White balance "Setting" picker doesn't differentiate between "As shot" and "Daylight"

As I said, it is right for physical temperature.

The Kelvin scale is specifically for colour temperature, which is not the same, with “warmer” colours given lower numbers and “cooler” colours given higher numbers. That is how is has always been and to state that it is “wrong” is to confuse the issue.

If you really want an ascending scale for the “warmth” of light, you can always use MIREDs, which is a reciprocal scale to Kelvin - that is if you can find anyone else who can be bothered to learn that system.

Once again, this is conflating the idea of physical temperature with colour temperature - the two cannot be compared

Read my example again.
The color temp is always in Kelvin.

George

Or it can also be in MIREDs http://www.openphotographicsociety.org/photography/digital/digital-general/259-mired-values, a scale commonly used by filter manufacturers.

joanna,
you didn’t read my example. read it carefully.

george

The advance of using the reciprocal values is you can add and subtract them. They are used in photography by example with color temperature filters.
A similar thing with the focal length of your lens. The reciprocal value is 1/f which is the dioptrie, and now you can add them. Think about the eyviewer correction of your DLSR, or your eyeglasses. In electricity the resistance or ohm and many more.
There is no difference between Kelvin and Mired. They are both an indication of the temperature.

The colour temperature is coming from a black box temperature.

But back to the subject. Read my example. Tell me what color temperature an image has you see on the screen in PL.

George

So here’s an interesting twist. Selecting “Daylight” on an image whose as-shot value is a long way from 5200/0 does change the values to 5200/0. It seems only those with values already near the preset values are left untouched.

This at once seems understandable and also quite confusing.

The color temperature is misinterpreted. You don’t assign a color temperature to the image you see on the screen. But you tell the converter: thread this image file as having a color temperature of 8000 and correct this to daylight ( by example). The converter is now correcting that image file to daylight. I think PL uses 5400 for that. What you see on your screen is always a to 5400 corrected image.
A hard coded preset should always be shown. If not then there’s something wrong. Even an ‘as shot’ value of 5201/0 should change to 5200/0 in your example.

George