Use of Deep Prime results in "unknown error" and export fails

Hello, I recently upgraded to PhotoLab 4 on an HP Desktop computer with an AMD Ryzen 5, 16 GByte of RAM, and an AMD Radeon RX550 graphics card. The Desktop runs Windows 10 with all updates installed (version 20H2). Over the weekend I edited a couple of pictures and had the problem, that for several images the export with DeepPrime resulted in “an unknown error” (I have a German version which thus stated: “unbekannter Fehler”) and failed. When I exported the same image with only Prime, it worked with no problem. The weird thing is that for other images the DeepPrime worked with no complaints. I could not locate / solve the problem changing e.g. the performance settings whether to use the graphics card or whether or not to use openCL. Another problem was that in some cases with the DeepPrime export metadata got stripped from the images (camera and lens info was missing, for example). I usually export to 16 bit Tiff images from PhotoLab. A solution to this would be greatly appreciated. All the best, Mathias

Hello @mbeller,

• Mathias, do you have Local corrections applied to that images and what output format (DNG, JPG or TIFF) was selected for that failed processing?
  • This is strange. Are you sure you did not enable “Remove Exif data” option for that format?

Could you, please, be more detailed with this case - what format, what settings do you selected when the lens info get missed?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Hi Svetlana,
sorry for the slow response. I just checked again and my results still vary. My exports are basically the development of Nikon nef Raw images to 16bit Tiff files. I did not use local adjustments in the failed exports. From five exports I tried four just worked and one failed with the “Unbekannter Verarbeitungsfehler” (my translation: unknown processing error).

Concerning the loss of the metadata: yes, I did not select the “remove EXIF data” option.

All the best, Mathias

Good morning @mbeller,

Okay, then please, provide me with your logs ( Log files – %UserProfile%\Documents\DxO PhotoLab 4 logs) for the first issue. And the original + sidecar and output where the lens value got missed after processing for the second issue.
Please, upload them via upload.dxo.com under your forum name in the ‘support ticket number’ field and let me know when ready.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi Svetlana, thank you so much for investigating this! I uploaded everything. Please let me know if you need any other information. All the best, Mathias

Hi Svetlana - - In case it helps;

I also have an AMD Radeon RX550 graphics card - - To have it work effectively with DeepPRIME exports, I have flag WinMLUseGraphicQueue = True.

John

1 Like

Hello once again,

I’ve got the files, they will be investigated.

@mbeller could you, please, provide me with the screenshot of your Preferences (Performance tab)?
You can attach it directly here.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi Svetlana, this is it:

Thank you @mbeller.
@Lucas can you, please, have a look at the issue :point_up_2: Radeon RX 550 is not marked with ‘*’ but the processing with DeepPrime fails.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello @mbeller,

Unfortunately the logs do not look to contain enough information to investigate further right now.
Could you copy DebugLog.nlog in your logs folder (%UserProfile%\Documents\DxO PhotoLab 4 logs), relaunch PL4, reproduce the issue with DeepPRIME and us again your logs through upload.dxo.com ?

Apart from this, as a temporary solution you may use DeepPRIME reliably by selecting the “CPU” menu entry in Preferences > Advanced > DeepPRIME acceleration. It’ll be slower than with your GPU though so up to you to choose between reliability and speed for now.

Best regards,
Lucas

Good morning @mbeller,

About your second issue with missing camera lens in tiff. Here is your image and everything is ok there:

We have the info removed when the user enables “Remove exif data” option.
And there is one more case which should be fixed on NIK side - lens info gets unavailable if you export the image to NIK in tiff output format and then save it back.
So can it be your case?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

I had been having the same issue with an export to DNG resulting in an error when using DeepPrime with images that I had used local corrections with. This issue has now been fixed in the latest release of PL4 that was just issued a few days ago, it is listed as one of the fixed bugs. I can confirm in my own use this has indeed been fixed.

1 Like

Hello together,

I have the same problem as mbeller with an unknown error by using deep prime. I have a ASUS Cerberus-GTX1070TI. I have no idea, what’s the reason for this.

grafik

Regards,
Maik

Hello together,
additionally I get the message:

grafik

Regards,
Maik

Hello @Muca and welcome to the forum!

Let me ask @Lucas to investigate it.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello @Muca,

Could you zip and upload PhotoLab logs (%UserProfile%\Documents\DxO PhotoLab 4 logs) through upload.dxo.com, using your forum name instead of ticket number?

Hello Lucas,
have you identified the reason for the problem? I have uploaded the Log-File. The problem occurs by chance and I have no clue, what to do. To I tried again to export some virtual copies to Lightroom using Deep Prime with the following result:

Should I attach again the logs?

Deactivating the GPU is no alternative, because the processing of the pictures takes to long.

Best regards,
Maik

Hello @Muca,

Next time after uploading the files, please notify us. Otherwise we may miss it or have a 2 weeks delay like here. I should have told you initially :confused:

Your issue looks similar to another one we’ve seen, but the current details of logs are unfortunately not enough. So we’ll need more logs:

Could you, please, take this file DebugLog.nlog (467 Bytes) and put it in %UserProfile%\Documents\DxO PhotoLab 4 logs folder (please, remove all the logs .txt files from there). Then reproduce the issue with export with DeepPrime. After that provide us with the new logs that will be created and notify us once they’re uploaded.

“Unknown processing error” persists occasionally in PL 4.2 when using DeepPRIME. Already reported the error to DxO support. Since the error is intermittent, could it be a “race condition” related to concurrent GPU access to NVIDIA GeForce MX250 ?

Good morning @pierre5018 ,

As you have already created a support ticket, I guess @Lucas can investigate it and request additional information there. Could you, please, just give the ticket ID?

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.