Why is DXO PL 6 not abe to read DNG fies exported from On1 pro?

On my M1 mac when I export DNG with full adjustment from DXO PL, other software like On1 pro it can read those files with adjustments done in DXO PL however when I export from On1 pro with adjustments DXO PL fails to read those exported DNG files giving a loading error.

Where as ON1 can read those DNG files exported.

You might find your answer in here:

2 Likes

Its really annoying they refuse to allow DNG, I just spent an afternoon having to start to learn putting them through Affinity. The danger is clear for DxO thr more of us having to do so the more will just stay with a program that deals with all there images rather than messing about having to use two

1 Like

Found this thread discussing for the support for DNG.

1 Like

There is a very long thread on this… PL does not read DNG files created by anything other than a camera PL supports. So DNG’s created by Lightroom, ON1, VuScan or anything are not usable by PhotoLab. So it is not correct that PhotoLab says it supports DNG. It is somewhat missleading. at best.

I won’t be upgrading for PL5 to PL6 as most of my images are not readable by PL. I have bene a DxO User since long before it was PhotoLab.

2 Likes

Its a really stupid refusal. I can load a jpg from my phone and use most of the tools, but not the DNG and use the same options that would allow a better result. OK the DNGs will have the same not supported mark as jpgs do now but so what!

There is a big difference between JPG and DNG. Jpeg is a compressed representation of the image and nothing but the image, as saved.

DNG is Adobe’s take on a RAW file. Although considered and marketed as ‘highly compatible’, the RAW information in the DNG file is still manufacturer/software specific. Just as a Canon CR2/CR3 file is Canon specific and a NEF file is Nikon specific.

So there’s no such thing as ‘support for DNG’ as you would actually have to support the vendor specific RAW data inside the DNG.

2 Likes

Yes DNG is more than jpg which is exactly why its used but many other programs have NO problem opening them and ones like Affinity allow editing even though my phone is not a listed device. Clearly information on lenses corrections etc. would be missing, as in jpg, and you have to build (I hope in Affinity a profile) to replace automatic corrections. But having to struggle to do it in Affinity makes me much less willing to keep paying for PL. Indeed I spent some time looking for suggestions for converting the DNGs and found a lot of existing (and some former) DXO PL users having posted in a range of forums the same frustration with DXO not supporting DNGs and in some cases saying they had moved all there editing to programs they could do all there processing on and I am thinking the same. As camera use declines and phone use has both improved and increased is a death wish as far as I can see to refuse to supprt them.

What a difference, LibRaw support came back asking for samples of the DNG from my phone, almost immediately came back after I sent them that they will get the phone support added so its in Affinity. Its not there yet and clearly will not be as good as a proper camera/lenses profile but it’s a start and an amazing difference to dealing with DxO.

2 Likes