Vignetting Correction too strong - Request Feature to adopt lens profile

And this would explain why I am not seeing any problem with DxO’s vignetting corrections with images from my {OM-D E-M1 iii + M.Z 12-100mm} combo - - as I have the Shading Comp. setting set to OFF.

Note: Given we’re all using DxO’s excellent {body+lens} Optical Correction Modules I reckon it’s safest and simplest to have in-camera settings for lens-related corrections = OFF … and then allow DxO to do it’s “magic”, without potential for confusion.

John M

1 Like

Use tag 109 on Exiftool is Shading compensation there is also tag 181 Shading compensation2 that is also On

Yes but if you have images have it set to on you want Photolab to recognise it instead of overcorrecting it.
If you shoot video or jpeg you tend to leave this setting on it may happen you forget it

Ok so DxO could see if it’s active and adjust strenght of there own vignetting correction accordingly.
Even then it would be interesting to know which, shading compensation or dxo vignetting correction does the best job. (i have to look if this also is active on jpeg mode.)
Some samples of more camera’s placed here could answer this question.

The default setting for Shading Compensation is OFF, so when DXO test cameras/lenses there is no issue. I agree if anyone is bothered by this simply don’t turn on Shading Compensation. Seems a bit of a non issue.

1 Like

The issue is i didn’t know that shading compensation is actualy hardboiling corrections in a raw file.
I suspected that it only aplied on oocjpeg and a parameter set in exif of raw. Ignore the parameter means no double correction by DxO. Or use the lens parameaters build in exif by camerasoftware. (distortion and such) as optical correction as some /most rawdevelopers do.

In this case DxO applies there optical corrections and they didn’t know eighter that the raw file is effected. (reading the comments i assume this.)

I agree most sensible action is turning it off in camera. (If vignetting correction is also effective in dxo’s jpeg mode.)

:slightly_smiling_face:

The Olympus E-M1 II (v3.0) manual doesn’t warn that shading compensation is applied to RAW - only that it doesn’t work with teleconverters and extension tubes. So I never would have guessed that it would affect the RAW image. :astonished: Thank you for discovering this. Since I shoot both JPEG and RAW, it was a rather arbitrary decision for me to leave Shading Compensation off, in order to see the natural vignette in the reference JPEG while leaving correction on by default in PhotoLab for RAW images.

I remember many years back there was a discussion on the forum about “in-camera-optical corrections” and the conclusion was then - turn it off in camera.

1 Like

So what you are saying is that I open my images with adobe bridge and they display correctly in all cases then I go into DxOPhotolab for processing and they are incorrectly adjusted by default and this is acceptable?
I would think that either DxO switches off vignetting correction by default for all MFT cameras or reads the exif that actually tells you what happened is a better choice than producing incorrect files.
A RAW converter has to deal with exif information is not difficult

Yes, the fact that Olympus actually applies the correction to the RAW/ORF file surprises me too (and that’s probably what caught-out DxO) - - It seems Olympus has “violated” expected behaviour in this case.

I had a look in the EXIF data for a .ORF file (via ExifToolGUI) and found the setting clearly declared:
image … Compensation is OFF, in my case

John M

There are no correction parameters in the exif file. The shading compensation is implemented directly altering the raw data you only know that was done but not what was done
The appropriate response would be to disable further corrections in the software and issue a warning vignetting correction already applied by the camera

Why would anyone want to enable a camera function that permanently changes a raw file? It’s a personal choice but I would never want my raw files to be permanently impacted by this “feature” which seems designed for jpg’s.
Note: Adobe raw converters only apply the lens corrections that are embedded in the raw file which directly match the in camera jpg. If you want to limit your raws to be equivalent of jpg’s it’s a personal choice but not one I would make.

2 Likes

i turned it off at this moment and let it “on”/active at a custom EZ function (jpeg only)
Longshutter noise reduction : active. (raw altering) (red noise reduction)
Diffractioncompensation “auto” (also raw altering?)

I would be interested in some insight about if the other two has effect or not in DxO’s optical module.
in a good or bad way.

yes i agree, a warning would be helpful. (at first in the manual of my camera!)
But if DxO can read the exif to pop up this warning if needed that would also be great.

In-camera diffraction compensation does not affect the RAW image. It applies rather effective deconvolution sharpening to the camera’s JPEG image when shooting at small apertures. I rarely shoot at apertures that would benefit from it, but did test it a few years ago against DxO’s RAW lens sharpening. I remember being very impressed with both but liking DxO’s result better.

2 Likes

Adobe RAW works correctly because it does not correct vignetting as the embedded lens profile does not contain vignetting corrections.
Photolab does not because it ignores the exif flag and makes assumptions that in most cases are correct but not in this case
What is everyone choice is not for anybody else to question. If you shoot RAW and JPEG in fact you may want to leave the setting on, it does not correct vignetting 100% and is very effective

My suggestion is similar to others. Disable in body shading and do all correction post production. Manually or with a recipe if no optics module exists. These are (I believe) necessary concessions you make when your use case doesn’t fit a typical scenario.

vignetting

Thanks for your suggestion but I have hundreds of images already with the setting on. So I would like my software to recognise that and work properly which is what adobe camera raw does

2 Likes

The Olympus Menu setting to add vignetting control (shading compensation) does affect RAWS. I have proven this, as have others, and once the RAW has the data embedded, it can not be undone (by any method I am aware of). It is a rather crude vignetting solution and can sometimes be seen as banding… several rings visible from centre outwards, in areas of a photo that are underexposed and of uniform brightness.
DXO would have to find a way of stripping the Shading Compensation data out of a RAW EXIF and advising this is their default handling method, or advise users that there is either a choice, or that nothing can be done and they should switch off the in camera setting.
It is an important issue brought up by “interceptor121” as vignetting control, done badly, can ruin a lens character. The Panaleica 42.5mm f1.2 has a beautiful vignetting character that creates a focus on the subject and enhances the image in most cases. I sometimes add a custom vignetting control when processing RAW to produce some correction, but starting out with “corrected” RAW from the in camera correction, creates a mess dealing with it.
DXO has the best lens profiles in the business, and needs to address this. Their vignetting control feature is superb but is ruined by the Olympus in camera correction.

Also in the panasonics.
It’s corrected before stored in rw2.
Ireversable i am afraid.
Best option is turn in camera correction off.

Spot on
In my view the following are required

1. Disable Vignetting correction from default DxO correction. Most lenses end up with far too bright frame and the image does not gain anything
  2. Detect if shading compensation was already applied and in that case grey out the DxO correction or issue a warning.

Although I agree that the setting can create banding there are situations where you use the camera for video and it works OK and you may then leave it set. So detecting the setting is appropriate as well as not correcting automatically