Why aren't the "Prime" denoising being applied?

I just installed DxO PhotoLab trial, so please excuse me if this is an obvious answer, but I can’t seem to get the PRIME type denoising to work. The little preview window changes when I activate the different modes, for example from High Quality DeepPRIME, but the image doesn’t change at all in the big preview window. I’m zoomed in all the way and I can see that none of the pixels are changing.

The effects of PRIME, DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD are only visible in the small preview window during editing, and in exported images. The only noise reduction type visible in the editing screen is HQ.

Mark

Like Mark says …

The reason for this is performance … Your experience with PhotoLab, if NR was being applied to the image review, would be VERY slow - as NR would need to be re-calculated for every correction that you applied to the image.

John M

PS. How does one pronounce your name ? :grin:

suppose it’s a trial name :dotted_line_face:

Mr. xyz would bd a good idea :grinning:

Lol, that’s what you get when they make you enter a username, you don’t have a better idea, and you “randomly” flutter your fingers over the home row to create your username.

Three things that DxO beginners need to know to appreciate noise reduction in DxO Elite:

1. Already covered–you have to watch the small preview window, not the main image window, to see the effects of DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD and sharpening.

2. In the upper right hand corner of the preview window is a crosshairs icon = magnifier tool. Click it and move your mouse cursor over the main image window. Where you click next there in the main image window is where the small-hashmark rectangular box will be positioned–it will change to solid, and you can drag it from there–to select what’s displayed in the preview image window. (I like to land on a small part of my main subject with the noisy background behind it.)

3. Now with a really noisy image like us micro-four-thirds users often have with high ISOs, it’s often very useful to drag the Luminance slider above its default 40 well into 70s, 80s or beyond. If you go too far, sharpness will be adversely impacted. Sharpness can be increased below Denoising, under Unsharp Mask, by moving the Intensity slider to the right; but if you go too far there, you’ll reintroduce noise. It’s a balancing act. Now wait for the spinning arrows in the bottom right corner of the preview window to resolve, and watch the preview window to see how noise and sharpness change. Again to see the effects in the full image, you have to Export.

I just find that discussions on the internet are better when people can remain anonymous. Rather than making up different handles for every site, I just mash my keyboard :upside_down_face:

Let’s see, if you chose another name after the trial.

Dev team - this is totally proposterous that there is NO way how to preview the effect of the denoising filter in the main image view.
I do understand you do not want to rerun the denoising algorithm every single time user touches any slider on the denoising algo. configuration - that woudl effectivelly mean, that computer would be doing nothing else, but constantly spinning GPU/CPU, since users tend to fiddle with these things a lot.

==> HOWEVER, you should allow user to view the result of the algorithm in the main picture window when user needs it!
==> Simply put the dedicated button in the “DxO Denoising Technologies” configuration panel for rendering the result in to main picture view - ONLY when user presses that button, the algorithm would be executed and result rendered in main window
==> If the user will keep pressing that button 10x per second, that is exclusivelly user’s decission to keep frying her/his GPU/CPU cores, not yours. As a helper/feedback to user, you can slap an icon, or progress bar, somewhere on the main picture window, or somwehere else, to indicate that algorithm is still in progress. If user changes denoising settings in meantime, and presses the button again while previous algorithm is still in progress, then fine, just stop the threads of previous algo. run, and restart the thing from the scratch => Again, it is user’s decision to press that button, NOT yours.

Please fix this, I’m really tired of exporting image just in order to finally see the result of denoising on the zoom level I need in the main picture view in order to verify the effect for purposes of my job …

I mean common, last time I saw this kind of user inconvenience in professional software, was like a decade ago (I have my fair share of years in software development mud behind me (20+ years), half of it doing graphics/3D rebdering …).

1 Like

really, really ? you can go and see it right now in ACR / LR - to their credit preview window is bigger :slight_smile:

Hi Trashee Trashcan – welcome here,

you are writing in a User Forum
and your ‘kind’ request has been asked for multiple times
Search results for 'full screen preview ' - DxO Forums

Did you try different software for denoising you are not satisfied with?

Yes, I have looked. There is “Live Review” setting you can enable, howewer, it is not available in the latest of DxO PhotoLab (v7.0.2 build 32 for macOS).
I have no way to verify, whether the issue is present on all operating systems (for mentoined version of DxO software), or it is specific just to macOS & hardware I use (macOS Ventura, Apple M1 Max silicon).

Either way, it is the very latest version of the DxO available at this point, and on macOS, which is pretty common OS amongst pople doing anything related to publishing (e.g. graphics/photos/movie/etc.), and the feature I’m looking does not seem to be available - at least I can not find it anywhere in the UI (menues, panels, etc.).

And the last thing about your comment “Did you try different software for denoising you are not satisfied with?”:
Oh yes, I have tried - Capture One Pro, Lightroom & Photoshop with plugins combo, Affinity Photo, RAW Power, etc.
However, DxO gives me the best results for specific tasks I need to do, Capture One Pro is not that good in these regards.
=> But the fact, that I do not like some bits & pieces about DxO, does not mean, that I do not want to use it. I want to use it very much. It has industry leading nosie reduction algorithm, and other things I realy like.
Look at my rant from different perspective - more as pointing out things to dev team, which can be improved/changed, and in the process of it, getting annoyed, since I have been bumping to these kind of things for many years in software develpment industry. For me, it is really hard not to take it personally, when I see these things repeating, especially in the professional software of DxO rank, one is supposed to pay £200+ for … (Btw, Capture One Pro has quite a few of it’s own annoyances as well)

ACR/LR - you can’t be more cryptic. This is exactly what I have been talking bout - software UI shall be designed using common sense = it shoul be self navigating for users as much as possible. And cryptic nonsense abbreviations used in response/explanation are not helping at all, and actually exactly proving my original point …

??? it is a well known abbreviation for Adobe Camera Raw and LightRoom … nothing cryptic about that

dear, you were caught with pants down with a clear example ( I do not think you did not at least try to “google” what “ACR/LR” means ) how a very relevant company like Adobe ( what’s next ? you will say that Adobe does not make “professional software” ? ) does exactly what you said nobody else does presently :joy:

Please deliver an example of “professional software” rendering such type of NR being applied to raw image in real time for a user for the full image w/o resorting to a limited size preview window

Well, I’m on Windows and don’t know if you have it in any Mac Version
(or MacOS takes care for that functionality on its own).

The online help says …

… which (also) means, it has nothing to do with PL’s big preview.

What you can do for now is to check the little preview, showing a part of the denoised version,
and move the 100% cutout around.

a noisy file, taken at 11400 ISO / shown in PL6, also at 100%