Where can i find more detailed information about exporting Jpegs out of DxO PL?

I suffering from some moiré kind of image problems. (did’t had this with former camera because less sharp and the developer application DxO does a extra effort of sharpening the lens input of my g80 plus lens. Which i like but it generates new boundery’s and challences.

I don’t see those things (lining on fabric and brickwalls for instance) when developing on monitor. (1920x1080 native) Or edge lines of bended things whoom are not straight but has zigzag lines on FHDTV.
When i zoom in it disappears so it must be a resolution thing. Source is a G80 no AA-filter.
quick solution is lower global sharpening.

But the “allow image resampling” checkbox reveals some options of sharpening.
(DxO does have a “jpeg for tablet or HDTV” export but then the image is sampled smaller (less pixels) which is after a few years when the 4K or 8K screens are a default house TV a problem that the image isn’t full but a half size and needs to be upscaled for view on full size on screen. (export all jpegs again but then full scale would be a option but eh time consuming)
So again a small row of questions,

1. Does DxO’s raw developings engine calculate the fact that the Panasonic DMC G80 doesn’t have a AA-filter? (its more prone to acting out in moiré effects but sharper in general.) (i have the tool anti moiré default on active assuming it only is moderating the image if necessary.)

2. The fact that if i zoom in on the moiré showing image the effect is gone means that it is over detailing/sharpend, (Clearview is triggering this behaviour on brickstructure’s) and that basicly the limitation of 1920x1080 of FHD which cpu cuts out half of the pixels of 4600x3500 jpeg the 16Mp rawfile can produce. This causes zigzaged lines and moiré.
    How to avoid this except use the HDTV JPEG modes of dxo’s export which lowers resolution to 2048 and 300ppi and Bicubic sharper.
    ( i will select some of the problem images and stick those in a 4K or 8K TV in a store to see if then the problem is gone.)

3. what means the interpolation types basicly what does this settings?

4. finaly, 90% quality is the ideal balance between compression/filesize and max possible image quality correct?

To all in general: how would you store your processed images for watching (not selling or printing on large canvas or something. its a home watching only.
i intend to do a max quality image storage because viewing appliances are evolving and lost resolution is lost for ever. (yes i know re-export from rw2 full scale.)
Every one knows the effect you get from digitalized VHS tapes and old images/ video’s of compact camera’s of 2005 on your 48" FHD screen. (bad resolution if auto upscaling is active or 1/8 of the screen used if 1:1 is active.
Does the viewer-engine influence the quality? (i use a linuxbased Kodi for viewing purposes not straight in usb of TV of WiFi connect to nass.)

Thanks for any help in advanced.

Good morning,

I’ve sent your questions to the Development team. Wait a bit and you’ll get the reply.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

i will, thanks.

Hello,
You can find below our answers to your questions.
Sorry for this late.

Hope that these answers can help you.
And if you have any other question/issue, feel free ask us !

Best regards,

Bao

1 Like

Well i was convinced you did but needed to be sure. :slight_smile:
i will select some examples:(first i re-edit them with my last knowledge of DxO PL to avoid beginnersfaulty’s.)
rw2, side car, and if possible oocjpeg. if i am done selecting where can i upload or give you the link for uploading?

These are only when downsampling is checkboxed and i think i don’t go that road as you suggested not to do. so:

in this case i don’t have any export settings/control? only resolution (300ppi which seems the most preferable setting) and ICC profile.
(which is popping up an other question. :slight_smile:
choise: “original” or sRGB or AdobeRGB(1998) or custom(i don’t go there)
Where can i find the colorspace setting in the developement-workspace?
i found google-ing its default seems: AdobeRGB (1998) but i can’t find any proof in my settings. as far as i look on the right place that is.
In my other raw developer i can set:

• colorspace in: sRGB or wider AdobeRGB(1998), (no use because of monitor doens’t support it) or Auto (sRGB)
  • colorspace out: sRGB or AdobeRGB(1989)
    I set both on sRGB to avoid unwanted colorchanges and knowing that i lose some colorspace by not using Adobe’s RGB.

Back to DxO, in the manual i can’t find any writing about the actual colorspace and the settings to control those. only on the export side:

So as far as i can deduct i need to set my “export to disk” ICCprofile on sRGB? or is “original” better? (what means Original?)
i put mine other raw application in sRGB colorspace because of monitor limitations and most used viewing purpose on HDTV (sRGB). so export is also bound to sRGB in my initial settings.
But in DxO PL it is not visible/documented as far as i can find that is.

(sorry i dive deep in your settings and system. I just want to grasp/understand/control its posibilities.)
But the “preference”-tab is a bit how do i put this, basic? and in the manual i can’t find much detailed explanation and guiding how to setup the DxO PL in its most powerfull way. (maybe it is automatic already maximised)

Best Regards,
Peter

Hello,

==> If you want to quickly send us: you can use http://wetransfer.com/, my email is qbdo@dxo.com
Or if you want an official way, I will ask our custom support.

==> Yes, PhotoLab still misses this feature. It is in our backlog and we hope that we can release in the next version.

==> “Original” means PhotoLab will use the color space indicated in the exif.
In a camera, it usually has 2 options for color space : sRGB or AdobeRGB. When you shot even a Raw image, if you are selecting AdobeRGB for example, in the exif of your Raw image, we have information about this AdobeRGB.
The term “Original” means that PhotoLab seeks for this exif field and use this color space.

Finally, in terms of color space, PhotoLab proposes 4 options:

• sRGB
  • AdobeRGB
  • Original (which turns out that it is sRGB or AdobeRGB depending on the camera setting)
  • Custom (you can select an icc color profile)

As you point out “i put mine other raw application in sRGB colorspace because of monitor limitations and most used viewing purpose on HDTV (sRGB). so export is also bound to sRGB in my initial settings.”, then in your use case, we propose to use sRGB in PhotoLab.

Hope that the information above can help you.

Best regards,

i have to select the data and then sent it to your email. i post few images so you understand what i am talking about. they are mobilephone images shots of the tv.
first is full 1:1 image:
See the curved lining in the bricks.

Then i start to zoom in:(See yellow square how much is shown of the image.)

The apperance start to change. only bottom part is stil showing “zebrastrips”

Third zoom is almost clean, only some purple coloration spots midsection visible.

just above the two stained glas windows.
(this color purplespots are also visible on pc monitor so not a tv issue.)

ive more of this behaviour.

The other thing is halo around a steel object.
bluesky and object with side sun. purplefringing reduction active i think.

When viewing 1:1 its zebrastriping on the edges.

I will export also those two in jpeg for HDTV as a test.
i let you know if this change the apperance.(less pixels)

i will collect all data for you and sent it to your email.

edit:
Did print jpegs in A3 on a commercial toner printer, non graphic, 600x600dpi.
only the purple spots where visible. and the white haloline around the steel.

@sgospodarenko:
just curious, is there any outcome or information about the images i sent over considering moiré looks?
Are those just Jpeg artifacts made by the viewingsoftware and quality (resolution) of the screens?

Hello,

Actually, I do not have the info about it as you discussed it with @doquocbao . But I’ll try to find out.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

i know but you are the first contact i believe so the others can work on solutions wile you get “spammed” by us forum visitors…:slightly_smiling_face:

That’s why i @ your name., it has no hurry or time frame.

Thank you.

1 Like

hi, small bumb, any luck in this matter?

Same as further enlightment, lumination on the subject of “fine tuning primenoise” (tutorial)?
like how Primenoisereduction is set it self on different images and which sliders can help improve initial setting Depending on what noise there is? We discussed this somewere else it seems iso value depending and such. now we just use luminance slider to increase or decrease and others are left on initial default.

Hello,
Sorry for the delay - hot times :). Let me ask @wolf if he has an idea about this investigation.
Wolf, could you, please, assist?

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.