Why you d't use ZIP compression for TIFF 16bit?

Why you d’t use ZIP compression for 16-bit TIFF-files among the [Export to disk] options. It will make smaller files (up to 10-15%) and will not degrade image quality
I know that LZW opposite to ZIP does not work at all well with 16-bit files and often makes them larger.

I second this. It’s strange to have the 8-bit compressed option but not the 16-bit compressed. If there’s a good reason, I’m curious about it. sergeA is correct about LZW. This compression algorithm should not be used for photos. Most often, it makes the file much larger than the original. But the 16-bit ZIP compression is rather effective. I use it all the time when exporting from LR or when saving TIFF files in PS.

2 Likes

Zip-compressed tiffs can be problematic with some editors. When using the Nik Collection as standalone, Dfine, both Sharpeners and Viveza don’t accept zip-compressed tiffs. Also the new AI versions of TopazLabs DeNoise and Adjust don’t want zip. It’s only when you use them as plug-ins within a host editor which decompresses the file for them that those programs accept such input.

But I agree, it’d be nice to have a zip-compressed 16-bit tiff export option in PhotoLab.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer. Just additionally checked the Affinity Photo and Luminar - this editors works fine with zip-compressed tiff’s (8/16 bit). And… DxO PL 2 also load/edit the tiff file(s) with zip-compressed format )

Affinity Photo has a better support of the PSD file format in the sense that it allows you to simply save the layered file, without having to duplicate it via the Export function. PhotoLab doesn’t support the PSD file type, so when using the “Export to application” functionality a nice trick to know about is this: after you finish editing your jpeg/tiff in AP simply close the file and when asked what to do click save – the tiff gets overwritten, and you don’t have to create a secondary tiff file via Export.