What are the most important improvements for v5?

Hi all,
it would be really a great help, if everybody would put his operating system into the profile, like Keith, John-M and others do.

Thanks to all

Guenter

1 Like

Good idea, it’s done

1 Like

For me two features would really help:

1. A print functionality with soft-proofing. As a RAW processing tool, I find PL great but find it a bit frustrating when I have to go back to my old LR just to soft-proof and print.

2. Better camera support. At the moment, I see that Leica SL2/SL2-s are not supported and I understand it can take time for the DXO team to make a profile, but the files seem quite similar to older Leica models, so having the ability to process them, even without optimal modules would make PL usable (I am considering one of these cameras and would hate to have to change my workflow even temporarily).

2 Likes

Done :smiley:

1 Like

1- RAW Panorama (with HDR ?) plug-in (with wide-angle like FX 11mm), a lot of projection like ICE from Microsoft and Auto-completion. An Auto detection of pictures with the same focal could be very helpfull.
2- more markers : a color to mark HDR pictures and a color to mark Panorama pictures (actualy, I use one star for all my panoramas and two stars for HDR)
3- Preset Editor with unselect section button (unselect all FX, all chromatic tools, etc…) or a button to create a Preset with only ONE fonction. 2 examples : TSL for landscape in winter or summer are not the same or with meteo : the blue of a sky in cold front is darker than in a warm front.
4- Ability to program keyboard Shorcuts to create a better workflow. Some of them are missing to create a good template with a pentablet
5- Preset Preview with a cursor to choose the size of the previews and a resize fonction of this window
6- Stack JPEG and RAW to show RAW, TIFF, DNG in the same time
7- Eliptic Local Controls (not only a circular tools)
8- Remember the last crop size. I use free size : each crop I must select this !

2 Likes

This is already possible. See my post here

Thanks a lot ! I’ll work faster now ! :+1:

Improve the shadow/highlights tool. Lifting of the shadows changes midtones and highlights and the image looks washed out with displeasing color and white color that looks grey. Same with highlight recovery, which affects everything. Also a C1 user, and this feature works near perfect. For some images that don’t need a whole lot of tweaking it doesn’t matter, while others can’t be salvaged, especially those with his contrast scenes.

4 Likes

Ok if i am right you want a 5 slider selective tone system which ar not blending.
The luminance layers must be not overlapping?

I understand your problem about the overlapping isuue’s when you just want some shadows in the deapest part lifted of just the bright spots lowered and the middle section gets “dull” by the lift and lowering.

Are you having Filmpack?
If so the advanged contraat sliders can help toget better results.
And by using controlpoints to make luminanced color selections you can edge or feather the overlapping area’s of the selective tone section.
I don’t be experienced with LR nor Capture one but DxOPL is about building walls with bricks not pour concrete in a hole. (By making smaller adjustments in different sections you can mold the rawfile to the wanted point. If some thing works often you can create a preset or partial preset to speed up this task.
I am not saying DxO is working easy or the best or good, just that playing around often in it makes it more easy to choose the right tools for the job.

This specific problem is solvable with the advanged sliders in contrast.
Greyed highlights are over detailed and by using the negative contrast too it helps to keep white white. Lifted shadow which is washed out can be more detailed by pushing more contrast in that part of the luminancesection.
Maybe this helps until selective tone is more your style.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks. I have tried all of what you are suggesting and worked with curves adjustment, which may be the best way, but on demanding images results are nowhere near those which you can get with ease in C1 and LR. Except for that DxO is my favorite of the bunch, it’s really fun and inspiring to work with.

I have no experience in LR and the lookalikes. I was supporting the odd player in the field. Silkypix. As home user for fun it suited perfectly on Panasonic rawfiles.
I switched to DxO after a long testing and searching for my personal needs in m43 rawfile’s. Despite the automated LR things i was stunned and very pleased by the instant optical image improvement of DxO. Prime noise was for smaller sensors critical.
At first i was frustrated i couldn’t recreate the looks i got by my old SP5pro.
Contrast toning was hard to handle. Highlight supresion not as good to manage as in my old SP5.
Long story shorter, i invested in learning the working “under the Hood” of DxO. Used test images to see what happens when i did something.
DxO has parts which needs improvement but i hope not by ruining the flexibility and manual control. The cooking of a meal is great in automode but a tasty dinner is best in total manual control.
So i hope DxO stayes away from LR user interface look a likes and keeps his own identity.

2 Likes

Hi
Maybe depends on your camera or the way you use the software ?
I have better results in C1 for recovering shadows or highlights for my G9 and i also wish dxo light sliders were more selective. Portraits are much better to my taste in C1 too with the color management more powerful. Not talking about masking far more advanced. C1 is also much faster to process.
However i use dxo for most of my pics as on the whole it is more simple to use and for high iso much better. For lanscapes i prefer dxo rending. I don’t print my pics.

C’est tout à fait ça :joy:

1 Like

I don’t get same results as you sorry pal. C1 has many features, not as easy to use as dxo for sure.

I always photograph with a color checker passport and create my own color profile which will look the same in DxO, C1 and LR. No “strange over-processed” look, just a neutral profile to begin with. It’s from there where DxO has problems with certain images, especially those with a combination of deep shadows and bright highlights.

There is no “cooked look of c1”. That’s your opinion. C1 is a fine programme as is DxO, both have their advantages over the other.

2 Likes

PL4 is very capable of highlight/shadow recovery if one is willing to take the time to learn how to properly use the toolset at hand. I’ve never run into a properly exposed file that I could not recover shadows and highlights on with PL4 using a combination of smart lighting, selective tone sliders, advanced contrast sliders(Filmpack 5), local adjustments and very rarely exposure compensation. I understand that this process is too lengthy if you have 100s of photos to be delivered under a deadline. In which case I suggest just using C1 or LR and not altering PL4’s exceptionally good highlight/shadow recovery toolset and leaving it as it is for those of us who like it and have the time to use it properly.

1 Like

When you have a 1000plus or a 10.000plus from one day there are groups of the same exposure and DR. Then is selective copy and or making a partcial preset a way to speed up the progres. Take the average trouble exposure of that group of photo’s, adjust as needed, make a preset lf the settings, go to the preseteditor, turn of all except exposuretools, rename to “ev comp photo 23-500.” Take this partial prest and readjust levels on other groups resave under an other name. This way you have fast lane adjustments.
You can include everything you like, contrast, toning, camera rendering, crop of ratio, and more.
Trow away the presets when your done ore store them in a folder named to the asignment.
(that said, now we need go create a preset, and edit this in a seperate step/place to partial, if the right click in the pulldown directly popup the partial preset selecting window it will be better used by people. Then it works as selective copy-pasting but then saved in the preset folder.)

1 Like
  1. I would love to have better and more color control options.
    Not just for Saturation and Luminance but I want to be able to:
  • Adjust Saturation based on Luminance. So you can desaturate shadows and highlights or what ever you like in-between for a cleaner look. A bit like DaVinci Resolve does grading.
  1. Please let me set my own default Color Rendering options. :slight_smile:
    Perhaps:
  • Set a default.
  • Option to add a (partial) preset on top of current adjustments.

I do not want Canon 1000D every time I activate the rendering option only to have to click and scroll around to get my most used ones - which in my case are a mix of Nikons.
I know I can copy paste specific corrections it’s a pain.
Applying a preset today wipes and replaces all you have done.

2 Likes

Yes indeed!
Swappable X/Y axis for all methods would be very powerful!

1 Like