Why block .dng

I invested some time in the reason DNG could be a form of inbetween file/container.
Plus: Floating WBpoint, all information to change is still there.(in the case you use the cameracolor supported DNG. The lineairDNG is converted to AdobeRGB in dxo’s case.)
Attached con. Is colorshifting aka CA when you shift in DNG too much WB because optical module in DxO is correcting CA when changing WB.
So in fact a pixel file like 16bit tiff is more stable.

Fastest plus is a default batch runthrough of large numbers of images in DxO to safe time in editing then later. (no waitingtime on opticalmodule working every time you do something.) cleaned up files because of deepprime and sharpening is done allready.
Con enormouse more occupation of HD of files which holds the same imagedata.
(rawfile, dng file, exported files jpeg, tiff.)
Circle around so to speak and reingest after export.

So only interesting plus is free intake of all dng’s from other applications or gear.
Tiffs are free all types by dxo so a converter from DNG towards tiff is the only thing lacking right?

Edit,
Would a standalone module for convercion be enough?
For the moments that there is no optical module (support for the hardware) present.
And do we need DNG? (camera colorspace version) because the adobeRGB version is rather the same as a 16bit tiff in AdobeRGB wrapt in a DNG container.

Try Darktable. It’s easier to get started with. RT is really deep and technical

Thanks.

Will do,

T

Darktable is powerful but can be complex, alternatively you can check Digikam, less complete but simpler. Digikam is more photo management oriented than Darktable but includes numerous editing functions. Of course nothing as easy and good than PL5. Both are free, open source and still maintained. Digikam screen shot below.

Thanks. Another one to look at.

For me the advantage of RAW is to be able to recover highlights that get overblown in the camera jpgs.

DxO does that so well it is a shame we can’t use it and not bother about what the lens does.

Tony

What I found odd about RawTherapee was that it seemed to be incapable of doing any sharpness alterations to my Samsung .dng files.

I then tried DarkTable and it also ignored the sharpness control. I had a look at what was reported on Google and it said that the Sharpness should not be used as it produced distortions (or some similar word). They said the authors were recommending using contrast adjusters so I wonder if the sharpness has simply been disabled.

Lots more to fiddle with. In reality my phone pictures are nothing more than emergencies when I am not carrying a camera. I am not taking the phone out on a quest for exhibition material!

But I love learning new skills as it keeps my brain fresh…

So worth the effort for that reason alone.

Tony