Which Mac for Mac Rookie

Currently, Apple is transitioning quite a few thing together: Filesystem, CPU and partition layout. If you are unsure about switching to macOS, you might like to stick to Windows and reconsider in a few years.

On the other hand, an Apple ecosystem (Mac, iPad, iPhone etc.) integrates nicely, while the world around Windows offers a much bigger box of Lego bricks that can help build almost anything you want, if you are willing to do things to your computer rather than do something with it.

At the end of the day, both platforms will do their job. I still like my iMac though.

How did you see this? :thinking: I would expect RAM rather than VRAM here.
Do you mean on Windows or macOS?

Until next release of PL, GPU is not so much used (mainly for demosaicing and HQ denoising on Windows with OpenCL).

This does beg the question as to whether a “Ryzen killer” should be required to process a 50Mpix photo. Affinity Photo has shown that blistering performance is entirely possible on modest Mac hardware. (Notwithstanding parallel processing.)

Having used Macs for image processing since Photoshop 1.0 (not CS 1.0 but the first Adobe product)my rule of thumb has always been by the most horsepower you can afford. My current machine is an i5 27" iMac that I do my work on and PL3 works quite well, with the caveat that Prime noise reduction does take a bit of time (but is worth the wait). All else seems to work quite well.

Where you are more likely to see issues is with other image processing apps using a Mac Mini. I usually advise anyone using any of the Adobe Cash Cow products to avoid the Mini as the GPU is just too anemic. However, you could max out a Mini and buy an eGPU to add on to it but once you tally up all the costs, you end up with the cost of a brand new 27" iMac and get a really nice 5K display.

Hi guys,

thanks to all for all the information and tech specs you wrote the whole september. Haven’t had much time because we were moving to a new flat, and with all the corona rules it was a little bit tricky to manage.
I’m still not sure if Mac or Win, and I will visit the next Apple store within the next weeks.

so stay healthy and optimistic for the autumn/winter time and I will keep you informed :thinking: