Upgrading from PL 3 to 4

I have just downloaded v4 and see that it wants to install in a new sub directory of C:\Program File\DxO\Dxo PhotoLab 4. But the previous version 3 is still there in the sub directory C:\Program File\DxO\ Dxo PhotoLab 3.

Do I need first to uninstall and/or deactivate v3 before installing this upgrade v4?

Thanks for any help.

Richard

You can install them side by side

2 Likes

Hello @ralbrux and welcome to the forum!

Our versions can be installed independently as @Sigi correctly said - side by side.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Except that PL4 may render .dop files you’ve generated in PL3 unusable in the old version, since there’s no versioning of these. That is, you can install them side-by-side, but running them side-by-side is a different matter.

Unless something has changed.

Dear Sigi & sgospodarenko,

Thanks for your prompt responses.

Having installed v 4 along side v3 I see that there are two Pl databases - one for v3 and one for v4.

Is that the expected behavior? I assume so since they can be installed side by side on the same box.

Since I only started using v3 a few weeks back I haven’t done a lot of work on my photos in Pl v3. But I wonder if I can simply point v4 to the database used by v3 which has the work I have done on a few photos without creating a problem?

Again thanks for your help.

Richard

For databases yes but dop files are unique

• Yes, expected.
  • Actually, when you first run PL4 it inherits your PL3 database and all the corrections you’ve done in PL3 are automatically reflected in PL4.

But as @asvensson mentioned if you do the corrections in PL4 and then open the same image in PL3 you won’t see PL4 corrections there.

Overall, if you decide to switch from trial to the licensed version of PL4, you won’t need PL3 anymore as far as I’m concerned.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

So if I’m upgrading can i uninstall PL3?

Yes, but I suggest to install PL4 first, play a bit and then uninstall PL3.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Again thanks to Franky and sgospodarenko. I think I understand. concerning the database and the dop sidecar files.

It was my intention to uninstall v3 for which I see no utility once v4 is installed and I have verified access to my images and previous work done in v3. As I said, I’ve only been using Pl for a short while, it was easy enough for me to verify in v4 what I had done to a dozen or so images in v3.

Thanks for your help.
Richard

2 Likes