excuse for every kind of electronics waste. That’s one of the reasons I still refuse to buy a smartphone.

Who of you has seen JPEG_2000 used in the wild life of the wild web?

I believe the LIbrary of Congress has some materials online as JPEG2000. IIRC they were scans of large maps.

If your device was not slowed down by the operating system, it likely would have shut down due to overloading an aged battery. If you replace the battery, it will not be slowed down. This is all information in the public domain.

Only 5 years you say? I checked on this only a week ago upon realising my Mum’s iPhone is a 6S. That phone was released in 2015 and still gets security fixes. It was getting feature updates until September 2022. If you think that’s not very long, then I would recommend you invest in a Nokia “candy bar” phone, but that will probably stop working as networks evolve.

Do they last as long as cars? No. Should we expect them to? No… unless you are willing to forego progress.

If we are to go with your definition of planned obsolescence (at any time scale) then the same criticism can be levelled at just about any appliance in your house. Because no refrigerator or television is designed to last forever, either.

Security fixes are not the same as OS updates. Several online banking apps no longer allow me to use OS 14, so both iPod touch are becoming useless. Buying electronical devices with firmware/software these days is nothing else than buying a set of tyres for a car. And the car has to be trashed after the tyre’s profiles are down.

Please enlighten me. What kind of progress? Becoming more and more depending cloud services? Replacing cash to become more controllable and transparent to banks and shops than ever before?

These devices were once repairable, which makes a lot of sense if the basic design was good and solid enough. Not any longer although there are exceptions. But right, throw more plastic into the oceans, draw more power to produce for “progress”, suck all rare Earths out of the soil and dispose them in 3rd world dumpyards.

I just question your definition of “progress”.

Canon R5 and R6 introduced HEIF support in 2020. The R3, R7 and R10 have continued this. HEIF is the new JPEG and will eventually replace it. Considering all the supporting applications, cameras and Apple products mentioned above, it is obvious that DXO Photolab needs to catch up.

What’s funny is the reason I have update although I did’nt want to apply ; it was necessary to be able to read discourse used for this forum and for another one that I read intensively.
I understand the reasons why it is impossible to give to old devices some last features ; so Discourse, for instance, should have neutralise some display functions in a more subtle way instead of referring us to IBM mode 1970…

DNG is based on TIFF and so I hope it will never become a widely adopted standard. TIFF has a super-old and horrible data structure. Most RAW formats like CR2 are also based on TIFF.

If something new becomes standard from a software developers perspective I hope it’s something as well defined as PNG.

Because of (the lack of) … security updates.

Whatever your personal definition of “progress” or “old” are… you should by now understand what you can and cannot expect from these companies. Whatever you might think, they’re not doing it to spite you, nor to try to get more money from you. Well actually… yes they are if you consider that a business’s main goal in life is to make money.

The usual excuse for obsolescence are these security updates. The door (and the lock in it) of the house I live in is the same since 15 years for sure, possibly longer. If it would need “security updates” on a monthly or annual basis it would raise some doubts in its security as door itself.

And still the security can be breached although decades of these updates passed by. Which again raises many doubts about the effectiveness of these devices and their software. It’s a lie, it’s simply the business model of them: make the device unrepairable, no spare and wear parts available and add the urge to buy a new one by creating the myth of always actual “security updates”.

2 Likes

Cool. Now invite the whole world to come and try to break in. That’s what internet-connected devices need to withstand. Not just chancers who happen to come upon your door.

I take it from this that your job is not in the IT sector. I will leave you with this quote from the book Into the Black by Roland White. It is a book about the Space Shuttle, though this section refers to the Apollo mission computer that preceded the Shuttle.

It’s typical for people who work “in the IT sector” to add one complication after another instead of making the devices more secure by simplifying their use. To set up a router these days, you need a master’s degree in network operations. And in your example, the computer in question just ran and “ran through endless commands” - and I guess it didn’t get a single update? And the users in front of it were the designers and not the victims of designers, programmers, marketingers - meaning “normal users with no master’s degree in computing”?

Wrong example! Not “the whole world” is banging against the doors, onyl few individuals or groups with criminal intentions and a wide variety of open doors because it’s keys got lost, were overly complicated to use (and therefore left wide-open, “PW1234”), set up wrong by default (and design). If a doormaker would follow the stupidity of “people working in IT business”, he would built a door to be seen from the moon, with standard locks and a key-ring for every single one of them available for free.

@zkarj, when I flew home from Manchester airport last Friday, it was total chaos because the baggage system was completely down. It’s not a rare experience, it’s an everyday experience that IT things don’t work, hinder efficiency, are vulnerable, or are too complicated to use. But instead of fixing what’s going wrong, the next step toward AI isn’t taken, it’s rushed right in.

No. Wrong to engage, I see. I don’t think this conversation is doing either of us any good.

I agree, different views and points of view. And none has to do much with HEIF :smile: