What's the best thing about PL5?

Want to add this little new feature to the list. In fact, I was thinking before, to make a request out of it. But looks like someone else had the same idea. You can now directly click on the tab, to choose an option. Before you first had to switch on the tool for being able to make a selection. Nothing to really complain about, but what has always been a bit annoying anyway.

1 Like

your next chance → https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2501100199337720592

I believe this video is already available… PhotoLab 5 and FilmPack 6! Big upgrades from @DxO - YouTube

1 Like

And if @Pieloe wants to add Steven’s real world use cases of CL & CP to the corresponding tutorial on his very useful new website, that might be a good reference point too (especially since other such use cases are already explained in detail there). :grinning:

3 Likes

Sounds great, Steven. I hope, Frank S. will show us all these tricks in the webinar on Monday. But I’m afraid, he is not competent enough.

Dear all,
I bought the update as I will buy a new camera soon (GH5II or GH6 when released) therefore I needed to buy the upgrade in any way. Functionwise I’m really disappointed from the improvements. Up to now I couldn’t see an improvement of DeepPrime processing speed on my computer.
In general PL5 offers no game-changing improvements. So basically we could also stay with PL4.
Regards, Joerg

Thanks to the reminder from Wolfgang up above, I am now registered for the upcoming webinar.

As to the speed for DeepPrime, I’m not nearly as interested in that as I am in “Control Line”. Just this one addition would have been enough reason for me to upgrade, along with what I’ve seen in the forum with examples of what it can do.

For me, that PL5 accepts images from my Fuji would also have been enough reason for me to buy the upgrade.

Which webinar is being held on Monday? The webinar I just signed up for is on this coming Tuesday.

I like that idea :bulb:

Exactly :+1:t4:

Take a certain image with water sky buildings😉
Place three controllines over them exactly the same line level and feathering level.
Point 1 eyedropper on the sky, one on the water and one on a building.
Rename them in localtoolwindow sky water building.
Now your set to play.
Select one, hit showmask, white is max effect black no effect.
Now try to use the chroma and luminosity slider to isolate (white).
When you think it is done, back to normal view.
(i recal there is a show mask button but am using full exposure - or + or full desaturate to find the wrong selections and blended crosovers so i forgot the commandkey.)
Use this to see if chroma and luminosity needs a finetune.
Repeat twice one the other two.

Now your in for some playing around.
Vibrance, blur, sharpening, microcontrast, hue, etc.
See what’s happening in your image.
Then three copy mask and invert.
Readjust to you have three contra masks. Rename them as neg sky, neg water, neg building.
These you can use to mask out and counter adjust effects from the original mask.
Just play use no global adjustments only those localmask.
Try to make it work.
Have fun.
Don’t hasitate to ask directions

1 Like

To be honest, the second I read about support for the Fuji sensor, I was already 100% onboard, even if that was the only change. I didn’t understand the other things at all, until we discussed things like Control Line in the forum

I’m a bad example - anything I use, I update when possible.

The reason I think I’m a slow learner, is I’m not satisfied with knowing WHAT to do. I need to know the WHY as well. Both PhotoJoseph, and people in the forum make that clear, because I can SEE the difference on-screen, and when I repeat it on my own. By the time I’ve done it myself, I usually understand the WHY because I’ve seen it happen.

I’ve grown up in the USA, and I am very used to advertising showing off things as even better than they really are. DxO understates these things - the actual thing has always been BETTER than what I expected. That’s just me.

For as long as I’ve been doing professional photography, the program “Photo Mechanic” has been a part of me, getting my images into a folder in an organized manner, and culling out the useless stuff. Now it goes right into a folder I open with PhotoLab. Long ago, my photos went into a Lightroom world, no longer. I hardly ever need to do anything with Lightroom - even two years ago, all I used it for was water marking.

You guys ought to refer to your software as being the “Most Powerful Image Editing Software Available for Perfect Images”.

Do that, and you will attract a lot of exposure, and PL can speak for itself once people look into it.

1 Like

Please make a screen recording of what you did.
Upload it to the forum …

Much easier to learn from that.

OBS Studio is free and open source.
https://obsproject.com/

1 Like

@mikemyers, this is the webinar in German language. I received a newsletter for German, English and French webinars. Are you not registered for newsletters?

Thanks philou

It’s already done, right?
“A man dressed in blue on a blue sky”.
Other examples in the pipeline :wink:
Pascal

1 Like

I used to be, but haven’t seen any emails in a long time. Thanks, I will check my status.

Aha! Thanks for the link. That is now today’s project for me this afternoon.

Yes, true, @Pieloe - your tutorial actually covers most of what Steven mentioned, though I really like this one non-conventional use he suggested and that I personally probably wouldn’t have thought of:

As Steven said, the tools are very powerful, but some users (first and foremost, myself) might need to be nudged in the right direction to start making more creative use of those tools. So I’m glad to hear you have more such practical examples in the pipeline! :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely agree Steven. For those of us who use local adjustments a lot, the addition of the control lines and the Chroma/Luma sliders are game changers.

There is a significant learning curve required to understand their capabilities and how to get the best from them, but once mastered they are extraordinary.

I note that both here and in other forums, many of those critical about the number of new enhancements in Photolab 5 indicate they don’t use local adjustments very often and dismiss control lines and the Chroma/Luma sliders as minor local adjustments updates. Frankly, anyone who does not use local adjustments very often does not understand their scope and importance, and as a result they do not really know how to get the best out of this software.

Mark

3 Likes

I will later this week or so.
I have to think about which image and what to do with them.
Then i have to see if it’s usefull for the showing how part.

Regards

Peter

I certainly fall in this category and only occasionally use them on my PL4. PL5 was holding little interest for me since I don’t have a Fuji camera, use an external DAM and run Windows. Since reading about the LA changes and watching videos I realize this is a big improvement and have decided to get the upgrade. There will certainly be a lot for me to learn but hopefully it will take my editing abilities to another level. :slight_smile:

Rod

2 Likes

As always, I strongly suggest that before laying down your money you download the 30-day free trial.

Mark

2 Likes

For many people I agree with that suggestion. In my case I really want to do my little part to help support DXO. I have just been looking for some useful (to me) improvement to push me over the edge to upgrade. So thanks to all of you that have been helping to explain about the new Local Adjustments.

Rod