What are the most important improvements for v5?

Thanks for the initiative. I want a competent IPEG Denoise function.
I like to propose a denoising for jpeg files comparable with prime/deep prime or Topaz AI. PL HQ is simply not good enough, and Dfine not much better. One reason for this request is, that Deep Prime has improved RAW develoment for older MFT cameras significantly and led many users including myself to reprocess the old RAW files. However, 15 years ago data storage was still expensive, and I have deleted many RAW files in favor of the JPEG files. I would prefer not to have to use TOPAZ Denoise AI for these files rather than integrate this feature into PL. This would be certainly worth the expense for upgrading.

3 Likes

Generic DNG support (render the DNG even if the camera isn’t supported).
iPhone/HEIC/ProRAW support.

Anything else is icing on the cake to me.

5 Likes

Personnaly I think it’s premature to talk about a major update (5.X) when I’ve just paid for Photolab 4.0. I’m hoping i’ll get at least 12-18months before having to pay more.

2 Likes

Yes also true,
What i ment to do is trying to see what we missing out on and see if we can get a list of importancy which needs to be adressed, in v4 updates and otherwise at least in v5.0 not later.

And in the months comming people can see this as a summary thread.

I like to see tonecurve and histogram in one viewing window and see contrast sliders interact with the tonecurve line but this is not important enough to “demand” this in the next version.
And a luminance-layer select tool. ( first step would be a visual mask of the selective tone sliders, then a manual selective luminance range mask.)
So the first step i find important for progress.

That’s the hole idea of the thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

I find it quite effective, Bob. I suggest starting with the following settings (to make the affect clear);
– Intensity = -100
– Midpoint, Transition & Roundness all = 50
… and then refine from there.

It’s not an ideal solution, Barb - but, you can sort by VC … so, at least, they’re all grouped together.

John M

Thanks for mentioning the second point, John. I would be thrilled if this could be implemented:
https://forum.dxo.com/t/please-add-output-sharpening-options-for-various-purposes-to-the-export-dialog/16917?u=klick

1 Like

It works for sure. I simply don’t like the look of it. It looks to me as if they simply put a black layer over it which doesn’t work too nice on especially the lighter tones. In for instance Capture One it looks like they use (I suppose) exposure for vignetting which looks way more natural.

I suspect that might depend on what is in version 5 which, based on previous release cycles, should be available in approximately nine months. If you don’t want to upgrade for 12 to 18 months from now that is your choice. However, discussing features in PL5 now lets DXO know the preferences of their user base. This is useful to them as they decide on new and upgraded features in PL5 and later versions…

4 Likes

Personally, support for the generic DNG format of Android phones. It’s been in the ‘backlog’ since June 2018, but failed to make it into version 2, 3 or 4. That’s some backlog.

2 Likes

I wonder if a generic DNG import , thus no optical module needed nor camera support, atracks more users or demping upgrades .
My personal thought is more users.
I think the problem is if a generic DNG is demosiaced tiff like data then deeprime is out of use, same as optical module power.(deepprime needs sensorrawdecoding level. ) And every not supported sensor or camera can’t be correct demosiaced, so fuij xtrans dng is still a problem if it’s not turned in a rgbpixel map.

HQ- denoise isn’t distinctive enough to forget about prime and deepprime…
In my opinion a generic DNG is a bandage until the lens and or camera is supported.
But still i would like to have generic DNG support.
Example, i use an other rawdeveloper program and in that i can combine or stack rawfiles to a single file, jpeg, tiff, DNG.
In some cases a floating wb DNG is prefered Above wb set tiff file.
Then again if i import a 16bit adobeRGB tiff in dxo i have still lots of room for adjustments, hence NIK is doing the same.
In V4 is loop DNG possible.(using dxo’s own exported DNG as import file.)
Run rawfiles through optical module and deepprime and use export DNG.
So the heavy lifting is allready done.

1 Like

Are you sure you’re using the “Creative Vignetting” tool, Bob ? … which appears within PL
if you have a FilmPack licenseimage

John M

I agree Peter. I’d love to see the generic DNGs produced by Topaz Labs standalone apps supported. I use these apps frequently when working on my film negative scans. The DNG files these apps produce are far superior to the JPEGs that I get from my cheap film scanner.

@Joanna I think your mock-up is very close. Maybe differentiate the window by making it look different by changing the color, adding a border, or something like that.

1 Like

I would like not to see this in V5 but in V4, really soon now.

1 Like

I would love to see following:

1. Clean up och compact functions in GUI so that we don’t need to go from one corner to a second and then to a third corner to accomplish tasks.
  2. Stop moving around the position of the photo when information boxes are displayed
  3. Option to export XMP-files together with the exported photos.
  4. Two edit tabs would be wicked as an extension of todays Starred and customized view. One tab with the full edit suite as it looks today and one Pure and ultra fast edit view for those who really just want to utilise the DxO Power with a bare minimum of input.
    A bit like Blackmagics Resolves feature where they fully transparent can go from the Full Edit page to a very fast and lightweight Cut Page by switching between tabs.
  5. AI/ML based dirt-on-sensor analysis and cleanup.

Yes, the creative Vignetting from the Filmpack. I do love the set center though, something I wish other raw converters would implement. For me I like the look of the results for vignetting in C1 but it lacks control. Lightroom for me is second, when using highlight priority. It has a lot controls resulting in better results. PL comes in third in this regard, controls are okay but the end result is mediocre to me.

Some support for an HDR workflow would be great, for example support for OpenEXR input, and maybe tools for PQ or HLG grading.

Hi @BobNL,
thanks for your feedback.
Just one question: by “constrain to image option” do you mean that if your image has “black corners” because of the keystoning, when you open the crop tool, the by default selected area should be limited to the “visible” image only (not including the aforementioned black corners)? Or something likein LR, when you rotate the image? Or both? :wink:

Are you aware that you can create your own workspace - precisely specific to your personal preferences? … It will present itself when NONE of the defined tabs are active.
… That is, when they all look like this: image

See here for more info.

John M

2 Likes

Both? I mean more or less the same as in LR or C1, when cropping the crop stays within the visible image. The current auto function always defaults to the center. When I then change the crop (almost always necessary) I would like to stay inside the image area, with no black corners. I shoot a lot of events (mainly dancesport) with dark backgrounds and it makes it extremely difficult to see the edges of the images. It makes me lose a lot of time when cropping.