Weak update

To Whom it may concern, and I hope the marketing dept views this and all the above comments.

I am a Photographer in the Chilterns UK, I have since it’s inception used and instilled others of the incredible ease and flexibility that this set of effectively “Plugins” gives to Photographers that is NIK software … intuitive interface, simple actions to achieve complex results compared to PS edit, superior B&W work flow (SiverEfex) which I believe still to be the best in the industry is just one example
I Judge in the club circuit and demo editing software NIK being the most regularly requested I also believe because it’s ease of use and shallow learning curve … When DxO resurrected NIK I thought why not, If DxO can go to the trouble to pick up the batten, refix the numerous compatibility issues it developed through well no software engineers drinking coffee … the least I can do is support it with my hard earned fun tickets … I think it was £39.99 which was I thought fair.
Now less then one year later I’m asked to pay a further £49.99 (For a loyal member UPGRADE and only if I act quickly) for the exact some features, albeit a few more presets, and software that I don’t to be honest need.
So how when asked at the next demo when someone asks “Do you think it;s worth upgrading again and is it good value for money” ?
I do truly NOT know development cost and the overheads but this does seem to be generating a storm in your most important revenue base … your existing customers.

6 Likes

At least you don’t also own DxO PhotoLab Elite with FilmPack 5 and ViewPoint 3 like most of the rest of us, Allan. You are getting something (unwanted software) for your extra dosh. The rest of us are only getting the bug fixes which we already paid for.

2 Likes

They did incorporate 2 of the top 3 voted requests into the 2.0 version, so it isn’t as if the upgrade provides no value. However the only one of those top 3 requests I cared about (native Affinity support) was not included – so this time they will not be getting my money.

2 Likes

I switched to DxO last Fall to get away from Adobe subscriptions. I have not been disappointed, for the type of photography I do it has worked very well for me.
Yes we are charged for upgrades, but I don’t expect a free lunch. I am more interested in keeping DxO in business and creating new and improved software. With Adobe you pay every month, with DxO you pay for the occasional upgrade and you don’t have to buy the upgrade to keep using the software.
Being now able to access the NIC plugins directly with DxO is a real plus for me.

2 Likes

avraham, that’s what many here did with Photolab 2, buy it to keep DxO afloat. And this Nik 2 is what we get as reward!

2 Likes

Like many, I’m a little disappointed and frustrated that DXO doesn’t have the resources to give us more feature updates, but I’m glad that after their bankruptcy last year they are, at least, still in business and able to give us Photolab 2 and the Nik Collection 2.

I hope they are becoming more solvent and will eventually be able to increase the number of new and updated features in upcoming releases. If they are to survive, the very popular Nik Collection may be their key to it. Some of us may not be very happy with the way they are marketing Nik 2, or their upgrade pricing model, but it may be a necessity for them in order to bring in new customers and maintain sufficient cash flow to survive. For that reason they may be, unfortunately, willing to alienate some existing customers.

Mark

1 Like

Another point that many seem to have forgotten in their disappointment is that DxO inherited Nik. It had been free while abandoned, but before that it was a very expensive product suite. Put that all together: to further develop Nik is a very big investment in time and labor. So for DxO to focus on the most-wanted improvements and bundle PhotoLab Essentials into it seems reasonable to me. Sure, it’s an emotional letdown. It’s nice that Nik was cheaper for us last year, but we’re not entitled to more of that. DxO’s bad marketing aside, we as buyers need to take ownership of our motives and expectations - a harsh reality, but reality nevertheless.

4 Likes

Absolutely agree. Some have indicated extreme disappointment and have vowed that DXO will not receive another dime of their money for anything less than a very substantial upgrade. It’s there money, and it’s their right. But my point of view is different.

After many years of using their competitor’s post processing solutions, I discovered PhotoLab Elite v1, Viewpoint and Filmpack around 18 months ago I immediately fell in love with DXO’s products, approach to post processing, ease of use and consistently great results, and I have never looked back. I purchased DXO’s first version of the Nik Collection, as soon as available, to further demonstrate my support.

I use PhotoLab and the Nik Collection almost every single day. I will continue to support them because the thought of DXO and their products disappearing from the scene is far more concerning to me than the relatively small outlay for annual upgrades.

Mark

7 Likes

I’m afraid I have to add my voice to the chorus of dissatisfied Nik users. As a gesture of support and good faith I ponied up the $50 a year ago and got an update that brought me nothing of value. But I wanted to support the software I love so I figured I’d take one for the team.

Now, it seems the “next version” of Nik is here but again it seems to offer precious little that is of use to me. (I use Photoshop.) I don’t have time to fully evaluate the trial version before June 30 when the 25% off deal expires so that means the price to me will be $80. Just doesn’t seem worth it.

3 Likes

Hi David - - You may find some information (on using the Nik Collection with PS) and inspiration here

John M

Thanks, John-M, I’ll have a look.
David

1 Like

This is also helpful:

The New Nik Collection 2 - Is it Worth it?
by Robin Whalley

I’m leaning more toward upgrading.

1 Like