Using the clone/repair tool on top of local adjustment masks gives bad results

I used an Auto Mask to erase a shadow being cast on a concrete path and the grass next to it. Raising exposure and moving white balance toward yellow and red neutralized the spot, but left a colored boundary.

Before local adjustments:

shadow before la

After local adjustments:

shadow after la

I decided to try a combination of cloning and healing using the Repair tool. However, both modes darken the boundary despite copying pixels from the interior of the lightened area. The healing mask completely darkens the spot on which it’s applied. A clone mask creates a black border around itself:

It appears that the Repair tool is drawing pixels from the original image before a local adjustment mask was applied. I’ve uploaded my test image for review: P4240023.ORF and its .dop file.

Applying cloned repairs from above the patch where local adjustments were applied results in errors of the opposite kind: a significant brightening of the patch that might correspond with with the amount of exposure adjustment in the local correction:

So the only solution I see here is to export to TIFF after local adjustments, then apply repairs to the TIFF. Because the automask doesn’t make a clean correction of the shadow, repairs must be made after that step, not before.

Could you please submit the pic and dop-file – I don’t see any.

They’re uploaded for DxO staff at upload.dxo.com.

Hello @Egregius,

• Yep, this is exactly the way it works.
    Btw, did you try to apply Moire and Purple fringing to get rid of that purple boundary?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like