Why do PL and Nik want to connect to the Internet every time I use them?

I agree. Just saying what I see with my firewall.

In your settings I do not see the “check for update” option.

Yeah, I do not see the check for update option either. I never let anything automatically check for updates.

1 Like

I do, but never let it install automatically…

Hello @nikki,

Can you, please be more detailed? I mean when does it happen? And what message do you see?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

On Mac here and yes, PL always connects to the internet als when search automatically for updates and statistics is unchecked. I think this is a license check, or whatever. Apps in generell like to go online for many reasons. I have Little Snitch installed and it’s really incredible what some apps call home.
Thats why I also know that PL does the same.

1 Like

@KameraD please have a look here:
Little Snitch Firewall - Internet Access Policy

And of course I have the same behaviour here.

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks Marc. So an old topic.

Svetlana G.

Every time I open PL it wants to connect to the Internet.
Every time I open a NIK plugin, it wants to connect to the Internet.
dop.cor.exe (or some similar thing–I did not write it down) that function also wants to connect to the Internet.
Seems excessive, unnecessary, and frankly intrusive to me.
Is there a way to prevent this behavior–within the program. I can block it with my firewall, but the behavior seems odd.

1 Like

I am on Windows but do use a zone alarm firewall that I have set to alert me when programs ask for Internet access.

Ah, no, I invited you to vote for the IAP for Little Snitch in order to get more details when DxO establish a connection :slight_smile:

We are on Mac and have the same here.
We will get an answer soon I am sure… after a nice weekend hopefully :slight_smile:

1 Like

oops sorry, voted :wink:

1 Like

Don’t forget Nik was in Google hands for awhile. No one loves phoning home like Google (it was using a Google updater at one point which was a whole separate running process like ALM.

High time DxO backed off here a bit. If we wanted to install spyware with our photo software, we’d subscribe to Adobe CC.

Hello,

• It happens so because PL tries to check if there is any update of the CafList.db on the server and if there is an update of the version. You can’t disable it inside the app - only outside by blocking the access to the Internet.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Thanks, Svetlana.

When a version has received its last update (before a new version is released) the coding should be corrected so that the program no longer checks for updates since there won’t be any.
But that does not answer why the NIK plugins or the dop.cor whatever tries to connect to the Internet every time. The first time you use the program maybe, but not after that.

@ sgospodarenko
does that mean the option of looking for update at startup is useless or you were referring to the Nik plugin?

Do not know. My install does not offer any option/screen that looks like yours. Difference between Mac and Windows I think.

that’s in “preferences” of PL, no such option in the Nik collection.

No its not useless concerning checking for updates at startup, which it will not do when checked. Than you have to do it manually. Rest see above. Film Pack und Viewpoint you can also uncheck autoupdate. But no idea if it connects like PL for license check. Use it almost not at all as a standalone.
Nik collection also seems not to connect on a regular basic like PL. (All Mac related)

1 Like