What feature is the most useful in your workflow?

Thank you, Mark!

Regards,
Svetlana G.

As a retired financial services software development manager at Capgemini (in the US, not Paris) I see things from a different perspective than most end users.

Mark

3 Likes

Nice, would had been easier to just ask which one should come first =)

1 Like

They did. They never implied it was one or the other, just which is more important to your workflow… You need to read between the lines.

Mark

2 Likes

Then I’ll need my glasses =)

The local adjustments is more interesting for my use. Especially invert current mask.
Regards

Part of my difficulty, Mark, is that it was not entirely clear to me as to the exact meaning & purpose of the options presented to us - - The brief descriptions left me guessing, and not able to choose between them … So, I’ll be content to let others decide for me (I have great confidence in this EA group :grinning:).

John M

Yes, I certainly agree with that. Its kind of like a leap of faith that our interpretations of what they are offering might be similar to their intentions. I’d like both features addressed of course. If done well, the local adjustment changes might prove extremely useful which is why I took a chance and voted that way.

Mark

2 Likes

Global corrections are more important to me and I hope the improvement to the HSL module is going to happen before PhotoLab 3. If I can’t get the colours right globally, then is the time to use local corrections but frequently that could be avoided with a more proficient HSL tool.

I hope the poll doesn’t indicate that one of these options is going to be implemented in the next version…

2 Likes

The output of the obviously very small sized DXOs development staff currently results in only one or two new features, at most, in any major release. It is most likely that one of these two development options may make its way into Photolab 3 when it is hopefully released towards the end of the year. It would be nice to think that both will be included in version 3, but I honestly wouldn’t hold my breath. If these two do both make it into version 3, it’s probably a safe bet there won’t be anything else significant in that release.

The only real enhancement to Photolab 2.3, released yesterday, was the dialog box to run the Nik Collection. It should have been added to Photolab at the same time that DXO first offered their version of it for sale. I love PhotoLab and It’s associated software products, but upgrades to functionality by DXO tend to be glacial at best. One has to either accept that, or move on.

Mark

3 Likes

One feature in PL3, second promised for PL4 and not given, then finally appearing in PL5?? Wouldn’t be surprised.

Why not ask DxO for clarification in this thread?

2 Likes

I doubt they are going to give us the complete design specification for these feature enhancements but i guess it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Mark

2 Likes

If I had to choose between those two I would select the Extended HSL controls assuming that it was a kind of replacement for the old Multi-Point Color adjustment. It is the one thing I think is really missing in PhotoLab 2. However I would also make the following comments:

1. The ability to reverse a selection is really important, at least to me, and I find it annoying that it does not already exist in the Local Adjustments dialog box.

2. What I think is more important than either of those two is the ability to create and use a Luminosity Mask.

3. The current Control Point functionality only allows for a circular mask area. It would be more helpful if the mask could be distorted into an ellipse by pulling one side to elongate the circle.

2 Likes

I voted for better colour controls as I expect the first iteration would be better than a layers system which risks slowing down PhotoLab (better colour controls shouldn’t slow down PhotoLab as it’s pretty much just a better way of slicing the same adjustments within the same main engine).

Both are very worthy improvements, both right on mission for PhotoLab and far more useful to every user than an underfeatured and slow DAM system which gets in the way of simply using PhotoLab as a RAW developer.

Just a note to DxO staff on website implementation:
It took me a while to discover how to vote on this question; the blue header appears in every DxO forum topic, without an obvious clue that one needs to go to the Announcements topic to be able to vote. Clicking the blue header does nothing, and it continues to show ‘0 votes’ despite the number of people who have actually voted. At a minimum, clicking on the blue header should take one directly to the Announcements topic.

3 Likes

Svetlana, thank you for the clarification.

Hint: Call the next such poll „ which feature do you want to see next?“ or something like that. This might help us understand what your intentions are (supposing you do want to reveal them) :grin:

2 Likes
  • Official Affinity Support
  • The Plugins should be not destructive (like a live filter in Affinity)

This thread is specifically about feature upgrades in PhotoLab .

Mark

2 Likes