Which monitor do you use for PL6

Maybe this one? https://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/i/i1profiler-i1publish_v3_6_2_mac

As for me. I still use a Colormunki photo along with CCstudio, which allows me to calibrate my monitor and printer.
Edit: I forgot the scanner as well.

ccProfiler is the right one, I messed up with downloading ccStudio first, as my calibration device was listed there. Thank you @Joanna and @danielfrimley, displays looking closer and better than before :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Itā€™s an epidemic. The more powerful the hardware, the worse the software, it seems. Back when I started with computers you had to take care because there were no spare resources to be frivolous with.

1 Like

I remember programming in DOS where we had 640k (that is kilobytes) of RAM in which to run DOS, networking software to talk to the IBM mainframe and then our program on top of that, all with a great text only interface with menus etc. Those were the days :slightly_smiling_face:

Ah yes, the good old days when we had meaningful variable names like X, Y, A, B; function names like Trptsm and the poor soul who took over the project had to try and divine what on earth they all meant.

Now we have variable names likeā€¦

KeywordsImportAccessoryViewController

ā€¦ and function names likeā€¦

func tokenField(_ tokenField: NSTokenField,
                  completionsForSubstring substring: String,
                  indexOfToken tokenIndex: Int,
                  indexOfSelectedItem selectedIndex: UnsafeMutablePointer<Int>?) -> [Any]?

ā€¦which donā€™t care about length restrictions but, my goodness, they are so much easier and can be almost self documenting.

1 Like

I used to use Turbo Pascal under DOS. No problem with function naming. Internal memory was limited to 64K but with pointers one could address memory out of therange.

George

With growing complexity all the nasty side-dishes like bugs, incompatible hardware, changed architecture, security problems, bulbous log-files also grow. Exponentially. I donā€™t think anybody in programming world is aware of what his work can destroy, disturb, make other apps crash. Plus, too many programmers need to know so much about their virtual worlds that thereā€™s simply no time left for real world-problems of users. Also facing the half-life period of informations: This week a must, next week hopelessly outdated. Which brain does bother to memorize al that short living crap?

Itā€™s like building skyscrapers above living caves.

1 Like

I had a 16Kb ZX Spectrum - that was a monster :joy:

All my code is self documenting. Thatā€™s what I tell my boss anyway :wink:

1 Like

When I got started, I was an IBM 360/370 BAL (Basic Assembly Language) programmer. If the code was not heavily documented you were pretty much screwed trying to understand what was going on without sitting there and following all the code, line by line, on paper. That happened to me on a number of occasions when I took over responsibility for almost completely undocumented code.

A simple print routine that might do nothing more then format a single line of data and print it out might require a dozen or more lines of code depending on the complexity. Debugging an error required identifying and interpreting lines of hexadecimal numbers, representing the code, from a couple hundred page long printed core dump.

Code had to punched manually and accurately on hundreds of Hollerith key punch cards and then fed into memory from card readers to run the program.

And, there were no monitors. Code was written manually on specially designed coding sheets by hand and in pencil.

Yeah, the good old days, how I miss them. :roll_eyes:

Mark

I started with the IBM System 3 with 96 colums cards and as language RPG2.

The first edition of Photo Shop was written in Pascal for the Apple. The code is available on the internet.

George

1 Like

In July 2016 I bought two Eizo 27" CS270 (2560x1440)
and use them side by side in Dual-Monitor-Setup for almost 8 years now - still happy with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first job used RPG II on a S/36. These days I use RPG IV which is waaaaay more modern, but I still see old RPG II around the place!

And we didnā€™t have a monitor that time.

George

Eizo Flex Scan S2411W
X-Rite Color Munkin Display.

Iā€™m still using PL5 and use a LG Ultragear 27gp950-b which has 98% P3 colour. I love how it works for me. With 144hz refresh, my text on screen is now clear even when scrolling through articles.

I use an external Dell monitor when Iā€™m up in the office.

On that topic, does anyone have a problem with certain PL dialogs disappearing when using a multiple-monitor arrangement? Specifically, delete and export. With PL on the external monitor, if I export, the export dialog goes to the notebook screen, and with multiple desktops there, sometimes it disappears and I have to hunt around for it. Same with delete confirmations. (please offer an option to override that ā€¦)

When I full-screen an image and Iā€™m on the external, the full screen image is moved to the notebook and does not appear on the external.

Is there a setting to manage this? Does anyone else notice this?

Thanks.

OMG RPG ā€¦ I learned this while a high school intern at a bank in the 70s. It was a really good introduction to the disciplined approach to datatypes.

@George I think there were a few humongous green-screen 3270s around!

1 Like

which I think is due to the notebook screen been set as main monitor

(donā€™t have this problem ā†’ desktop with 2 monitor setup)