User assigned keyboard shortcuts

It would be helpful to be able to assign our own keyboard shortcuts to PL functionality rather than the ones defined by Dxo’s development staff. That would make processing faster and easier for users.

1 Like

Very good idea … and very old request towards DxO.
I would support you but I have no vote left.

Pascal

1 Like

FYI: If you’re on a Mac, you can create your own keyboard shortcuts for any application in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts. I have no idea if Windows offers a similar feature.

Great.
This is not on the native Windows OS.

This would be to start an application, not for functionality within the application, and that is what I was referring to. For example, I would like to be able to apply a preset with a keyboard shortcut instead of having to search through the pallet looking for it.

Not to apply to every image (so I could not use it when the images are loaded), but select images as I process.

2 Likes

On a Mac, it’s for functionality within the app. Any menu item can be assigned a keyboard shortcut, even items that come with default shortcuts (the new shortcut overrides the default shortcut). It won’t work for assigning a preset unless that preset appears somewhere in one of the menus or a submenu.

1 Like

So you are saying that if there already is a keyboard shortcut, then that shortcut can be over-ridden? I did not know that, and I will check to see how that works.

However I do not think that many of the PL functions are tied to keyboard shortcuts or, if they are, I am not aware of that. In particular the stuff I need to use in PL when processing do not have keyboard shortcuts that I am aware of. I know I can rank an image by using the numeric keys, but I do not see how to apply presets or, for that matter, how to activate or adjust any of the normal adjustments like ClearView, HSL, exposure and so on.

1 Like

+1

For windows the shortcuts are not very comfortable.
Strg+1 (2,3,4,5) for rating is complicated, i prefer to hit only the number. Also p for pick and x to reject an picture makes no sense.
I use with my right hand the mouse and have the left hand on the left side of my keyboard. It´s nearly impossible to hit p and x blindfolded. If I could edit them to A and D it would be very helpful.

Thank you

2 Likes

Have to disagree about p and x to pick and reject a picture make a lot of sense to me (particularly x is international). X means cross out.

It’s not advisable to convert the main number row at the top of the keyboard to single touch shortcuts as that means times where you should enter numbers will occasionally - if you have application focus wrong - start to cause a lot of issues

On the positive side, if you have a numeric keyboard you can set ratings on to the numeric keys (which can have a different value for the OS) which avoids conflicts (as long as you don’t use the numeric part of the keyboard the rest of the time). I do this with FastRAWViewer for rating (otherwise on option-#. Like you I find the modifier slows me down when rating). It’s still a problem when on my MBP though.

2 Likes

Please merge with Better keyboard shortcuts through the application consistent between Mac/Win and bonus for a shortcut editor @sgospodarenko so we get a better view on the count for all these related requests.

1 Like

This does not work for DxO PhotoLab for some reason. You can’t select it as the App but you can select DxO PureRAW. Strange.

I use a Logitec G512 keyboard. It interfaces through Logitecs own program that they call G HUB. Through G HUB You can assign any key to be any other key. You can also program a special key combination or single key to evoke a series of keystrokes. Beyond that the hardware itself is completely professional. It comes in a few different key types for your preference. I prefer the stiff at the top with a loud click keys myself. But it alsocomes in totally silent keys as well. Another amazing feature of the thing is that EVERY key on the keyboard can have any colour you like assigned to it per program and it will automatically detect what program you’re using. So that solves a lot of problems. But it does nothing if there is no key command for the task in the program.

It’s not a budget keyboard but in the scope of photo-taking, it is a deal. If a camera/video editing company it the thing would cost many times what it does lol! I think I paid $150 for it and it’s selling for less than that now from what I could see just now.

I thought I would also mention that after being so happy with the keyboard I invested in a Logitech G600 mouse. The one I bought is frankly so intense that I don’t even have the dexterity to use it well. The thing has 12 buttons under your thumb, two buttons under the palm of your hand, a scroll wheel that also has a down click and left and right clicks, and for those who are even more intense, it offers a third finger click. Ummmm ya. So 20 assignable switches and a scroll wheel. I can’t remember what I assign things to. It also glows and is fully assignable through the same software.

For my workflow, additional keyboard shortcuts would save time and reduce errors. Specifically, 2 come to mind. 1) when drawing a mask, having a command to completely fill the selected area would be more efficient and accurate. 2) being able to adjust exposure in small increments (.1) up or down, possibly with a CMD up arrow, CMD down arrow. I frequently click the wrong arrow (they are pretty small).

I’ve been advocating, here and there in the forums, that any menu selectable action in PL, FP, or VP should also be selectable via user-defined shortcuts.

this is as much an accessibility issue as it’s a functionality issue. And please, give some thought as to how active sliders could be moved or positioned via the keyboard.

2 Likes

I second the request to be able to set keyboard shortcuts myself.
There are some easily accessible shortcuts in DxO-PhotoLab for functions that I use very rarely; on the other hand, the shortcuts for functions that I use frequently are rather inconvenient and difficult for me to remember.

1 Like

Are you on Mac or Windows, Kaffee?

@uncoy, I’m on Mac.

Every function should be mappable on shortcut by the user.
And it should be possible to save and reload on disk their configuration.
All proffessionnal softwares I know have that for a long time.

Every function should be mappable WITH ARGUMENTS !
For example :
ALT + C : Lens sharpness/global = 0.
ALT + D : Lens sharpness/global = 1.

1 Like

Cool. You can get exactly what you want from DxO PhotoLab (and almost all Mac programs) with Peter N. Lewis’s Keyboard Maestro 10. Peter N. Lewis has been developing Keyboard Maestro for decades now, ensuring its compatibility across all OS X and macOS versions. You’ll never be at the mercy of a software developer again, when creating custom keyboard shortcuts or even macros. I use Keyboard Maestro to harmonise my mail shortcuts between Mailmate, Mail and Unibox (I mostly use old Eudora keyboard commands which are hardwired to my hands). Works a treat.

There’s lots of other useful hidden commands one can add, such as to turn off all screens (without putting the computer to sleep or locking it), opening and closing CD trays on modern keyboards (key is gone), typing instead of pasting clipboards, shift delete forward, like current Spotify song via keyboard, paste Markdown links in any application.

There must be similar programs on Windows. I’ve been using Keyboard Maestro for fifteen-odd years and feel confident recommending it. The only issue with Keyboard Maestro is that it’s so capable that recommending it to “normal” users is pointless. It’s for power users and those who like to run their computer from the keyboard. Linux programmers might scoff at it as they like to work from the command line. Keyboard Maestro is about supercharging one’s GUI apps. In terms of continuity, KM’s macro language has outlasted AppleScript (which is now Automator).

1 Like